Plekanec...what has happened to him?

DON

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Kypreos just noted in the 2nd intermission that the Habs may be putting him on the trade block soon if he doesn't turn things around.

I saw that and with the way he has been playing it makes sense. I guess it would be good for Montreal to get rid of his contract too, if indeed this is the end of the line for him.

He played decently tonight though had a couple blocked shots but his offensive game has completely diminished. 

He's been our worst center, and it seems like he gave up after he cashed in for the last time.  Maybe it's just his declining body.  If we could use that cap space on a player who was worth $4M, let alone $6M, it would be huge, but I don't see any teams wanting to touch that contract until at least the offseason.

You really don't know if he just has had nagging injuries all year or maybe he has lost a step. He has too much hockey acumen to not get good value for him. I don't have a problem with him getting a reduced role, much like a Stevie Y in his latter years. The waiver draft complicates this issue for me.

The waiver draft may actually save the Habs 6 mill on a center that won't get 10 goals. I said it at the time,, possibly MB worst resigning. 

If they can't trade him, hopefully Vegas will take him. 

It is obvious to me that he no longer has the extra step he used to. His offensive game was always based on speed, and he no longer has it. He's done as a top-6 C, but still has value as a defensive guy. If MB can trade him, I'd be all for it.

22 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It is obvious to me that he no longer has the extra step he used to. His offensive game was always based on speed, and he no longer has it. He's done as a top-6 C, but still has value as a defensive guy. If MB can trade him, I'd be all for it.

Agreed. I recall Koivu among others, whose skills depreciated and they just let him walk. Get some value for Plekanec or be content with a reduced role.

1 minute ago, BlueKross said:

Agreed. I recall Koivu among others, whose skills depreciated and they just let him walk. Get some value for Plekanec or be content with a reduced role.

Who knew the Danault trade would be so huge? Without him, we might not have been able to survive Pleks's regression. The team still needs a legit #2 C, but MB has certainly done a fine job of adding good, strong depth at C.

He just seems to of lost his competitiveness and you don't seem to see that 2nd effort anymore. Would actually like to hear it has been a high ankle sprain lingering issue, but dosent seem likely.  

11 minutes ago, DON said:

He just seems to of lost his competitiveness and you don't seem to see that 2nd effort anymore. Would actually like to hear it has been a high ankle sprain lingering issue, but dosent seem likely.  

I noticed a decline last season. But as is typical of players in the early stages of decline, he also had some productive spells that occluded the deeper pattern.  I seriously doubt that he has suddenly lost his dedication and work ethic after 10 years as Mr. Reliable.  It's all about the speed with him, or lack thereof.

21 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

True that Pleky doesn't have the speed that allowed him to get points, but he's still a very good defensive player who can stop the other teams top scorers. The biggest problem with Pleky is his contract. If he was making 3.5 million instead of 6 million, I don't think we would complain as much about his game!

30 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

true the Pleky doesn't have the speed that allowed him to get points, but he's still a very good defensive player who can stop the other teams top scorers. The biggest problem with Pleky is his contract. If he was making 3.5 million instead of 6 million, I don't think we would complain as much about his game!

Yes, I agree. I have a ton of respect for what Pleks has meant to this franchise. But he is now a bottom-6 player, and his cap hit makes no sense. Also, IF you can turn a declining player into a decent pick or (less likely) prospect, that's good asset management...

Anyway, I'm not screaming for him to be dealt. Just saying that I wouldn't cry if it happens.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Who knew the Danault trade would be so huge? Without him, we might not have been able to survive Pleks's regression. The team still needs a legit #2 C, but MB has certainly done a fine job of adding good, strong depth at C.

I don't remember who said what at the start of year, but I do remember that Danault was not highly regarded on this board. Some people never get an opportunity but the youth on this team is getting an opportunity and Danault for one is proving the naysayers wrong. Kudos to MB and staff.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Habsfan said:

true the Pleky doesn't have the speed that allowed him to get points, but he's still a very good defensive player who can stop the other teams top scorers. The biggest problem with Pleky is his contract. If he was making 3.5 million instead of 6 million, I don't think we would complain as much about his game!

How bout this; Habs paying $6.912,500 combined for #2 & #3 centres, is that easier to take (if we say Desharnais is or will be a winger going forward).

He looked awful towards the end of last season and if memory serves end of the season before (though that may be wrong).

I've always been a big Pleks fan but the writing has been on the wall and shouldn't have surprised people.

I wouldn't cry if Pleks were dealt but I'd want another player who could help us in the playoffs this season. If after all the praise he's received throughout his career we only got a draft pick or marginal prospect back, I'd personally be disappointed. 

Regardless of value and contract, if we deal Plekanec away, we're one injury away from Therrien being forced to use Desharnais as a top 2 center. I'm even more done with that script than the one being written about Plekanec. 

I agree with with the general tone and sentiments in this thread but I do think Plekanec can still have a positive impact on this team. We've also become more talented up front, so Plekanec's deficiencies have been magnified and he also doesn't have to be a go to guy. 

17 hours ago, BlueKross said:

I don't remember who said what at the start of year, but I do remember that Danault was not highly regarded on this board. Some people never get an opportunity but the youth on this team is getting an opportunity and Danault for one is proving the naysayers wrong. Kudos to MB and staff.

I have no problems admitting that I was one of those people. Let's just say I didn't think much of Danault! I am also very happy to say I was wrong about him! Good to see him  get some quality time out there. If Pleky sticks around with the Habs for the next 18 months, then I see him as our no. 3 center. Danault as No. 2 and McCarron as our no. 4

I certainly don't want to see Deharnais back. (again, I've got nothing against the guy, I'm just tired of having so many smurfs on the team!)

During the broadcast last night, Sportsnet's Eric Engels seemed to suggest that Plekanec may already be in play, not that they'd consider putting him on the block if he keeps struggling as Kypreos said.  It's a subtle nuance but it might be worth noting.

Elliotte Friedman had a blurb about Plekanec today in his column:

Speaking of the Canadiens, I don’t believe in coincidences. There was Tomas Plekanec getting 2:42 of power-play time in Monday night’s loss to Washington, scoring their lone goal. It was the team’s first game since Nick Kypreos mentioned the centre as a possible trade candidate. In Montreal’s last three outings (Toronto, Dallas, Nashville), Plekanec was out there for a combined 37 seconds during the man advantage. Monday’s goal was his fourth of the season, which is lower than the club would like, but Plekanec is eighth among forwards in power-play time per game. Nick is correct in saying moving Plekanec is a possibility, but there is one thing standing in the way: They are “all in” this season, and he is Michel Therrien’s most trusted defensive centre. ...

There are quite a few comments on the Habs in this column: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-avalanche-coyotes-setting-high-prices-trade-talks/

I thought Pleks best game was last night vs Washington, he had a lot of chances and looked good all over the ice. I don't see a replacement in place now in what he brings defensively at C. If the Habs are to make a cup run, he may be more valuable to just keep for that. Season is only half over, and if he can play like last night, his season may turn around, and not look like 4 goals by the end...