How do we get rid of Shaw, or do we want to?

habs rule

1 hour ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Shaw has 35 points in 67 playoff games on a modern day dynasty and people are arguing this in favor of tolerating mediocre stats and Marchand-level transgressions along with homophobic slurs. Figure it out.

In fairness, Shaw clearly regrets the homophobia and is trying to turn over a new leaf: http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/canadiens-notebook-andrew-shaw-named-ambassador-for-you-can-play

More serious IMHO is that he is, so far, exactly what I was afraid he'd be - an irresponsible loose cannon on the ice, following the all-too-familiar pattern of young agitators who make a good impression early in their careers and then start losing the plot.

Honestly, Lovett, all we have left is the hope that he can be an impact playoff performer. If he is, then we can put up with regular season bullsh*t.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

In fairness, Shaw clearly regrets the homophobia and is trying to turn over a new leaf: http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/canadiens-notebook-andrew-shaw-named-ambassador-for-you-can-play

More serious IMHO is that he is, so far, exactly what I was afraid he'd be - an irresponsible loose cannon on the ice, following the all-too-familiar pattern of young agitators who make a good impression early in their careers and then start losing the plot.

Honestly, Lovett, all we have left is the hope that he can be an impact playoff performer. If he is, then we can put up with regular season bullsh*t.

I don't hold the comment against him, but it shows a terrible lack of judgement that seems to be on display every ten days or so...I'm rooting for him in the playoffs, but it's tough to hold Chara and Marchands' feet to the fire with a guy like that on the team. Ryan White wasn't as bad as he is, and he got thrown away.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I don't hold the comment against him, but it shows a terrible lack of judgement that seems to be on display every ten days or so...I'm rooting for him in the playoffs, but it's tough to hold Chara and Marchands' feet to the fire with a guy like that on the team. Ryan White wasn't as bad as he is, and he got thrown away.

God I love me some Ryan White. I want to bring him back so that we can get his dad back too:

I get the parallel with White. They're both agitator types who are prone to dumb-ass unacceptable plays. But come on...Shaw's offensive production is on a whole other level than White's. The one is a top-9 player for sure. The other is a 4th liner at best. And, again, Shaw comes with Cup rings, the value of which may prove significant before all is said and done. I'm no Shaw cheerleader and think there is maybe a 50% chance that that contract becomes an albatross, but any analogy with White can't be sustained.

MB didn't bring Shaw here only because of his past playoff performances...he brought him here because he's (supposedly) a winner.  MB had the right idea but arguably the wrong player...He's stats are good. as they should be; he's getting ice time 5vs5 and PP duty.  But let's face it, overall Shaw has been a disappointment...i think it's killing Le Genius (i love that nickname,btw) to be forced to have Shaw in the line-up night after night.

Guest Stogey24
8 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

MB didn't bring Shaw here only because of his past playoff performances...he brought him here because he's (supposedly) a winner.  MB had the right idea but arguably the wrong player...He's stats are good. as they should be; he's getting ice time 5vs5 and PP duty.  But let's face it, overall Shaw has been a disappointment...i think it's killing Le Genius (i love that nickname,btw) to be forced to have Shaw in the line-up night after night.

Vegas baby Vegas 

Anybody who has played sports at a competitive level, especially hockey with the contact, knows eventually something pisses you off and you say or do something stupid.  

I have done and have been on the receiving end of slashes, buttends, spears, punches, verbal insults of all sorts.  It happens in the heat of the moment and very rarely is it ever truly meant by the person saying it, after you've cooled off.

Some guys chirp more than others. Shaw seems to be one of those guys. From his interviews he doesn't come off as an unintelligent asshole.  He genuinely seems sorry for his stupid remark.

We expect these guys to be wound up and going full tilt, then they make a mistake and everyone wants to hang then.  It's not fair, humans make mistakes.  

Shaw is a required piece of a Stanley Cup Contender and I'd take him over some of the other no shows like Plekanec, Desharnais etc.

1 hour ago, kaos said:

Anybody who has played sports at a competitive level, especially hockey with the contact, knows eventually something pisses you off and you say or do something stupid.  

I have done and have been on the receiving end of slashes, buttends, spears, punches, verbal insults of all sorts.  It happens in the heat of the moment and very rarely is it ever truly meant by the person saying it, after you've cooled off.

Some guys chirp more than others. Shaw seems to be one of those guys. From his interviews he doesn't come off as an unintelligent asshole.  He genuinely seems sorry for his stupid remark.

We expect these guys to be wound up and going full tilt, then they make a mistake and everyone wants to hang then.  It's not fair, humans make mistakes.  

Shaw is a required piece of a Stanley Cup Contender and I'd take him over some of the other no shows like Plekanec, Desharnais etc.

The problem with your argument is that 98% of other NHLers can avoid the kind of dumb-ass on-ice behaviour that Shaw has been perpetrating ever since his very first preseason game with the Habs. So talking about the "competitive nature of the sport" fails to excuse his stupidity. Almost everyone else has figured out how to "walk that line;" it's past time this supposed "winner" and "leader" stop making a total arse of himself out there, night after night.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Almost everyone else has figured out how to "walk that line;" , night after night.

It is part of being a professional hockey player, which demands maturity that he seemingly lacks.

Shaw needs to try and emulate #4, a bit at least;

"Howe's one question had been about the boiling point of Beliveau's blood.

"I wondered whether John was mean enough to be a hockey player. What if I run him?" he said. "Well, I gave him a little run, and he just smiled."

1 hour ago, habs rule said:

Anyone want to bet Shaw takes a stupid penalty at a really bad time in the game today?

Sure, he will be a good boy today!

Guest Stogey24
40 minutes ago, Chris said:

That and 3 other players, Shaw isn't the only one who takes bad penalties. 

Mitchell is terrible for bad penalties too. Hasn't scored in his last 30 games either, which only exemplifies the shittyness 

45 minutes ago, DON said:

Sure, he will be a good boy today!

I love the optimism, I don't think he can cost us this game. We are just a much better team and Carey is in net.

10 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Always has to be a Hab with bad hooking penalties. Damphousse was the king of them. 

Guys like Radulov and Damphousse are the Real Deal - bona fide top-6 FWs, elite NHL talents. I can live with a few lazy penalties from them.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Guys like Radulov and Damphousse are the Real Deal - bona fide top-6 FWs, elite NHL talents. I can live with a few lazy penalties from them.

Koivu was bad for lazy penalties too. Like you said, it's an easy compromise.