Habs acquire Nesterov

Trizzak

Racine put up 3 assists in 26 games with the icecaps. Not going to miss him. 6th round pick is minor. Nesterov has 12 in 35 in the show, and at 23 could r good depth for years. Good, but minor trade if you ask me

Checked his scouting report on thehockeynews.com.  According to that report his strength is moving the puck and providing some offense.  His weakness is his lack of size and he is prone to mistakes with and without the puck.  It's an interesting depth move that didn't cost much.

Tampa used him similar to the way the Habs used Marc-Andre Bergeron in the past.  While I don't think his defensive zone play is as bad as Bergeron's was, that's still worth noting.  Assuming Markov/Pateryn are back early next month as expected, that will give them 9 d-men on one-way contracts.  With a max roster size of 23, that's hard to manage.

A very quick write-up: http://www.habsworld.net/2017/01/habs-acquire-nikita-nesterov/

(I'll do the contract updates in the 2nd intermission...)

47 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Seems like an upgrade on Barberio that we acquired for basically nothing.  I don't mind that. 

Nesterov in part pushed Barberio out the door in Tampa before last season (when they didn't tender him a QO and had Nesterov take that spot).  It'd be interesting if he did that again here.

From Elliotte Friedman last week:

16. Think Tampa also has Nikita Nesterov available. However, a GM said word is he’s going back to Russia next season. One of the reasons: He’s represented by Dan Milstein, also Pavel Datsyuk’s agent. Asked about it, Milstein said, “(Nikita) wants to play in North America.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-canadian-team-land-kevin-shattenkirk/

13 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Guess I'll be the one to ask it...

Does this mean Markov is more injured than we were told he was?

Am hoping it is simply depth and to boost 3rd pairing and left-side.

Seems such a small price for a roster guy, especially a NHL calibre d-man basically on a 30 point pace. He must be really leaning towards returning to Russia or Yzerman heard Bergevin pumping his tires in Nilan interview; calling Stevie "one of smartest GMs" and possibly under the table future considerations also is included.:spamafote:

The Hab Russian content keeps on increasing.

9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Pierre Lebrun noted that Nesterov has played both left and right D, so I expect he is a Redmond replacement more than anything. 

I'm thinking you're right! Coach Mike doesn't seem to like Redmond much, and I can't say I disagree.

There's a lot of people suggesting the deal put the Habs back over the cap.  It did...until Johnston was sent down which happened about three hours later.  The Habs are not over the cap now, not in LTIR, and don't have to make any corresponding roster move when Desharnais is set to be activated off LTIR (believed to be sometime next week).

40 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Why did TB make this deal? I know it's relatively minor, but still seems, at face value, and clear win for us - ?

It sounds like they wanted to keep Luke Witkowski up so they'd have had to waive Nesterov before too long.  This way, they get a small something instead of nothing.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It sounds like they wanted to keep Luke Witkowski up so they'd have had to waive Nesterov before too long.  This way, they get a small something instead of nothing.

But still, dosent a 6th seem like an underpayment? Or a very friendly deal by Yzerman to a division rival?

Just now, DON said:

But still, dosent a 6th seem like an underpayment? Or a very friendly deal by Yzerman to a division rival?

If you're prepared to lose a guy for nothing, a 6th really isn't an underpayment.  The fact that Witkowski, a low-skilled fringe d-man, passed Nesterov on the depth chart in Tampa should say a lot.