Winnipeg Jets vs. Montreal Canadiens | February 18th, 2017 | 2:00 EST

Habsfan84

2 hours ago, DON said:

41.9% for Galchenyuk...is terrible no matter how you want to slice it.

52% or 49% sure not a big deal but like last game 2-9 for #27, basically useless on the draw. Still daydreaming of Florida beaches maybe?

Evgeni Malkin 42.9%

Sam Reinhart 42.2%

Logan Couture 39.3%

Alex Steen 34.5%

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Evgeni Malkin 42.9%

Sam Reinhart 42.2%

Logan Couture 39.3%

Alex Steen 34.5%

Steen isn't a centre, Couture has taken 4th amount of faceoffs on SJ of their centres, Reinhart is 21 and only has taken 78 faceoffs and if he can produce like Malkin who cares where he plays.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

When you are a positive possession player, scoring at the pace that Galchenyuk is producing at, who cares about the extra 2 faceoffs per game that he loses cause he's at 40% instead of 50. 

It is the 20% games that are the killer, like the last one combined with lost in space in own end and turnovers all add up being safer to put the kid on the wing.

Also, he might want to spend extra time practicing faceoffs and less on one-timers, if he wants to play top two centre role.

Listening to Knuckles and other commentators, the issue isn't face offs...it's defensive zone play. That's going to be what makes or breaks Galy and determines whether he is a legit 1st-line C or just a flashy secondary piece.

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Listening to Knuckles and other commentators, the issue isn't face offs...it's defensive zone play. That's going to be what makes or breaks Galy and determines whether he is a legit 1st-line C or just a flashy secondary piece.

That or if he consistently puts up 70+points/yr and then we simply would live with his defensive weaknesses. 

56 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Exactly..... The play in his own end is far, far more important than the 10-20 faceoffs he takes a night. 

Galchenyuk doesn't know how to use his body defensively, he sometimes stops moving his feet, and that's the biggest problem I have with him.

Julien will teach him defensive play better than Therrien did I'm sure, he didn't seem to like Therrien even a little bit, you could see it on his face.

I still think he will be a star, and I think he needs to make things happen on his own offensively, you know, make the players on his line better, and I'm not disappointed to see Gallagher on his line, I think they can help each other.

And yeah, faceoffs...meh.

1 hour ago, KoRP said:

Galchenyuk doesn't know how to use his body defensively, he sometimes stops moving his feet, and that's the biggest problem I have with him.

Julien will teach him defensive play better than Therrien did I'm sure, he didn't seem to like Therrien even a little bit, you could see it on his face.

I still think he will be a star, and I think he needs to make things happen on his own offensively, you know, make the players on his line better, and I'm not disappointed to see Gallagher on his line, I think they can help each other.

And yeah, faceoffs...meh.

I hope you're right.  I don't want to see galchenyuk moves the way seguin was in Boston - he wasn't trusted by Julien - although admittedly Boston was much deeper at centre.

unlike others here I don't want to see a galchenyuk for dushcane type of trade.  I like duschane, but think galchenyuk has much more upside.  We need to add a guy like duschane to supplement galchenyuk- not replace him.

3 hours ago, DON said:

It is the 20% games that are the killer, like the last one combined with lost in space in own end and turnovers all add up being safer to put the kid on the wing.

Also, he might want to spend extra time practicing faceoffs and less on one-timers, if he wants to play top two centre role.

ya know the kid is a possession artiste. I think if you have the puck all the time, they don't. I think we should accentuate the positive, he is an offensive player, he will never be Plekanic but he will get us a lot of goals. Especially if he plays with Rads and Patches. Let the kid be who he is. A point producer. If he is always in their end with the puck that is good defense. I remember a young man named Gretzky, he was terrible in his own end, and nobody cared, mostly cause he was never there.

55 minutes ago, habs rule said:

ya know the kid is a possession artiste. I think if you have the puck all the time, they don't. I think we should accentuate the positive, he is an offensive player, he will never be Plekanic but he will get us a lot of goals. Especially if he plays with Rads and Patches. Let the kid be who he is. A point producer. If he is always in their end with the puck that is good defense. I remember a young man named Gretzky, he was terrible in his own end, and nobody cared, mostly cause he was never there.

