Consider this

kingpicky

Thank you for all responses even the pictures.Just sayin gettin Fleury from Pens probably would not be difficult since they are goin with Murray.Think of the riches you could get for Price.The Canadiens, the way they are constructed now cannot win in the playoffs.They are so far away from Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago, Minnesota etc, it is not even a discussion point.Problem is , the only guy they have which anyone would really want is Price.Hard to deal that way.First round elimination this Spring unless Marc pulls a monster deal.The fans would love  a French Canadian goalie , that you cannot argue.

You do not need a goaltender the calibre of Carey Price to win a Stanley Cup.Fact.Corey Crawford is the example. you need quality forwards and defensemen.Think of the forwards and defensemen you could get by dealing him.You need a  team, not just one World Class goaltender. Get some star players and go with a lesser goaltender.Better chance of success. Arguments for and against.

You do not need a goaltender the quality of Carey Price to win the Stanley Cup or even have a chance.This has been proven many times, Corey Crawford exhibit A. What you need are quality forwards and defensemen. You have a much better chance of success with a lesser goaltender and star skaters. Why not get these players in a deal for Price.Carey will not win a Cup with the Canadiens and the Canadiens will not win a cup with Carey.Think about that statement.

4 hours ago, Scott462 said:

Tim Thomas

And to a lesser degree Johnathan Quick

I forgot about Quick and Thomas winning the Conn Smythe, but i don't consider either to be generational goaltenders or gusy who should be a hall of famers.  Thomas had what 3 or 4 good seasons and I still say that if it wasn't for the Jermey jacobs/colin campbell bias change in officiating, the bruins don't win that cup.

As far as quick goes, he may have gotten the Conn SMythe, but they could have given it to a number of kings.  You put Price in that lineup and they Kings still win the cup.  

2 hours ago, kingpicky said:

You do not need a goaltender the calibre of Carey Price to win a Stanley Cup.Fact.Corey Crawford is the example. you need quality forwards and defensemen.Think of the forwards and defensemen you could get by dealing him.You need a  team, not just one World Class goaltender. Get some star players and go with a lesser goaltender.Better chance of success. Arguments for and against.

100% agree.  Goaltending has improved so much overall that you just need decent goaltending to win.  Don't need the best in the league.

49 minutes ago, kingpicky said:

You do not need a goaltender the quality of Carey Price to win the Stanley Cup or even have a chance.This has been proven many times, Corey Crawford exhibit A. What you need are quality forwards and defensemen. You have a much better chance of success with a lesser goaltender and star skaters. Why not get these players in a deal for Price.Carey will not win a Cup with the Canadiens and the Canadiens will not win a cup with Carey.Think about that statement.

First, welcome to the board.

Second. just so you're aware, I'm the one who keeps merging your attempts at making a second thread about this.  It's the same discussion, we don't need two threads about it.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I forgot about Quick and Thomas winning the Conn Smythe, but i don't consider either to be generational goaltenders or gusy who should be a hall of famers.  Thomas had what 3 or 4 good seasons and I still say that if it wasn't for the Jermey jacobs/colin campbell bias change in officiating, the bruins don't win that cup.

As far as quick goes, he may have gotten the Conn SMythe, but they could have given it to a number of kings.  You put Price in that lineup and they Kings still win the cup.  

Tim Thomas went to four straight all star games in a 5 year span, 2008 - 2012

He won a Stanley Cup

Won 2 vezina trophies

2x a First Team NHL All Star

Was a US Olympian

Won a Jennings

Won a Conn Smythe 

• First goaltender to win the Stanley Cup, Vezina, and Conn Smythe trophies in the same season since Bernie Parent for the 1974–75 season.

Yeah his peak was short (arguably 5 years)... but he was an elite goaltender during that stretch... ELITE. 

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Tim Thomas went to four straight all star games in a 5 year span, 2008 - 2012

He won a Stanley Cup

Won 2 vezina trophies

2x a First Team NHL All Star

Was a US Olympian

Won a Jennings

Won a Conn Smythe 

• First goaltender to win the Stanley Cup, Vezina, and Conn Smythe trophies in the same season since Bernie Parent for the 1974–75 season.

Yeah his peak was short (arguably 5 years)... but he was an elite goaltender during that stretch... ELITE. 

Yep good points.

Also going off of memory but I thought the Habs gave Boston all they could handle that year they won the cup and it was an awesome goalie battle in Price vs Thomas.

Thomas was just godly that year but Price was right there with him in the battle.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Carey is  starting to think he is bigger than the organization. The reasons Michel was fired we will never know, but how many think Carey might have had a little or lot to do with it.Relations have been icy since the stare down.News for Carey, you don't need an all world goalie to win anymore.Championships are won with adequate goaltending.Quality players are needed around your goaltender. Get what you can for him now, and start new era.

Fleury is and always was a joke. I never understood the Pens' irrational allegiance to that choker. It's no surprise to me at all that they finally won a second Cup once they ditched him. They should have won more, and likely would have done without him.

On the other hand, there IS a coldly rational case for trading Price - but you'd better get a legitimate #1 G in return along with substantial additional assets. (Based on the Subban trade, we can expect to see Price traded for Ryan Miller :lol: Just joking).

