Am I the only Habs fan that has had enough of Galchenyuk?

THE Bobby Orr

1 minute ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Yeah I get the feeling people are just hoping that Duchene is slumping or they haven't watched him in a while.

Its classic grass is greener syndrome. 

He is what he is... and what he is, is actually pretty good... but he's being treated like a guy who is elite, and he's not that.

He's pretty good.  He's not a franchise changer. 

He'd be a nice add to our top 6.  A Chucky-Duchene-Danault trio would be great.   Taking Chucky out to get him though, is at best a marginal move. 

On 2/22/2017 at 4:34 PM, Commandant said:

Impressive that he was able to score 44 points in 45 games, when he only played 1 game out of 5.  A lot of 5 point nights in there I guess. 

I had mention in a previous post that Chucky was doing good to great before he got hurt and this last post was more on the getting pressed on "the what if" that the Bobby Orr was asking :) So what if CJ can't get AG going then... as you read but honestly I think Chuck is a blast to watch and I think he can just get better with CJ at the helm... well for now :)

Galchenyuk is still better than anyone the habs have at center, on the roster or prospects. 

If you think galchenyuk is bad defensively, watch duchene. 

Duchene only advantage on galchenyuk is he is a better skater

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Galchenyuk is still better than anyone the habs have at center, on the roster or prospects. 

If you think galchenyuk is bad defensively, watch duchene. 

Duchene only advantage on galchenyuk is he is a better skater

Couldn't agree more...

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Chuck played well the last two games.  Julien might be getting through.

Well, giving up on a 23-year-old 30-goal scorer because he struggled for a few weeks after returning from an extended injury - which I predicted would happen - is pretty silly, after all. :rolleyes: The kid is the most talented FW we've developed since Pacioretty, yet quite a few Habs fans have wanted him dealt because of a slump.

I also think that giving up on any high-end player based wholly on their experience with Therrien is a mistake by definition. See Subban, Pernell Karl.

From the comments I've gathered over the years from other players and journalists who cover the team, Galy might not be the most self-confident dude on the planet. My guess is he's an earnest kid who gets down on himself. If so, that's something for coaches and teammates to manage.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, giving up on a 23-year-old 30-goal scorer because he struggled for a few weeks after returning from an extended injury - which I predicted would happen - is pretty silly, after all. :rolleyes: The kid is the most talented FW we've developed since Pacioretty, yet quite a few Habs fans have wanted him dealt because of a slump.

I also think that giving up on any high-end player based wholly on their experience with Therrien is a mistake by definition. See Subban, Pernell Karl.

From the comments I've gathered over the years from other players and journalists who cover the team, Galy might not be the most self-confident dude on the planet. My guess is he's an earnest kid who gets down on himself. If so, that's something for coaches and teammates to manage.

Agree 100%, cept obviously for your groundhog-day never ending man-crush you keep bringing up over and over...move on. Galchenyuk and that ex-hab are not the same players and like you say are different personalities, both did well under Therrien and just gotta hope Galchenyuk does even better under Julien.

Galchenyuk still seems a bit tentative in puck battles along the boards, but again likely goes back to confidence issue perhaps?

• Upvote 1

On 2/22/2017 at 6:47 PM, THE Bobby Orr said:

Commandant...i have taken some flak (and deservedly so) on this thread...but i think we all want him to be our #1 C, me included...however, if you believe (like many do) that our window to win the Cup is arguably in the next two years (that's when key contracts come up start to end), then we need to be honest with ourselves about whether #27 is that player. At this point he seems to have fallen to #3 C - prolly due to his injury no doubt, having said that, he doesn't seem aware of what's going on when he's on the ice.  Last night against the Rangers he was brutal...even the commentators had a hard time trying to come up with positive cliches.     and while Danault is historically NOT a #1 C, you can't blame CJ for not inserting Chucky in there..I hope he turns it around - I really do, Maybe the organization needs to take the pressure off him and not push him into the #1 slot...and/or maybe he is destined to be a winger (nothing wrong with that).  I just can't help but feel that MB doesn't want to pull the trigger on a bonafide top C because he is waiting on #27..  its been 4 years.. Anyway i hope you are right...

true, true... If I am being honest with myself I would rather Chucky be his own player. If that is #1 C on this Team, great! If that is a better winger that can take FO, Super!

