Jan. 11, Habs vs Jets, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

23 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I got a kick out of Johnston's usage at the end of the game.  After the Habs got a four goal lead, I think Therrien (rightfully) decided to try to play him a bit more.  How did Johnston respond?  Gave away the puck leading to a goal allowed on his first shift and then took the unnecessary delay of game penalty on the next one.  His next shift lasted long enough for him to get to the bench from the penalty box and he was sat down at the end of the game.  If he can't be trusted with a three goal lead with minutes to go, when can he be?  Will this be what finally gets him out of the lineup?

God I hope so.

9 hours ago, Toronthab said:

Oh no. .the dreaded 4 goal lead. ... :P

Johnston gets an assist there.. but he was hurt just before.. 

Hahah! This is especially funny to me because me and my roommate will never stop argueing about the "dreaded two goal lead". 

He he refuses to concede that a one goal lead is a worse lead than a two goal lead.. the logic does not compute, and I find it hilarious ?

Well, that was one fun game!

Habs sit 4th in NHL and more surprising also 4th in goals scored. :thumbs_up:

Maybe Koivu was correct about Lehkonen and Danault does his best Mario impersonation with that end to end beauty!

AND 3 game point streak for TP is encouraging also.:youpi:

10 hours ago, Chris said:

I believe i read that Redmond was still not ready due to an injury. 

I'm not sure who else would be available, the bottom pair is really bad. 

I thought so too but one of the links I posted today (I think CTV Montreal's) had a note in there that Redmond is apparently 100% healthy. 

Guest Stogey24
11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I thought so too but one of the links I posted today (I think CTV Montreal's) had a note in there that Redmond is apparently 100% healthy. 

I personally think Therrien was pissed about how Redmond was pinching. Pretty tough getting out of the Therrien dog house. 

There's no question he's a better option than Johnston though 

The funny thing is that Johnston plays like he knows he shouldn't be in there.  

Scherback is also far from ready, I don't trust him at all.  Decent hands and wheels if he can learn da process. AKosty with more brain cells?

Fun to pot 7 though!  The Jets are built for 10 years ago.

That was a fun game.  I am now convinced that Danault, when given talent on his wings, should be our second line center (so pull the trigger and get us that rental scoring winger, MB...ASAP!)  With that move made, a resurgent Plex anchoring our 3rd line, and getting our key players back from injury....we can hang with any team in the league. 

Considering we are the fourth highest scoring team in the NHL, there hasn't been an issue on the wings..... Patch, Radulov, Lehkonen, Byron, Gallagher will be back, Shaw, when healthy we don't have issues there. 

Centre is definitely more concerning to me than wing. 

Centre is also a far more important position. 

Plex looks a lot better playing less minutes, against less capable opponents. 6 M$ for a 3rd line centre is definitely too much, but at least he is doing a good job with new responsibilities.

On the other hand, I don't see what Therrien will do with DD...

He's not getting less capable opponents though.  His defensive zone starts and quality of opposition are as high as they have ever been. 

Less minutes? sure

But the quality of those minutes hasn't changed, his defensive responsiblity is even been upped. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He's not getting less capable opponents though.  His defensive zone starts and quality of opposition are as high as they have ever been. 

Less minutes? sure

But the quality of those minutes hasn't changed, his defensive responsiblity is even been upped. 

I agree, and really don't see the point of trading him this year, Habs need him, producing points or not, he is still doing a great job out there.

Trusted player, and long serving Hab, with a hard to trade big cap hit, no sense giving a player of his caliber away, to get someone who really might not be a better overall player.

Opposing team's offensive stars aren't blowing the Habs out of the water, and a big reason for that, as always, is Pleks.

Cup contenders need players that play defensive minutes as well as he does...

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, KoRP said:

I agree, and really don't see the point of trading him this year, Habs need him, producing points or not, he is still doing a great job out there.

Trusted player, and long serving Hab, with a hard to trade big cap hit, no sense giving a player of his caliber away, to get someone who really might not be a better overall player.

Opposing team's offensive stars aren't blowing the Habs out of the water, and a big reason for that, as always, is Pleks.

Cup contenders need players that play defensive minutes as well as he does...

Pleks was never a great goal scorer, he was always a great defensive guy. I think he still is. I always like to think of him as our current day Carbo. I do not know if trading him is that good an idea. Of course if we get a blow your sox off offer then all bets are off.