How do we get rid of Shaw, or do we want to?

habs rule

This guy is costing us games with stoopid penalties. He is not an offensive threat to any great amount. He is a pest, hits a lot. But really is he not just Ryan White with a big contract? I have not really criticized him this year cause we should give the guy a chance. But the jury is in, in my opinion, having played for the Hawks is not enough to earn you 6 years at 3.9 million. He makes stupid plays again and again. I think it is time for Bergy to admit, this may not have been his best signing. Get rid of him, some how.

• dlbalr changed the title to How do we get rid of Shaw, or do we want to?

It's a bit of a catch-22 right now.  If he plays like this the rest of the season, no one's going to want to absorb the contract.  If he wakes up and follows it up with a good playoff run, other teams might want him but Bergevin will want to keep him.  Long story short, he's probably not going anywhere anytime soon.

45 minutes ago, Chris said:

Jesus, over react much. 

If people think one penalty cost them, that's nuts. they scored once and had 16 shots. they didn't deserve to win. 

That was a complete no show. 

Overreact much? I only ask the question, and this is not the first dumb penalty he has taken. And relax have a diet pop.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

It's a bit of a catch-22 right now.  If he plays like this the rest of the season, no one's going to want to absorb the contract.  If he wakes up and follows it up with a good playoff run, other teams might want him but Bergevin will want to keep him.  Long story short, he's probably not going anywhere anytime soon.

Just me-- but I actually like Riberio better than Shaw-- as of today you can have him for nothing? Will be interesting how far he goes down before somebody grabs him.

We're stuck with Shaw for better or worse.  I like a lot of things about his game, and it's all about the playoff performance for a guy like him.  He's a loose cannon and we'll see if he can reel it in.  He's way overpaid for his role and shouldn't see powerplay time, though.    

Overreaction. People were upset when Semin and Kassian got sent packing and both of those culls were not near the player Shaw is, yes he is still young and has two rings, for what that is worth.

I'm guessing the only posts in this thread in April will be, "man I'm glad we have Shaw and didn't try to get rid of him after that one game in February for that stupid penalty he took"

2 hours ago, BlueKross said:

Just me-- but I actually like Riberio better than Shaw-- as of today you can have him for nothing? Will be interesting how far he goes down before somebody grabs him.

I'd be shocked if Ribeiro was claimed by anyone.  Even if he can still help a team, he has a $3.5 million cap hit (and some baggage from over the years).  Why not wait to see if Nashville will eat some of the money or allow the acquiring team to send a contract back?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, illWill said:

I'm guessing the only posts in this thread in April will be, "man I'm glad we have Shaw and didn't try to get rid of him after that one game in February for that stupid penalty he took"

Again it is not one game and it is not one penalty. He is a loose cannon. I hope he is great in the playoffs, but I have serious doubts. This guy don't learn to good. But I will hold you to your statement.

9 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'd be shocked if Ribeiro was claimed by anyone.  Even if he can still help a team, he has a $3.5 million cap hit (and some baggage from over the years).  Why not wait to see if Nashville will eat some of the money or allow the acquiring team to send a contract back?

As Don puts it, we all hope Shaw smartens up. We got him at 3.9M till 2022. Are we going to have the same difficulty getting rid of Shaw, if push runs into shove?

I do, I think he is a good player, albeit as Don says, dumb at times, but he is tough, and coach Mike is gonna knock the dumb outta him I'm sure...playoff grinder type, again, this team needs some of that.

Although is not the player he is,  Marchand is dumb too is all I have left to say...

But.did an Avery, Cooke, Torres, etc ... ever see the light and change their backstabbing ways? Shaw is 25 and maybe is what he is; but, fingers crossed he dosent take a series changing 5 minute penalty and we might just have to live with him being a not so upstanding NHLer, repeat offender and incorrigible?:spamafote:

Claude Lemieux-like perhaps?

22 hours ago, habs rule said:

This guy is costing us games with stoopid penalties. He is not an offensive threat to any great amount. He is a pest, hits a lot. But really is he not just Ryan White with a big contract? I have not really criticized him this year cause we should give the guy a chance. But the jury is in, in my opinion, having played for the Hawks is not enough to earn you 6 years at 3.9 million. He makes stupid plays again and again. I think it is time for Bergy to admit, this may not have been his best signing. Get rid of him, some how.

Ask me again in May

I'm with those who say that the signing's merits and demerits will be decided in the playoffs. And it's not just the on-ice play, it's also the Cup rings. One of the Habs's problems in recent years has been the dearth of championship experience in the dressing room, I believe. A team that is 'all in' to win NOW needs to have guys who have already been there. There is no margin for a learning curve. (Indeed, we probably still don't have enough Cup experience on the roster, but at least Shaw is a step in that direction).

That said, Shaw has been an exceptionally stupid player this season, and he will not survive four more years of that kind of regular-season stupidity. I also think it's risky to rest the case for a player's merits entirely on the playoffs. If he gets hurt or happens to have an 'off' playoff, then he's got ZERO left to fall back on. Remember when Eller was being defended as a 'clutch performer?'

Ultimately, we have to hope that Shaw rises to the occasion in the playoffs, AND that he is suffering from a not-uncommon problem, i.e., he's a guy who spent his whole career in one organization and is having trouble adjusting to his new environment. Hopefully next year he reverts to being a quality, impact FW who isn't continually being a stupid ass.

It's funny to me that Montreal supposedly kept Eller around due to his overrated 2014 playoffs to trade him for two second round picks. Only to them trade two second round picks to acquire a guy everyone wants to wait for the playoffs to discuss his real value. This isn't Cammalleri who got hated on for not scoring 40 goals without Iginla and then went on to be one of the best playoff performers in Habs history. 

Shaw has had some very good playoff performances. He's also made stupid mistakes and decisions just like he does in the regular season. And as we know, the playoffs are a small sample size. Didn't Montreal try this already when they signed Daniel Briere, playoff machine? How'd that work out?

Anyway Shaw is the kind of player people are going to constantly defend because they like his sandpaper and will defend his deal until he's finally traded/retires for being an idiot and they hope everyone forgets they came to his defence every five seconds. Just like Lars Eller, but a couple points better.

13 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

It's funny to me that Montreal supposedly kept Eller around due to his overrated 2014 playoffs to trade him for two second round picks. Only to them trade two second round picks to acquire a guy everyone wants to wait for the playoffs to discuss his real value. This isn't Cammalleri who got hated on for not scoring 40 goals without Iginla and then went on to be one of the best playoff performers in Habs history. 

Shaw has had some very good playoff performances. He's also made stupid mistakes and decisions just like he does in the regular season. And as we know, the playoffs are a small sample size. Didn't Montreal try this already when they signed Daniel Briere, playoff machine? How'd that work out?

Anyway Shaw is the kind of player people are going to constantly defend because they like his sandpaper and will defend his deal until he's finally traded/retires for being an idiot and they hope everyone forgets they came to his defence every five seconds. Just like Lars Eller, but a couple points better.

He averages 35.5pts/82gms, is on a better pace this year, has good qualities and I have little problem with the deal for him; obviously assumed or hoped he would be more mature than he is showing though. Isnt Weber supposed to be Leader Extraordinaire and should be able to reign Shaw in?   

Brier signing was one I didn't like from the get go.

No comment on the value of  the Squid.

20 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Lots of arguments about Shaw's playoff performances...well, he played for a team that won three Cups in a decade. Just about every player on those teams had big playoffs.

And?