His 1st yr in NHL was not the short one after lock out? He came into the league from junior, he is playing in a Huge market... If we are being honest a learning curve is just that; a curve (see file: Seguin, T.). Chucky has all the tools in his bag to become a great player and I feel he now has a coach to show him how to get the work done with them. Time is time. :) 

7 points in 7 games under Julien. 

I don't think people realize just how good that is.... if you go with the fact that he was a PPG player for 45 games before his injury, and that he is a PPG player again now... and call the first few games after his return the outlier due to the fact he needed to get up to game speed, then what you see is a PPG player over a large sample. 

A PPG player would be someone firmly in the top 10 in NHL scoring, at any position. 

If thats what he is doing, surely we can live with him being less than perfect defensively (even though he is a positive possession player).

This team can't score.  There shouldn't even be a discussion of "having enough of Galchenyuk", one of the best players on the team (and one of the best in the league for that matter) at generating offence. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't think people realize just how good that is.... if you go with the fact that he was a PPG player for 45 games before his injury, and that he is a PPG player again now... and call the first few games after his return the outlier due to the fact he needed to get up to game speed, then what you see is a PPG player over a large sample. 

A PPG player would be someone firmly in the top 10 in NHL scoring, at any position. 

If thats what he is doing, surely we can live with him being less than perfect defensively (even though he is a positive possession player).

This team can't score.  There shouldn't even be a discussion of "having enough of Galchenyuk", one of the best players on the team (and one of the best in the league for that matter) at generating offence. 

Totally agree

55 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Damn, do I agree with this.

Yes, having a well-rounded game is important. Yes, it behooves coaches to try to improve that aspect of Galchenyuk's game.

But at some point, you have to start paying attention to a player's strengths and accepting that he may never become Guy Carbonneau. Galy is a natural offensive talent. This business of trying to bang square pegs into round holes because some coach says so, represents much of what has been wrong (and boring) about the NHL over the past 30 years or so.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Damn, do I agree with this.

Yes, having a well-rounded game is important. Yes, it behooves coaches to try to improve that aspect of Galchenyuk's game.

But at some point, you have to start paying attention to a player's strengths and accepting that he may never become Guy Carbonneau. Galy is a natural offensive talent. This business of trying to bang square pegs into round holes because some coach says so, represents much of what has been wrong (and boring) about the NHL over the past 30 years or so.

Like the square peg-round hole, but isn't just coaches...if Galchenyuk is on the wing, talking heads and fans freak out and say are wasting his talent, even though he seems more like a finisher and shooter than a playmaker and 200ft player who can defend well (for now anyways). Don't care if he is most skilled forward and was 'drafted to be the big centre'...

• Upvote 1

One thing for sure..this kid can score ...so let him shoot from the high slot -- a la #67.  its clear to everyone, including my 90 year mother, MB needs to somehow find a bonafide centerman to feed him .  always with the caveat that it's easier said than done.

as for #27, are we afraid he might become, say, another Phil Kessel??  A one-way, one dimensional player - well, let's see - Kessel has 21 goals so far and prolly end up with ~30 this year again.  I'm not really comparing him to Kessel...but my point is Not every player is cut out to be a two-way player. The Habs have a bit of a history of not letting pure goal scorers be just that.    Chucky is an EXCITING player to watch. As pure a goal scorer as MaxPac on a team that needs goals..   Is #27 good in his zone? Meh. Is he good in the face off circle? Meh,Does he win his battles for the puck? Meh...Does he play small? Meh, he plays kinda small for a 6'1" 210 pounder....So okay.  We all know this in spades by now ...its hard to watch over and over again.The only reason Danault is still on the top line is because he is very responsible with and/or without the puck, AND still manages to generate some offense.     I blame the genius for Galchenyuk's slow development when it comes to a solid two-way game...he kept putting DD and a host of others at C instead of #27.

