Winnipeg Jets vs. Montreal Canadiens | February 18th, 2017 | 2:00 EST

Habsfan84

1 hour ago, DON said:

4 Habs who stayed in Montreal last week and worked with skills trainer Adam Oates, instead of taking spring vacation. But 3 of them Pacioretty, Radulov and Pateryn had zero shots, not sure who 4th was. But extra training maybe will pay off and good on them to keep on the ice and put in extra time. 

I believe the fourth was Nesterov.

im kinda glad they lost...gives T'it Claude a reason to make changes...had they won he might have stuck with the same lines / d pairings.  The team looked rusty but never stopped trying; they wanted to win for their new coach.  not much changed except i noticed the PK; we have gone back to the "box" instead of the "diamond". not sure if anyone noticed that... 

It sure was nice to see a real coaching behind the bench...and i'm including Muller in that statement.  Captain Kirk and T'it Claude will be a very good duo...

Guest Stogey24
3 hours ago, DON said:

But, at least it must of brought back nice memories when Beaulieu did his best impression of that ex-hab and coughed up breakaway goal and fell down at same time.:popcorn:

Weber did a pretty good impression too on Winnipeg's first goal, when he turned the puck over at his own blue line. Oh, but that's OK right, because the guy oozes leadership 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

galchenyuk was in Florida... The sun will probably help his faceoffs

He stays in Sunny Isles, between Hallandale Beach and Miami. The area has a huge Russian community. I'm sure he was doing wind sprints on the beach.

In fact, I spend a day down there every few months as part of my dental sales route. I was on Hallandale Beach and Federal Hwy (road adjacent to the ocean) at a stop light and a mother was helping her young son cross the road and she had a handful of groceries. They were walking towards the big white high rises and a wind kicked up her flimsy skirt. The crosswalk was about thirty yards and she couldn't pull her skirt below her g-string. Her skin looked as smooth as moonlight on a pond...and that was easily the most glorious twenty seconds I've ever had on the job!

But anyways, judging from what's crossing the street, he's not perfecting his faceoffs.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

galchenyuk was in Florida... The sun will probably help his faceoffs

I don't know why faceoffs are so glorified.  What is a faceoff... its a battle for a loose puck.  Battles for loose pucks happen a couple hundred times per game, but the 40-50 faceoffs over the course of a game get glorified to a level where they are seen as way more important than any other puck battle.  We keep stats on faceoffs, but not two guys battling for a loose puck in the corner, and both plays probably have equal importance. 

So personally I'm not worried if a guy is a 40% faceoff guy, but his overall possession number is still high (as Galchenyuk's are).  The 2-3 faceoff wins per game that are the difference between a 40% guy and a 60% guy is trumped by the fact he retrieves and wins battles in the corners and makes plays with the puck that lead to solid possession throughout the rest of his time on the ice. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

I don't know why faceoffs are so glorified.  What is a faceoff... its a battle for a loose puck.  Battles for loose pucks happen a couple hundred times per game, but the 40-50 faceoffs over the course of a game get glorified to a level where they are seen as way more important than any other puck battle.  We keep stats on faceoffs, but not two guys battling for a loose puck in the corner, and both plays probably have equal importance. 

So personally I'm not worried if a guy is a 40% faceoff guy, but his overall possession number is still high (as Galchenyuk's are).  The 2-3 faceoff wins per game that are the difference between a 40% guy and a 60% guy is trumped by the fact he retrieves and wins battles in the corners and makes plays with the puck that lead to solid possession throughout the rest of his time on the ice. 

Starting the play with possession is important. But I do agree that winning puck battles is equally important and should be tracked. That's why I love me some radulov. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Starting the play with possession is important. But I do agree that winning puck battles is equally important and should be tracked. That's why I love me some radulov. 

It is important, but no more important than winning a battle in a corner and gaining possession part way through a play. 

The only time that faceoffs are really key are on PP/PK as you can kill 20 seconds just by winning the draw.  And when you are short handed you often get outnumbered in puck battles in the corners, making it harder to retrieve a puck. 

But numbers have been done, the effect of faceoffs on possession at even strength is minimal, especially because we aren't talking about 80% and 20% guys.... the difference between 60 and 40 is only 2-3 faceoffs per game.  Keep in mind, not every "win" is clean.  It often is that a faceoff win, just leads to a puck battle along the boards and possession isn't made out cleanly. 

Guest Stogey24

Win a faceoff back to your d-man in the offensive zone= scoring opportunity.

Win a faceoff on an icing when your team is dead tired, pretty important.

Win a faceoff when you have your is goalie pulled, pretty important

My comment was a joke,  but I do think faceoffs are meaningful. Not the be all end all, but I do think a good face off guy is important. Especially one that's your top centre and a guy you'll have out there with a minute to go in a game and in need of possession off a face off.  

