Habs vs Bruins Feb 12 7:00 EST

DON

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Inept PK and defensive coverage also contributed.

But, I think they had zero shots on a long 5 on 3 and Price had .889%, which sorry to say isn't unusual anymore.

Which goal did you want price to stop?  Maybe the fourth one, but they hung him out to dry on the first three. 

That isn't to say he's not struggling (see Phoenix game) and a few other goals he's let in lately.  Just don't think last night was Price struggling. 

16 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I don't care if the goalie allowed 11 goals on 9 shots. When the team is shut out, you don't blame the goalie.

THIS.  The whole 'one line that can score' scenario is biting them in the ass again.  At the end of last season, it was painfully clear that this team needed an upgrade at center and two top-six caliber scoring wingers.  MB managed to deliver on only one of those needs (Radulov), so again this team is stuck with a rotating cast of third-line caliber players getting 2nd line minutes and failing to produce.

And before someone complains they can't criticize the goalie, the object of the game is to outscore your opponent. A bad goalie makes that harder. A good goalie makes that easier. If your team doesn't score a single goal, you can't win. 

Should Price be better? Yes. But he's in front of the worst Habs defence in years and the team has 10 goals in 7 games. Stop asking for Hart trophy goaltending just to compete.

29 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

THIS.  The whole 'one line that can score' scenario is biting them in the ass again.  At the end of last season, it was painfully clear that this team needed an upgrade at center and two top-six caliber scoring wingers.  MB managed to deliver on only one of those needs (Radulov), so again this team is stuck with a rotating cast of third-line caliber players getting 2nd line minutes and failing to produce.

The Plan did not include the regression of Plekanec into a bottom-6 FW, even though there were major warning signs of this last season. But honestly I find it hard to attack Bergevin after he added an elite FW at zero cost. The team is playing well under potential at the moment; I can't think of another moment in the Therrien era when they've been this defensively inept.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Which goal did you want price to stop?  Maybe the fourth one, but they hung him out to dry on the first three. 

That isn't to say he's not struggling (see Phoenix game) and a few other goals he's let in lately.  Just don't think last night was Price struggling. 

Why Price had .889% isn't simply him and team was ugly in front of him, but sub .900 for 2months dosent look good nor 'steal' any games for team.

All the talking heads say he is the best goalie in the world, so why cant he consistently stop pucks and is giving up some softies? Is he injured, sick? Something off ice? or just a long slump?

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

so again this team is stuck with a rotating cast of third-line caliber players getting 2nd line minutes and failing to produce.

This is a good point. Players like Byron and Danault are playing much better this season than we anticipated, but that doesn't mean that they are top 6 forwards. In order for this team to be better they need to be on line 3 or 4

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Plan did not include the regression of Plekanec into a bottom-6 FW, even though there were major warning signs of this last season. But honestly I find it hard to attack Bergevin after he added an elite FW at zero cost. The team is playing well under potential at the moment; I can't think of another moment in the Therrien era when they've been this defensively inept.

That about sums it up right there... and you're bang on about the defense, Markov being right up there for worst positional Dman... He's been awful. Petry needs Markov, Weber needs Beaulieu to receive a brain transplant so he can partner with him, to get Emelin on the 3rd pair where he belongs. This team is underachieving for sure as you said, and MT can't get them to play more than 20-40 minutes...

On Price, i think the guy is exhausted. 

Played 10 games last year, there will be some loss of endurance. 

Then World Cup + Regular season compressed schedule, plus then didn't even get the all star break.

He needs the week off, plus more montoya giving him breaks down the stretch. 

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, KoRP said:

That about sums it up right there... and you're bang on about the defense, Markov being right up there for worst positional Dman... He's been awful. Petry needs Markov, Weber needs Beaulieu to receive a brain transplant so he can partner with him, to get Emelin on the 3rd pair where he belongs. This team is underachieving for sure as you said, and MT can't get them to play more than 20-40 minutes...

Petry has been so bad... Like he got wrapped up in some Space Jam shit and lost all of his talent.  

There are a number of issues with Price, not just his save % -

puck handling: one thing i have noticed (as i am sure most of you have) Price's puck handling hasn't been sharp either...which tells me (anyway) that he isn't focused.  A newborn will do that too you.  

Unhappy with teammates:  this shows up with Price's body language.. for instance, after a Markov giveaway led to a Bruins scoring chance, Price made a great pad save, but after the save his body language (at least to me) seems to say "WTF?!?"...ive noticed this more than just a few times now

His leadership role: another factor with Price is the room itself; its changed significantly from last year. The last few years Price was the true leader in that room, but i'm speculating that he isn't any longer ... So who is the catalyst in the room??  Weber doesn't come close to PK when it comes to keeping it light...Shaw is a talker but (i'm pretty sure) no one takes him seriously.  Max is not the rah-rah type either.  I don't think Radulov is a great communicator lol. I think this is where we maybe miss PK the most       

Edited by THE Bobby Orr

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

What a bunch of baseless speculation. 

