McCarron sent down

dlbalr

Considering he was a healthy scratch today and that he was the 13th forward in practice Sunday (before de la Rose came up), it's not a big shocker that the Habs sent McCarron down.

His effectiveness was dropping by the game and as a result, his ice time was fading as well.  He needs top six minutes in the minors to work on his skill game if he wants to be more than a checker in the NHL.  He did a bit better this time up than he did last year at least.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Considering he was a healthy scratch today and that he was the 13th forward in practice Sunday (before de la Rose came up), it's not a big shocker that the Habs sent McCarron down.

His effectiveness was dropping by the game and as a result, his ice time was fading as well.  He needs top six minutes in the minors to work on his skill game if he wants to be more than a checker in the NHL.  He did a bit better this time up than he did last year at least.

Well, as you suggested in discussing DLR, seeing progress in young guys is important. I'm no expert in assessing prospects, but my impression is that Big Mac is on the right track.

7 hours ago, DON said:

Am sure sometime over next 4 or 5 months , if he plays well in Newfoundland, that he will get another shot.

I thought he had some good moments this time up, but like Brian I think said, he seemed to get worse as time went by, thus losing ice time.

Agree, he will be back this year no doubt.

14 hours ago, KoRP said:

I thought he had some good moments this time up, but like Brian I think said, he seemed to get worse as time went by, thus losing ice time.

Agree, he will be back this year no doubt.

Bergevin interview with Nilan, he discusses why McCarron sent down.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/bergevin-we-re-all-business-this-season-1.652284

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Yup, just read any one of my posts about McCarron for the last 3 years, and that was basically what Bergevin said. 

Lmfao!

BC, you want the real skinny, you should listen...

2 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Sorry guys. I just don't see much to get excited about with the big guy. He shows signs now and then, but he certainly isn't ready to play in the nhl. 

just having a guy that big in front of the goalie screening, no? Also he stands up for his team mates, Yes he still has stuff to work on but I have a feeling there quite a few teams in the league that would love to have his size and potential.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, habs rule said:

just having a guy that big in front of the goalie screening, no? Also he stands up for his team mates, Yes he still has stuff to work on but I have a feeling there quite a few teams in the league that would love to have his size and potential.

Is nice that he has 1g 2a 11shots in his 2 AHL since demotion and the IceCaps only scored 3g in the two games.

And highly doubt he would get icetime and opportunities if he was with the Habs, so love to see him work on his offense, faceoffs and such down there...at least for now.

52 minutes ago, DON said:

Is nice that he has 1g 2a 11shots in his 2 AHL since demotion and the IceCaps only scored 3g in the two games.

And highly doubt he would get icetime and opportunities if he was with the Habs, so love to see him work on his offense, faceoffs and such down there...at least for now.

He has stuff to work on. No question but to say he sucks at hockey is a little off the wall. Jmho.

11 minutes ago, habs rule said:

He has stuff to work on. No question but to say he sucks at hockey is a little off the wall. Jmho.

NO, that would be Parros, Orr (Colton) and the like who had minor league skills at best, but could fight which isn't a hockey skill.

3 hours ago, DON said:

NO, that would be Parros, Orr (Colton) and the like who had minor league skills at best, but could fight which isn't a hockey skill.

I agree with that 100%. It was BCHabs who said he sucked.

I think he has all the skills to be an impact NHLer. However, he just doesn't have the pace to keep up with our fast team yet. HIs demotion is because he cant keep pace with Mitchell and Flynn on the 4th line so DLR was brought up. If he can gain that foot speed and work on his stop starts, he'll be fine. Also, to many fly by's and coasting to keep or gain speed in the neutral zone hiding his lack of speed and ultimately keeping him out of the play.

8 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I was being a bit harsh, but I have not seen anything out of him that screams for him to stay up. Would love to see him developed into an nhr. But as harper said. He's just not ready.

You could be right but if he can't make our team then is it time for him to go?

5 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I think he has all the skills to be an impact NHLer. However, he just doesn't have the pace to keep up with our fast team yet. HIs demotion is because he cant keep pace with Mitchell and Flynn on the 4th line so DLR was brought up. If he can gain that foot speed and work on his stop starts, he'll be fine. Also, to many fly by's and coasting to keep or gain speed in the neutral zone hiding his lack of speed and ultimately keeping him out of the play.

He has 15 points in 23 games in the AHL. That is not so bad, it should show that he is getting closer to making the big club. Big guys skating tends to develop later, he has to grow into his body. It will be interesting to see what happens now. He went down and went right to work. It took Big Bird 3 or 4 years to really get going in the NHL. His skating was no hell either when he came up but he worked on it and became a superstar.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I think he'll be an NHLer.  I don't see impact NHLer though.  I still think his ceiling is Brian Boyle, a third/fourth line guy. 

Better than 16th pick Tom Wilson then. Which is a pretty low bar though.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Considering I also called Tom Wilson a stupid pick that doesn't tell me much. 

Lets do Tyler Biggs, Mitch Moroz and Freddy Gauthier next. 

I take McIlrath at 10 Alex as not being at Brian Boyle's level. Boyle has had a 21 and a 15g season, would be sweet if McCarron can contribute like that.