Montoya given 2 yr Extension.

DON

Bergevin could also be setting the table for the upcoming Price negotiations. We should not ignore the possibility that Price may look  at his options next year instead of resigning blindly, for example he may look at the possibility of going back home to play for Vancouver, or he may not feel Montreal is doing enough to become a top contender, and therefore may look elsewhere to avoid having a legacy of the great goaltender who never won the cup.   

So on one hand Bergevin probably wants to make Price more comfortable. I'm guessing Price gets along well with Montoya, Montoya isn't out to take his spot as number 1, he's very experienced, he's been quite good, and that removes some pressure off Price's shoulders. On the other hand, in the catastrophic case were Price decides to not resign with Montreal, Bergevin will need to change his plans, and having an experienced quality goaltender like Montoya will help, especially if the Plan B is one of the kids like Charlie Lindgren. 

Either way signing Montoya is probably a good thing...

I don't see what has been so great about Montoya, myself. It's been an under-discussed fact of this season that Condon - who was garbage last season - has significantly better numbers this year. We may have bet on the wrong horse. In any case, this gives us a goalie to expose in the expansion draft, so I suppose it's a decent move.

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't see what has been so great about Montoya, myself. It's been an under-discussed fact of this season that Condon - who was garbage last season - has significantly better numbers this year. We may have bet on the wrong horse. In any case, this gives us a goalie to expose in the expansion draft, so I suppose it's a decent move.

Montoya was putting up starter numbers until the Columbus game broke him.

And yes, this has everything to do with the expansion draft.

3 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Montoya was putting up starter numbers until the Columbus game broke him.

That's true. What are his numbers if we discount that one game, I wonder? In any case, 11 games is insufficient data...the contract has to be informed by his wider career. Just looking at his career numbers, he seems to oscillate quite oddly between strong and weak seasons. Weird.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's true. What are his numbers if we discount that one game, I wonder? In any case, 11 games is insufficient data...the contract has to be informed by his wider career. Just looking at his career numbers, he seems to oscillate quite oddly between strong and weak seasons. Weird.

10/13 vs. Buffalo: .968

10/15 vs. Ottawa: .921

10/18 vs. Pittsburgh: Shutout

10/26 vs. Brooklyn: .929

11/04 vs. Columbus: .750

11/13 vs. Chicago: .914

11/18 vs. Carolina: .833

12/06 vs. St. Louis: .903

12/23 vs. Columbus: .917

12/29 vs. Florida: .939

So with exception to three games (11/04, 11/18, 12/06) he's been a .910+ goaltender, which is a low end starter/very good backup. Only 10 games at this point I feel is pretty low for him. He played a lot in October but between 11/19 and 12/23, he only playing one game was bad goalie management by Therrien.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

10/13 vs. Buffalo: .968

10/15 vs. Ottawa: .921

10/18 vs. Pittsburgh: Shutout

10/26 vs. Brooklyn: .929

11/04 vs. Columbus: .750

11/13 vs. Chicago: .914

11/18 vs. Carolina: .833

12/06 vs. St. Louis: .903

12/23 vs. Columbus: .917

12/29 vs. Florida: .939

So with exception to three games (11/04, 11/18, 12/06) he's been a .910+ goaltender, which is a low end starter/very good backup. Only 10 games at this point I feel is pretty low for him. He played a lot in October but between 11/19 and 12/23, he only playing one game was bad goalie management by Therrien.

:thumbs_up:

I still think that that alone doesn't justify a contract. The argument has to b3 that his career body of work justifies it...which it probably does.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

:thumbs_up:

I still think that that alone doesn't justify a contract. The argument has to b3 that his career body of work justifies it...which it probably does.

1. Montreal needs a goalie exposed for the expansion draft

2. The deal is so cheap if Montoya craps out they can stuff him in the minors at a $100K charge and call up Lindgren.

3. We're talking a two year extension at $1M. I think his career justifies it.

Just now, Machine of Loving Grace said:

1. Montreal needs a goalie exposed for the expansion draft

2. The deal is so cheap if Montoya craps out they can stuff him in the minors at a $100K charge and call up Lindgren.

3. We're talking a two year extension at $1M. I think his career justifies it.

On the second point, it'd be even less than that on a buried cap charge.  The minimum salary next year jumps to $650k which makes the amount that can be buried jump to $1.025 million.

I'm just walking in the door (which is why there's no write-up yet on the site, I'll get to that shortly) and I'm pleased with this news.  Good cap hit for a good backup and it solves the expansion issue.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He's a pedestrian 4-4-1, but his GAA is 1.98 and save percentage is .932.  Slightly better than Carey's