His role in the room?  None of us can possibly know that. 

of course its speculation !!  wtf?  so is "he is tired". "he is hurt", "he isn't sleeping". "he hasn't had enough practice"...   

12 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

of course its speculation !!  wtf?  so is "he is tired". "he is hurt", "he isn't sleeping". "he hasn't had enough practice"...   

I didn't attack the things you said about body language.  What you see out on the ice is one thing where you have actual evidence to back it up. 

What his leadership role is in the room behind closed doors, no one has any evidence of that. 

That's the big difference between how his body language is to his defence after goals, and why i say anything about what his role is behind closed doors is baseless speculation. 

What about the fact that Carey has a smile on his face half the time he freezes the puck? That doesn't look like someone who is unhappy with his teammates or even the coaching staff. 

To me, Price looks like he did early in his career with us. Those puck handling mistakes used to happen all the time with him and he would also often let a soft goal in during games, despite playing fairly well in other moments. 

The most likely thing to me with the way he looks, is that he continues to play through a slight injury. Maybe I'm wrong, but it would be disappointing if this were the case, because he either isn't being honest with the caching staff, or the team is letting him play through it all since they don't want to go through something similar to last year. I like Therrien, but in my opinion, he does not handle the goalie situation very well.

Having a kid is definitely a life changing experience and I'm sure it can be exhausting but I've been waiting for Price to have even one solid game and it just hasn't happened in the past while. Even in games where we completely dominate, he still lets in a goal and I can guarantee that in some of those games (Colorado, Calgary) other goalies would have gotten a shutout. I'll admit Calgary was very unlucky but there are a few other examples where the best goalie in the world should have shut down the door. If it is indeed because of the kid, one would have to think that there would be the spontaneous game where he would be energized, especially when on the road. With a child, you will have your good days as well as your bad days.

I have all the confidence in the world that Carey will be fine but when you look at our team on paper, it does not match up offensively with other elite teams. For awhile now, I've thought our defense was quite good but even that is showing sign of deficiencies as well. The reason for our slump is mainly due to our goaltending in my opinion. I'm completely aware that we cannot win scoring 0 goals but I have often said that our team plays differently in front of Carey Price. We have gone through month long stretches where teams headed into our games knowing they would be lucky to beat Carey Price. At this very moment, Carey does not have that league wide aura and it is affecting both our team, as well as our opponents in exponential fashion,

5 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

What about the fact that Carey has a smile on his face half the time he freezes the puck? That doesn't look like someone who is unhappy with his teammates or even the coaching staff. 

To me, Price looks like he did early in his career with us. Those puck handling mistakes used to happen all the time with him and he would also often let a soft goal in during games, despite playing fairly well in other moments. 

The most likely thing to me with the way he looks, is that he continues to play through a slight injury. Maybe I'm wrong, but it would be disappointing if this were the case, because he either isn't being honest with the caching staff, or the team is letting him play through it all since they don't want to go through something similar to last year. I like Therrien, but in my opinion, he does not handle the goalie situation very well.

Having a kid is definitely a life changing experience and I'm sure it can be exhausting but I've been waiting for Price to have even one solid game and it just hasn't happened in the past while. Even in games where we completely dominate, he still lets in a goal and I can guarantee that in some of those games (Colorado, Calgary) other goalies would have gotten a shutout. I'll admit Calgary was very unlucky but there are a few other examples where the best goalie in the world should have shut down the door. If it is indeed because of the kid, one would have to think that there would be the spontaneous game where he would be energized, especially when on the road. With a child, you will have you good days as well as your bad days.

I have all the confidence in the world that Carey will be fine but when you look at our team on paper, it does not match up offensively with other elite teams. For awhile now, I've thought our defense was quite good but even that is showing sign of deficiencies as well. The reason for our slump is mainly due to our goaltending in my opinion. I'm completely aware that we cannot win scoring 0 goals but I have often said that our team plays differently in front of Carey Price. We have gone through month long stretches where teams headed into our games knowing they would be lucky to beat Carey Price. At this very moment, Carey does not have that league wide aura and it is affecting both our team, as well as our opponents in exponential fashion,

Good post :thumbs_up:

27 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

We have gone through month long stretches where teams headed into our games knowing they would be lucky to beat Carey Price. At this very moment, Carey does not have that league wide aura and it is affecting both our team, as well as our opponents in exponential fashion

Great point.  When Carey has his 'A' game, you can tell it is in the heads of our opposition; they try to be 'too perfect' with setting up plays, and too exact with their shots...gripping their sticks a little too tightly because they don't believe they can get the puck by the brick wall in our net.  Right now, opponents are attacking and shooting with confidence, because Carey is just another goaltender...not a world-beater. 

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ime wid uze . I am not a truly practiced observer with a lot of research behind my notions, but for some reason I think we can getterdun pretty well this year. Gotta go adjust my meds....  :P