Habs @ Avs, Feb 6, 21:00 ET

illWill

1 minute ago, DON said:

What # will Duchene wear once he is traded to Habs? #9 isn't gonna work.:P

The even bigger question is how many pages will the fire bergevin thread increase with after people here see what he gives the Avs in this trade.

6 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

The even bigger question is how many pages will the fire bergevin thread increase with after people here see what he gives the Avs in this trade.

As long as you arnt too upset giving up Beaulieu, Gallagher, McCarron and a 1st it will look like a good deal.:popcorn:

6 minutes ago, DON said:

As long as you arnt too upset giving up Beaulieu, Gallagher, McCarron and a 1st it will look like a good deal.:popcorn:

That scares me a bit.. it reminds me of the package we gave for dr. Mark Recchi.

49 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

That scares me a bit.. it reminds me of the package we gave for dr. Mark Recchi.

Other than Gallagher, seems relatively painless (given a #20-30 pick in 2017).

I predict that Emelin will not finish the game tonight.

Edit :  I almost want to predict that someone will try a hip check on one of our forwards tonight, just for the sake of it.

Hope I'm wrong on both predictions.

1 hour ago, Dalhabs said:

Recchi has been our best players for years after that trade.

If it wins us a SC, I don't care what goes the other way.

See  Nieuwendyk vs Iginla.

3 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I predict that Emelin will not finish the game tonight.

Edit :  I almost want to predict that someone will try a hip check on one of our forwards tonight, just for the sake of it.

Hope I'm wrong on both predictions.

I predict that the Avalanche care a lot less about this than you do. Emelin has layed out very similar hits in games since, many of which came in games that were already out of reach.

I expect another win from the boys tonight, but I don't expect a shutout.

1 hour ago, DON said:

That's an overpayment if you include Gallagher. Take him out then it makes sense.

Duchene isn't exactly having a great year either.

Just now, Scott462 said:

That's an overpayment if you include Gallagher. Take him out then it makes sense.

Duchene isn't exactly having a great year either.

Yup, he is all of 2 points under his career average and without Gallagher you are talking joke proposal.

But, slim chance Bergevin makes a big deal like that this season anyways.

If you want to make sure you play Emelin physical, let him know you're not his b*tches, then that's Jim Dandy with me. But the idea that guys would go out and deliberately try to injure Emelin because of a legal hip-check he delivered in the dying minutes of a blow-out seems ridiculous to me. That is, it's ridiculous to injure someone for what is basically a breach of etiquette. Then again, this is a league where it is considered a 'hockey play' to come within a centimetre or two of permanently crippling a young player because he dared to shove you after scoring a goal (*coughCHARAcough*) so anything is possible.

I never liked the Avs. A market that inherited a stacked team, then steals Roy from that blithering dolt Houle - a franchise with the single ugliest unis in the game - no thanks. Let them suffer in the pit of misery they deserve.

Where is The League's All Time Greatest Hockey Player (Desharnais) on that roster card? Is he hurt, or benched, or - ? Did I miss something?

Well, at least wont have to worry about this happening today;

"….Last season the Canadiens were 0-2-0 vs. Colorado including a 3-2 loss at Denver Feb. 17th. That game was noted for P.K. Subban’s benching following what Michel Therrien called a “selfish play” that led to Jarome Iginla’s game winning goal with 2:03 remaining." Ron Reusch

http://thereuschblog.com/?p=43402

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If you want to make sure you play Emelin physical, let him know you're not his b*tches, then that's Jim Dandy with me. But the idea that guys would go out and deliberately try to injure Emelin because of a legal hip-check he delivered in the dying minutes of a blow-out seems ridiculous to me. That is, it's ridiculous to injure someone for what is basically a breach of etiquette. Then again, this is a league where it is considered a 'hockey play' to come within a centimetre or two of permanently crippling a young player because he dared to shove you after scoring a goal (*coughCHARAcough*) so anything is possible.