I am 99% certain Price will be our guy for the next decade. And it IS worth remembering that many fans were deploying a similar logic in calling on the Habs to trade Roy, both during the regular season in 1993 and before he actually was traded in 1995. Maybe we should just be grateful we have this superstar and ride it out with him.

• Upvote 1

First of all, not to be nitpicky, but this is a rehash of the 'Consider This' thread.

Secondly, if it comes down to a choice between Therrien and Price, I go with Price. Every single damned time.

Thirdly, we know what happens - over and over - when you trade players to please disposable coaches. We drove Lafleur into premature retirement to please Lemaire. We lost Roy to please that imbecile Blueberry. We lost Cammalleri because Goat was mad at him for leading a rebellion against The Count. We lost Subban because he accurately recognized that MT was a losing proposition. Every single instance was a mistake. So please. If Price, who has been an absolutely exemplary team leader for year now, really did lose respect for Therrien, then that should be seen as telling us something important about Therrien, not as a sin by Price.

Fourthly, if Price had no had a crappy two months, nobody is talking about this.

22 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Fleury is and always was a joke. I never understood the Pens' irrational allegiance to that choker. It's no surprise to me at all that they finally won a second Cup once they ditched him. They should have won more, and likely would have done without him.

On the other hand, there IS a coldly rational case for trading Price - but you'd better get a legitimate #1 G in return along with substantial additional assets. (Based on the Subban trade, we can expect to see Price traded for Ryan Miller :lol: Just joking).

I am 99% certain Price will be our guy for the next decade. And it IS worth remembering that many fans were deploying a similar logic in calling on the Habs to trade Roy, both during the regular season in 1993 and before he actually was traded in 1995. Maybe we should just be grateful we have this superstar and ride it out with him.

It is true, because when you look at it from the other side of the coin, it is hard to believe that a goaltender of Price's general caliber, potentially one of the greatest of all time, will never win at least one Stanley Cup. If you go by that logic, which I sincerely agree with, then well, we've got him. I agree that our team on paper is certainly weaker than some others but my preference would still be to keep him for the long run. He may eventually get traded but I'd imagine it would be at the tail end of his career if there really still is no cup for the Montreal Canadiens and even at that point he'll still hold some value.

59 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think everything depends on the off season.

Summer of 2018 sees Price as a UFA at the same time these teams will be probably looking for a starter and have the money to pay for one:

- Dallas Stars (Niemi and Lehtonen as UFA means $10.4M free space. This has been my call for where Price goes for a while now. They are about to free up $18M this summer alone to turn their team around for next season!)

- Tampa Bay Lightning (Filppula and Garrison will be a UFA to pay for Johnson and Drouin,leaving all of that Bishop money free to goto a new starter. Vasilevsky will be an attractive trade bait for a team that wants a young goalie and is willing to give up a young D for him.)

- Vancouver Canucks (Miller done this summer and Markstrom will be making $3.6M but the Canucks also have the Sedin's becoming UFAs and a lot of money to spend on a BC native)

- Calgary Flames (very young, in a playoff spot, great looking top four D on paper, built like what the Habs might look like had they actually tanked back in 2013)

- St. Louis Blues (The Jake Allen experiment has been so far a failure and the Blues would welcome a big splash like Price with a lot of money about to become available)

- Nashville Predators (unlikely with Rinne having one more year on his deal but they could maybe convince Rinne to call it a career to make room?)

- Winnipeg Jets (unlikely since it's the Jets and I doubt anyone wants to go there)

I understand the logic behind wanting to trade Price now, but I hope it doesn't happen. Carey is going through a funky period right now. Let's not forget that alot of the goals he's giving up are on excellent chances and shots by the other teams. Our defensive zone coverage wasn't taht great this year and the habs have a tendency of giving up alot of quality opportunities. When you give up more quality opportunities, it,s normal to see the goalie give up a few more goals!  Fix the defensive zone coverage, and you'll see Carey make more saves!

Let's not forget that Carey is only 29 years old. He's still good for at least another 5 years of excellent hockey and another 3 years of good hockey!

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'd have had no issue with trading Roy - despite him being my favourite gab at the time, IF awe had traded him for Forsberg or Sakic, or even if we had traded him the year before for a package that included sundin or Nolan (it was rumoured that savard had a deal worked out before he got fired for fiset and Nolan), but decided against it.  The issue was that we did not get a single front line player for him.

i wouldn't want to move Price, but if we could get Tavares+, malkin and murrey, drasaitl/klefbom/talbot for price, I'd make the deal, because we actually get front line players back and fill other holes.  

I can't think of any recent teams that won a cup BECAUSE of their goalie - which will have to be the case with us, now that subban isn't around.  Price is the only difference maker we've got. 

When quick won with LAK, they had Carter,doughty and kopitar.

Thomas in Boston had chara, Bergeron and the NHL officials in their pocket.

ward had Stall and brindmour.

i don't see maxpac or weber as difference makers like a doughty or kopitar. Galchenyuk may become that player, but he isn't that guy today.  Maxpac is more of a secondary piece like carter. We had that guy in subban, but for MT and some of the folks on this forum, he was too flashy of a player and personality.  Obviously those kids never grow up watching lafleur.

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

A goalie can win you a cup. Especially one that's probably the best in the world  

Who was the last goalie to be THE main reason for a cup win.  We've had Dryden and Roy.  Hasak came close in buffalo and lundquist was close in NY, but who else?  Everyone else had a better supporting cast than what price has.