Can Danault possibly be the 2nd line centre going forward?

Yes, there is no doubt that Vegas would take Shaw. And as Commandant noted there is no way Bergy takes that gamble. I think/ hope that either Radu gets reupped soon or they have a deal in place that is signed after the expansion draft

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's pleasant to contemplate how painless Commandant's list is. I was afraid we were bound to lose Byron, but it's all good - assuming Bergy doesn't do something stupid.

I think our loss will be one of Alexei Emelin or Nathan Beaulieu at this point.  

Weber and Petry will be 2 of the 3 D men protected.  Who is number 3?

The only thing that scares me is that the way this expansion draft breaks down (7 fwds per team, most teams will protect 3 centres), Vegas is going to have very limited options at Centre. If they are trying to fill that hole, Plek and Mitchell might be more attractive.  If they want to go young and build, they could grab a Hudon or Andrighetto.  But realistically I think they go Defence from us.  Emelin is a guy who would have value to them at the 2018 trade deadline.  We could see a few of these types of players for Vegas, guys with one year left on deals that they draft and flip later for picks and prospects. 

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Weber and Petry will be 2 of the 3 D men protected.  Who is number 3?

Who would you want to keep between Beaulieu and Emelin Commandant?

5 minutes ago, KoRP said:

Who would you want to keep between Beaulieu and Emelin Commandant?

Before the season I would say Beaulieu for sure. 

Now I'm leaning (slightly) to Emelin, but not putting that in stone either.  Beaulieu seems like he may never get to where we want him to be. 

Yeah, I fear Beaulieu may never get over those "super bad decision" moments, whereas Emelin is a force physically, and has had a great year thus far.

Still rooting for Beaulieu to end up a legit #4 though by years end

13 hours ago, KoRP said:

Yeah, I fear Beaulieu may never get over those "super bad decision" moments, whereas Emelin is a force physically, and has had a great year thus far.

Still rooting for Beaulieu to end up a legit #4 though by years end

Assuming he's still with the Habs by years end...

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Assuming he's still with the Habs by years end...

Bergevin in interview yesterday noted another young puck moving d-man would be top of wish list, so seems to me Beaulieu is unlikely to go anywhere.

1 minute ago, DON said:

Bergevin in interview yesterday noted another young puck moving d-man would be top of wish list, so seems to me Beaulieu is unlikely to go anywhere.

Depends on where he wants this young puck mover.  If he's talking about top 6, then yes, Beaulieu is likely staying.

But if he's talking about a partner for Weber or Petry, then Beaulieu could be trade material for an upgrade.

15 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Depends on where he wants this young puck mover.  If he's talking about top 6, then yes, Beaulieu is likely staying.

But if he's talking about a partner for Weber or Petry, then Beaulieu could be trade material for an upgrade.

Agreed, but don't think it will happen. Still see them adding a vet d-man or forward at or near deadline for a pick and expendable prospect.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Seems like there is a bit of a gap at D within the organization - a huge drop off after Beaulieu. We must have drafted poorly at that position in recent years, no?

Juulsen and Sergachev are not ready.

Tinordi was a bust. 

Between 2008 and 2012 all Montreal has to show for 32 picks is Chuck, Gallagher, Beaulieu, and maybe Hudon.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Seems like there is a bit of a gap at D within the organization - a huge drop off after Beaulieu. We must have drafted poorly at that position in recent years, no?

Since 2008:

Mac Bennet

Jared Tinordi

Morgan Ellis

Nathan Beaulieu

Josiah Didier

Magnus Nygren

Darren Dietz

Colin Sullivan

Dalton Thrower

Brett Lernout

Nikolas Koberstein

Noah Juulsen

Simon Bourque

Mikhail Sergachev

Victor Mete

Casey Staum

Arvid Henrikson

Number of Defense man drafted per year and number of picks

2008 - 0/5

2009 - 1/8

2010 - 2/5

2011 - 5/7

2012 - 1/7

2013 - 0/8

2014 - 2/6

2015 - 2/5

2016 - 4/7

So that's 29% of draft picks selected were defense man, but a grand total of only 1 of them are currently with the big club 

• Upvote 1

Great analysis, gentlemen!

My guess is that if Tinordi had panned out, things would be looking quite different. But maybe Timmins wants to reassess his approach to D-men. I can't say whether the above info represents performance below the NHL average, but it sure doesn't look very good. Even the moronic Canucks have been able to insert credible young D into their roster at a pretty good clip in recent years - we haven't.

Exactly.

Tinordi's bust really killed us in terms of dmen.

Pretty simple, when Habs drafted Tinordi and Beaulieu, they believed that they would have 2 NHL dmen spots covered for a long period of time À la  Chicago Blackhawks when they started their rebuild with Keith and Seabrook..

While they were believing that, they drafted more and more forwards with high draft picks and traded high draft picks. 

But Tinordi didn't work and pretty much every other dmen but Beaulieu failed as well.

No pleasant surprise between all of Bennett, Dietz, Didier, Ellis, Nygren, etc. If one of them would have panned out good (top 6), the shape of the team and the drafts would have been different for sure.

• Upvote 1