I never liked the Avs. A market that inherited a stacked team, then steals Roy from that blithering dolt Houle - a franchise with the single ugliest unis in the game - no thanks. Let them suffer in the pit of misery they deserve.

Where is The League's All Time Greatest Hockey Player (Desharnais) on that roster card? Is he hurt, or benched, or - ? Did I miss something?

He's centring the fourth line tonight with Flynn (LW) and Mitchell (RW). 

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He's centring the fourth line tonight with Flynn (LW) and Mitchell (RW). 

Thanks. I'd heard that, but got confused by the GDT. All's well that ends well.

32 minutes ago, DON said:

Yup, he is all of 2 points under his career average and without Gallagher you are talking joke proposal.

But, slim chance Bergevin makes a big deal like that this season anyways.

I don't think it's a joke really maybe take out Big Mac, instead of Gally and that gets it done but to give that much for Duchene seems like an overpayment to me.

16 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I don't think it's a joke really maybe take out Big Mac, instead of Gally and that gets it done but to give that much for Duchene seems like an overpayment to me.

Duchene is maybe a hard player to assess - at least from a 'stats' perspective (I haven't closely watched him over the years). A consistent 20-goal guy with gusts up to 30. But he oscillates between being a PPG guy and 'merely' a 50-60 point man. He seems to have the profile of a 'follower' type of player rather than a team leader and catalyst - a guy who lists as the team does, rather than driving the team forward. So that's the problem; are you paying to get the PPG guy, or the 55 point guy? Obviously the Avs are going to price him as the former, if they can get away with it. Therefore Beaulieau and a late 1st won't cut it, and I doubt that other franchises see Big Mac as more than a future bottom-6 guy. Beaulieu and Gallagher might be a reasonable return, objectively speaking: a top-6 FW and a top-4 d-man, both young and cheap. But I doubt that will suffice to move the Avs who really have no special REASON to trade the guy.

He'd make a dandy 1-2 punch with Galy at C although they seem to be quite similar types of player: not especially big nor physical, scorers more than passers, etc.. I don't know whether that'd be an issue or not.

He's 26 and has been a 60 point guy for almost 3 full seasons now.  I don't think its that hard to assess.  He is what he is, that 60 point guy.  

I'd give the Beaulieu plus 1st plus one of McCarron/Scherbak price, but I wouldn't add in more. 

The Avs could take Desharnais too for cap reasons (he'd be an expiring contract for them though). 

I think he would be a great acquisition but in the same token like you guys pointed out he doesn't seem like a game breaker but more of a complimentary piece but a very skilled one. Who knows maybe with us he might break out but I think we need to be careful on how much we are willing to bend to get him. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He's 26 and has been a 60 point guy for almost 3 full seasons now.  I don't think its that hard to assess.  He is what he is, that 60 point guy.  

I'd give the Beaulieu plus 1st plus one of McCarron/Scherbak price, but I wouldn't add in more. 

The Avs could take Desharnais too for cap reasons (he'd be an expiring contract for them though). 

It's funny how it goes. Some players just seem to have a rep, an aura, such that people think of them as stars even when their numbers, on closer inspection, aren't all that great. Duchene is one of these guys. He has caché, is still widely thought of as an elite youngish player. Yet he only has 1 1/2 PPG seasons and has been a 60 point guy, as you say, the rest of the time. Plus he has zero playoff track record.

Indeed, I'll bet the average fan thinks of Duchene with much more awe than they think of Galchenyuk, who you never hear mentioned in lists of the league's great young guns. Yet Galy has a comparable profile.

I know that the buzzards start circling any team that has collapsed, but unless Duchene is a problem in the room, I don't understand why the Avs would trade him - and certainly not for Beaulieau (who seems to be most realistically pegged as a second-pairing guy) and a 'might hit' prospect. Now, Sergachev would get her done. The Avs could then claim to be rebuilding with blue-chip youngsters. Other than that, I don't see it.