Habs @ Avs, Feb 6, 21:00 ET

illWill

Going into this game, Colorado had scored the fewest goals in the NHL.  That is the team that just shutout Montreal 4-0.  :angry:

They are actually worse live than watching them on TV. I can't believe i paid for that. 

I was wondering what happened to last years team, now i know, they are back.

Clearly they need to do something, coaching change, trades, just getting rid of dead weight, something

That was excruciating. I stopped watching after the 2nd period, knowing there was no WAY a comeback would be forthcoming.

If we put in a few more games like that, I will start to believe the 'they've quit on the coach' narrative. Because they sure were not interested in competing last night.

Part of it is probably - and ironically - the relative success they had in riding out the injuries. Guys like Danault, who really stepped up, are probably tired from that extra effort, and the returning players (especially Galy) have lost their groove. I've seen this before and predicted as much.

But I also wonder, though, how much of the malaise has to do with Price. That 2nd goal last night represents yet ANOTHER goal that 'normal' Price would stop. He has been basically an average goalie for several weeks. Now this is a team that always looked to Price as its leader, and always drew confidence from the belief that he was invincible. After a sustained run of mediocrity from him, maybe they're somewhat adrift, no longer finding those extra reserves of collective belief created by faith in their superstar. Otherwise put, the team ultimately goes as Price does. And he has been going nowhere for some time now.

(How to explain that is yet another question. I would not at all be surprised if having a kid has something to do with it. He may be having a harder time focusing, because he'd rather be with the kid than on the ice; or maybe he is just suffering 'new parent' syndrome, i.e., being unbelievably exhausted all the time due to lack of sleep. Lord knows, I've been there).

• Upvote 3

Good post CC.

That pretty much sums up everything that can be going wrong right now. I hope they can get out of this downswing they are in. I think we all knew they probably were not as good as when they jumped out to that awesome start but I don't think they are as bad as they are playing right now.

After sleeping on it, I am even more inclined to believe that this team is far closer to being a 6-8 seed likey to be bounced in the 1st round than a true contender...that hot start was fool's gold.  This bunch is not one shrewd trade away from being able to hang with the Caps team I have been watching a lot of over the past 4 weeks in a 7 game series...no way.

If Price isn't reliably excellent, this team is not even close to contending. That's not a criticism of anyone; it's a logical consequence of how this team has been built. And it holds true of any team with its franchise player. So until Price rights the ship, we will lose a lot of games.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the upcoming 'bye' week. The tired Habs may be guilty of looking ahead to their upcoming vacation. It happens...all of us have been there, our productivity dropping as time off looms. So that's another factor to consider.

Last 4 games

0 goals (against the worst defensive team in the NHL)

0 goals (and just 20 shots in regulation)

2 goals (and just 20 shots)

1 goal (and just 16 shots)

Price hasn't played well, grant you that. 

There are other issues though. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

its not like MB has been the sharpest GM -tool in the shed- either.  His best move so far has been the Radulov signing and that was a fluke ..and as for his draft picks- the jury is still out on those, including Chucky

How is jury still out on Galchenyuk?

13 minutes ago, DON said:

One string of ugly games to say the least.

A Duchene taking important faceoffs might help the Habs don't you think?:thumbs_up:

One thing the Avs do have is centers that can take the draws. We are weak in this area, and it costs us.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If Price isn't reliably excellent, this team is not even close to contending. That's not a criticism of anyone; it's a logical consequence of how this team has been built. And it holds true of any team with its franchise player. So until Price rights the ship, we will lose a lot of games.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the upcoming 'bye' week. The tired Habs may be guilty of looking ahead to their upcoming vacation. It happens...all of us have been there, our productivity dropping as time off looms. So that's another factor to consider.

tired? after the all-star break?  don't think so...giving up on their coach maybe?