How dare you bring up Gretzky.  I think Gretzky would have been considered too flashy for MT and his supporters here.  He whined too much to the refs and disrespected other franchises by calling them Mickey Mouse organizations and tried to pad his stats too much by showing up teams by scoring unnecessary empty net goals and celebrating his goals like he never scored a goal before.  He also had too big of an ego with his Mr. Big commercials. Worst of all he was a skinny wimp who couldn't fight his own battles and needed semenko to protect him.  If it wasn't for a tough guy like semenko, Gretzky would never have been the great one.  And how dare he let himself be called the great one!

• Upvote 1

Galchenyuk is another player I'm not too worried about. His production has increased every year and unfortunately this season he has had to deal with an injury.

I think the reason faceoffs can be important is because you want Galchenyuk to be able to be out there in key situations. Of course you can place him on the wing in the final minute of a game but that defeats the purpose of the argument. Also, if he loses a faceoff in the defensive zone, it makes it easier for his opponents to expose his weaknesses in the defensive end.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the hugest thing in the world but I do think it would be silly to turn a cold shoulder towards the topic because there's no reason we also shouldn't want him to improve in the area if his percentage is indeed low.

I expect Galchenyuk to develop into a bonafide first line center in the NHL as well. He's not going to transform into something completely different but he's almost already there and perhaps the people who don't see it never will because their expectations are surreal.

30 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

How dare you bring up Gretzky.  I think Gretzky would have been considered too flashy for MT and his supporters here.  He whined too much to the refs and disrespected other franchises by calling them Mickey Mouse organizations and tried to pad his stats too much by showing up teams by scoring unnecessary empty net goals and celebrating his goals like he never scored a goal before.  He also had too big of an ego with his Mr. Big commercials. Worst of all he was a skinny wimp who couldn't fight his own battles and needed semenko to protect him.  If it wasn't for a tough guy like semenko, Gretzky would never have been the great one.  And how dare he let himself be called the great one!

you make some very good points. I wasn't thinking, of course he would have no place on this team. Far too flashy I am amzed he did as well as he did.:sarcasm_on:

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I hope you're right.  I don't want to see galchenyuk moves the way seguin was in Boston - he wasn't trusted by Julien - although admittedly Boston was much deeper at centre.

unlike others here I don't want to see a galchenyuk for dushcane type of trade.  I like duschane, but think galchenyuk has much more upside.  We need to add a guy like duschane to supplement galchenyuk- not replace him.

Yes exactly, a skilled forward to play with Chucky, is what the team, and Chucky needs.

Too young and too skilled to even consider trading him.

1 hour ago, KoRP said:

Yes exactly, a skilled forward to play with Chucky, is what the team, and Chucky needs.

Too young and too skilled to even consider trading him.

This may sound grouchy, but I'm kind of sick of hearing about how we need 'just one more forward.' That's what we said two years ago; now we've added Radulov, no less. And yet we still hear this.

Maybe what we need is for Gallagher to stop sucking. That wouldn't make up for the degeneration of Pleks, but it sure would make the FW unit look better overall..

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This may sound grouchy, but I'm kind of sick of hearing about how we need 'just one more forward.' That's what we said two years ago; now we've added Radulov, no less. And yet we still hear this.

Maybe what we need is for Gallagher to stop sucking. That wouldn't make up for the degeneration of Pleks, but it sure would make the FW unit look better overall..

You said it.  Sure we added Radulov, but Pleks isn't what he was two years ago, and Gallagher has barely contributed all year.  One step forward two steps back.  It's a shame that Pleks' and Chucky's windows didn't line up a bit better, as they'd complement each other well in theory as 1A-1B.  But we're still in a situation where you count up our top forwards and come up short.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If pleks AND Gallagher didn't suck this year, the addition of radulov would have been sufficient and a guy like Lekonan producing would have been gravy.  Given that pleks looks like he is washed up and should have been moved at the deadline last year and Gallagher looks like two hand injuries and officiating bias has hurt him, I actually think we need another centre, a winger and mobile dman to be a legitimate contender.