MT was an idiot who cost us PK and will probably cost us N8 (also another victim of MT's ego and lack of coaching skills), and he seriously delayed #27's overall development.  One thing is for sure, this team is starting to look and feel differently ...and that in of itself, is very exciting 

2 hours ago, DON said:

Like the square peg-round hole, but isn't just coaches...if Galchenyuk is on the wing, talking heads and fans freak out and say are wasting his talent, even though he seems more like a finisher and shooter than a playmaker and 200ft player who can defend well (for now anyways). Don't care if he is most skilled forward and was 'drafted to be the big centre'...

development. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

One thing for sure..this kid can score ...so let him shoot from the high slot -- a la #67.  its clear to everyone, including my 90 year mother, MB needs to somehow find a bonafide centerman to feed him .  always with the caveat that it's easier said than done.

as for #27, are we afraid he might become, say, another Phil Kessel??  A one-way, one dimensional player - well, let's see - Kessel has 21 goals so far and prolly end up with ~30 this year again.  I'm not really comparing him to Kessel...but my point is Not every player is cut out to be a two-way player. The Habs have a bit of a history of not letting pure goal scorers be just that.    Chucky is an EXCITING player to watch. As pure a goal scorer as MaxPac on a team that needs goals..   Is #27 good in his zone? Meh. Is he good in the face off circle? Meh,Does he win his battles for the puck? Meh...Does he play small? Meh, he plays kinda small for a 6'1" 210 pounder....So okay.  We all know this in spades by now ...its hard to watch over and over again.The only reason Danault is still on the top line is because he is very responsible with and/or without the puck, AND still manages to generate some offense.     I blame the genius for Galchenyuk's slow development when it comes to a solid two-way game...he kept putting DD and a host of others at C instead of #27.

MT was an idiot who cost us PK and will probably cost us N8 (also another victim of MT's ego and lack of coaching skills), and he seriously delayed #27's overall development.  One thing is for sure, this team is starting to look and feel differently ...and that in of itself, is very exciting 

development. 

:rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

I like 27 and the talent is there... no question.

I do see a little "Eller" in his play once in a while though. Worries me a little that the hockey IQ isn't quite elite level.

ya ...agree he does not appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed.  Tends to look lost without the puck...but he's been blessed with soft hands and a great shot.  And let's not forget this guy said he didn't want to play center at one point...maybe he's smarter than we think, lmao

With the goals #27 has scored in the past few games, he reminds me a little bit of another older #27 we used to love and it's amusing to see the hate. The Kovalev comparison is interesting to me only because of the center vs wing debate that seems to surround Galchenyuk. I don't have much of a profound opinion on the matter and have stayed away from the discussion but I can definitely see how Galchenyuk might be dangerous for the one timer/curl in from the off wing in the offensive zone a la Kovalev. So maybe there is something to him being a winger. Either way, I think he can be a versatile player who can ultimately be competent at either position.

Galchenyuk is a younger, quicker, and slightly less talented Kovalev. 

In their first 5 years in the league:

Alex Galchenyuk 319 games played 195 points .611 PPG

He still has some more games this season as well to inch closer to Kovalev's totals as well.

Alex Kovalev 315 games 215 points .688 PPG

Their numbers in their respective first 5 years are really interesting to compare. Especially the past two seasons. 

GP G A P

Galchenyuk.png

Kovalev.png

49 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

With the goals #27 has scored in the past few games, he reminds me a little bit of another older #27 we used to love and it's amusing to see the hate. The Kovalev comparison is interesting to me only because of the center vs wing debate that seems to surround Galchenyuk. I don't have much of a profound opinion on the matter and have stayed away from the discussion but I can definitely see how Galchenyuk might be dangerous for the one timer/curl in from the off wing in the offensive zone a la Kovalev. So maybe there is something to him being a winger. Either way, I think he can be a versatile player who can ultimately be competent at either position.

He still has some more games this season as well to inch closer to Kovalev's totals as well.

Their numbers in their respective first 5 years are really interesting to compare. Especially the past two seasons. 

GP G A P

Galchenyuk.png

Kovalev.png

That's an impressive bit of info. I tend to agree on the production. Don't ask him to be towes when he's more of a Kane. I think he needs to be on the first line and Plek needs to be with Gallagher and Lehkonen. This team sure needed one more player with some vision. 

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

GP G A P

Galchenyuk.png

Kovalev.png

Exactly 20 years ago...

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Kovalev had the benefit of an era with more goals scored overall in those five years

Kovalev had the benefit of being more talented than 95% of the league. I didn't say he used it, he had it.