I'm not saying that they are meaningless.  I'm saying that if you are considered a bad faceoff guy, but still a very good possession guy, you are likely making it up in other areas. And the fact that we glorify one puck battle over another seems odd to me.

As for scoring chances, faceoffs probably contribute less chances than winning a battle deep in the opponents end. On a faceoff teams have set defemsive plays and players are in good defensive position. Sometimes you win a battle in a corner and you catch a guy in a bad spot. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Weber had maybe his worst game of the season against Winnipeg.  He was awful.  

Not that I disagree, but perhaps showing some love to the guy once in awhile would do wonders for making us believe you aren't completely biased. 

Thank god, I thought I was the only one that thinks faceoffs are completely overrated. As if a 45% guy is a liability on the draw, he wins a mere 10% less than who he is up against. So basically 1 out of 10 faceoffs is not a coin flip. Faceoffs are only magnified if they lead to goals, which is such a small percentage of the time that it isn't relevant in the whole spectrum of the game. 

1 minute ago, illWill said:

Not that I disagree, but perhaps showing some love to the guy once in awhile would do wonders for making us believe you aren't completely biased. 

Thank god, I thought I was the only one that thinks faceoffs are completely overrated. As if a 45% guy is a liability on the draw, he wins a mere 10% less than who he is up against. So basically 1 out of 10 faceoffs is not a coin flip. Faceoffs are only magnified if they lead to goals, which is such a small percentage of the time that it isn't relevant in the whole spectrum of the game. 

Re Bias....

Honest to god.... I bought two new Habs jerseys today, one for me and one for the g/f.... both Shea Weber. 

I want him to succeed, I really do.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Re Bias....

Honest to god.... I bought two new Habs jerseys today, one for me and one for the g/f.... both Shea Weber. 

I want him to succeed, I really do.

The jersey selection had nothing to do with him having the longest remaining contract among active players, thus making your jerseys relevant for a longer period of time? :lol:

No, that's great to hear. We should all want these players to succeed, we all have a common goal here

The good news is that we'll likely get an easier first-round opponent if we shit away the division.  Maybe Claude's revenge in Beantown.  

Galchenyuk just doesn't have the best focus and positional sense without the puck.  Maybe new coaching will help.  

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

Weber had maybe his worst game of the season against Winnipeg.  He was awful.  

Don't you think Emelin has been "awfuller" for weeks now?

Gotta be hard for Weber night in and out, with such an inept partner 50% of games. Emelin would be great as a #5-6 defenseman, and I doubt he will stay on top pairing under The Claude.

Weber's still a stud most nights, and I agree the game vs Winnipeg was his worst as a Hab, however it  was a joke in terms of effort and performance by the Habs, with Rad and Patch the most pathetic of the pathetic, hard to blame that loss on Weber alone, maybe NFLD could recall Plekanec ;) that would help...

10 hours ago, illWill said:

The jersey selection had nothing to do with him having the longest remaining contract among active players, thus making your jerseys relevant for a longer period of time? :lol:

No, that's great to hear. We should all want these players to succeed, we all have a common goal here

Not the contract.  I have a large collection of Habs jerseys. 

I've always said that individually Weber is a very good player.  I think we traded a better player away to get him, but if you take that out of the equation, he's still a very good player. 

8 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

players have made entire careers at being good at taking faceoffs

players made entire careers at being good at fighting.  We are seeing less and less goons as people realized this just isn't valuable.  Sure there are still fighters, but the guys who remain have more skill than just fighting. 

Faceoffs will always have some value, but a player needs to bring other skills to the table in addition to taking a faceoff too.  That is why when Manny Malholtra lost a step, he was no longer in the league, even if he was still good on the draw. 

41.9% for Galchenyuk...is terrible no matter how you want to slice it.

52% or 49% sure not a big deal but like last game 2-9 for #27, basically useless on the draw. Still daydreaming of Florida beaches maybe?

Not the contract.  I have a large collection of Habs jerseys. 

I've always said that individually Weber is a very good player.  I think we traded a better player away to get him, but if you take that out of the equation, he's still a very good player. 

This.  I've always like Weber as well.   I just hated trading away a better, younger, more dynamic dman to get him.  If we had traded petry+ a pick for Weber, we'd be set on our 1st pairing D for 5 years.  As it is, we give up the better, younger player, for a longer contract and now lack mobility on the blue line.  

I also haven't seen any sign of us benefiting from the two big factors for why this was supposed to have been a good trade - improvement in leadership to prevent a collapse like last year and toughness that was supposedly going to protect Price and stop opponents from taking runs at him.

10 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

players have made entire careers at being good at taking faceoffs

What do you typically call a forward who sucks at faceoffs and cant defend well...a winger.