If I was MB, I'd explore whether Gallagher/add could be moved in a kulikov/Kane deal or see if Gallagher/Beaulieu/DD/Emelin/1st could get us duschane and zadorov.  I doubt if anyone wants him, but we probably need someone to take DD to make the dollars work.  If we could find a taker for pleks, I'd also move him, to get the cap room needed to fill our needs.

edit. Scratch that last one.  Looks like zadarov is done for the season now.  Maybe Barrie would be an option.  I've heard the avs have been unwilling/unable to commit to him.

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You grouchy? Naw.... :)

I agree, we need more than one forward, but I never said that's all we need. We need one scoring forward, but personally I think we need 2 forwards with size, to replace 2 smurfs we have, to have a more physically capable forward core, not saying "sand paper, truculence and fighting ability" just size and strength to go with, not instead of speed.

I have a feeling that Julien is going to want Bergevin to replace some of the undersized, with some size, at the deadline.

I'm not as opposed to moving Byron as much as I am Gallagher, but nobody under 6' tall is on my protection list... Flynn, Mitchell, Lehkonen, Andrighetto, Carr, and DD are all on my "replace" list, Julien wants a more strenuous game with the puck, and the Habs have too many bowling pins that are knocked down too easily, and I bet it is high on the list for the deadline, to address the size of this team. Just my opinion of course...

50 minutes ago, KoRP said:

You grouchy? Naw.... :)

I agree, we need more than one forward, but I never said that's all we need. We need one scoring forward, but personally I think we need 2 forwards with size, to replace 2 smurfs we have, to have a more physically capable forward core, not saying "sand paper, truculence and fighting ability" just size and strength to go with, not instead of speed.

I have a feeling that Julien is going to want Bergevin to replace some of the undersized, with some size, at the deadline.

I'm not as opposed to moving Byron as much as I am Gallagher, but nobody under 6' tall is on my protection list... Flynn, Mitchell, Lehkonen, Andrighetto, Carr, and DD are all on my "replace" list, Julien wants a more strenuous game with the puck, and the Habs have too many bowling pins that are knocked down too easily, and I bet it is high on the list for the deadline, to address the size of this team. Just my opinion of course...

We already one stupid truculent player in Shaw, I think we need to dump him - not add another.  How did that whole truculent formula work for Burke in Toronto?

Yeah, I notice an uptick in this concern over 'size' following the Winnipeg game. I don't buy it. It's a speed game now, and the Habs already have trouble against truly fast teams. IMHO they are no longer one of the very fastest teams, given the decline of Pleks and the loss of Subban's puck-carrying, and are no longer in a position to trade more speed for size.

Apparently Julien is really emphasizing quick transition in practices. That is exactly what used to define this team, and what we need more of.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We already one stupid truculent player in Shaw, I think we need to dump him - not add another.  How did that whole truculent formula work for Burke in Toronto?

Read what I said above...

"to have a more physically capable forward core, not saying "sand paper, truculence and fighting ability" just size and strength to go with, not instead of speed."

I specifically said size and strength...not to replace speed but add that factor. Wouldn't hurt to trade for a bit of size, I'm not sold on the size means nothing in the playoffs just yet...

Crosby plays big. Malkin is a large man who can hold off anyone. Both are strong, can battle, have size and skill. They are superstars and can make complimentary players better. So your two most important forwards, size is not an issue. I wouldn't be that dismissive about size. Montreal has two strong forwards in Radulov and Patch but not nearly the impact that Crosby and Malkin do. 

Crosby and Malkin are immensely skilled. 

I have no problem with skilled players. Big or small. 

And fact is that by measurements, Crosby is a small player.   That he plays bigger just proves my point, the skill here is key, not the size. 

If you want to flip Andrighetto for a bigger player, fine.  But don't downgrade skill for size.