Am I the only Habs fan that has had enough of Galchenyuk?

THE Bobby Orr

52 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

Kovalev was an artist trapped in an athlete's body... 

Yes he was quite the character. Like a lot of us he did not know what he had till it was gone. L'artiste indeed.

On Saturday, March 04, 2017 at 0:34 PM, habs rule said:

Yes he was quite the character. Like a lot of us he did not know what he had till it was gone. L'artiste indeed.

What a talent and what an entertaining player - even his bad seasons were laced with melodrama. A perfect guy for Montreal, but he was the epitome of a 'complementary' player whereas we cast him as a core piece. No team wins championships with a guy like that as a core piece. But God love him all the same, he was a blast.

4 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Just an absolute beast when he had possession of the puck. 

Still is one of my favourite players. 

he was so much fun to watch when he was on his game...Radulov reminds me of him but (a bit...)

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎04 at 0:34 PM, habs rule said:
1 hour ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

he was so much fun to watch when he was on his game...Radulov reminds me of him but (a bit...)

Radulov actually works hard, Kovalev was a soft floater who never broke a sweat his whole career (ultra skilled for sure), who I only remember for his glove drop and running into Souray, allowing Bruin go for breakaway...and the Ranger comeback game.

24 minutes ago, DON said:

Radulov actually works hard, Kovalev was a soft floater who never broke a sweat his whole career (ultra skilled for sure), who I only remember for his glove drop and running into Souray, allowing Bruin go for breakaway...and the Ranger comeback game.

LOL ...Don i remember that like it was yesterday...i was at a get-together and, by his reaction, everyone thought he had shattered his hand...it was just a bruised glove.  He was embarrassed though and played his best for us after that, at least for a while.  I do not like the Kessels (floaters) of this world but for AK i make an exception...

1 hour ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

LOL ...Don i remember that like it was yesterday...i was at a get-together and, by his reaction, everyone thought he had shattered his hand...it was just a bruised glove.  He was embarrassed though and played his best for us after that, at least for a while.  I do not like the Kessels (floaters) of this world but for AK i make an exception...

I always wanted the opponent to piss him off, cause it seemed like when he was mad, look the hell out. He played his best. Unfortunately they avoided that.

12 minutes ago, habs rule said:

I always wanted the opponent to piss him off, cause it seemed like when he was mad, look the hell out. He played his best. Unfortunately they avoided that.

I recall one time Loudmouth McGuire was betwern the benches during a game against Colorado, and supposedly word went down the Avs bench that 'Kovalev doesn't want to go tonight' - which had a big confidence-boosting effect for their players. Everyone knew he could kill you single-handedly, so a lot hinged on his whimsical moods.

My own favourite Kovalev moment was when he took Tucker's head off late in a game against the Leafs. The only comparably cathartic moment in recent years was when Subban destroyed that p*ick Marchand with that shattering open-ice hit.

• Upvote 2

In a way this is like Galchenyuk's rookie season as a center, he has much to learn in terms of positioning, and mastering what is probably the hardest position in hockey. He was quite decent against the Canucks, he generated absolutely nothing offensively last night in Calgary, and wasn't great in his own end either. Unfortunately at this point he is obviously unable to take any two wingers, and make them look better than they are like Koivu did in the past, Plekanec at times a few years ago, or even Max Pacioretty over the last few seasons... but like I mentioned Galchenyuk is a "rookie" center so it is normal, and I'm not too worried yet.

I will be very interested in observing Galchenyuk's progression next year under Claude Julien from day 1 at training camp, if there's player who could really blossom under a highly structured coach like Julien it is Galchenyuk. If he's willing to learn, he could take that step to superstar status next year...

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, CerebusClone said:

In a way this is like Galchenyuk's rookie season as a center, he has much to learn in terms of positioning, and mastering what is probably the hardest position in hockey. He was quite decent against the Canucks, he generated absolutely nothing offensively last night in Calgary, and wasn't great in his own end either. Unfortunately at this point he is obviously unable to take any two wingers, and make them look better than they are like Koivu did in the past, Plekanec at times a few years ago, or even Max Pacioretty over the last few seasons... but like I mentioned Galchenyuk is a "rookie" center so it is normal, and I'm not too worried yet.

I will be very interested in observing Galchenyuk's progression next year under Claude Julien from day 1 at training camp, if there's player who could really blossom under a highly structured coach like Julien it is Galchenyuk. If he's willing to learn, he could take that step to superstar status next year...

i truly hope you are right 

• 4 weeks later...

When this was originally posted I scoffed at the idea but now I'm not so sure.  Last night against Tampa he looked totally lost and has been terrible for most of this season.  I think I'm running out of patience as well The Bobby.  When 4rth line players are making more of an impact on a nightly basis there there has to be a problem.  Hard to call a former 30 goal guy a bust but I can't see him ever getting there again if he doesn't change his game.  I think part of it is he's really fragile mentally and the shuffling from centre to wing and back has made him lose confidence. 

I said in the game thread that his level of compete is really discouraging to watch. It seems like he is sulking out there while guys like Lehkonen are showing him up and playing some amazing hockey right now.

Hope he turns it around for the playoffs but if his confidence is this fragile and doesn't think he has to work hard to get what he wants then that certainly is worrisome.

Guest Stogey24

Does anyone remember his second year in the league, when Galchenyuk game into the season hitting everything in sight and working hard for every puck. Where did that guy go?

I love Galchenyuk, but he's fackin soft man. Like big time. 

He needs to play with good players. He may have an injury. Maybe he bumped his head. This is his contract year and he is screwing it up big time. Tons of talent but no brains?

1 hour ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

When this was originally posted I scoffed at the idea but now I'm not so sure.  Last night against Tampa he looked totally lost and has been terrible for most of this season.  I think I'm running out of patience as well The Bobby.  When 4rth line players are making more of an impact on a nightly basis there there has to be a problem.  Hard to call a former 30 goal guy a bust but I can't see him ever getting there again if he doesn't change his game.  I think part of it is he's really fragile mentally and the shuffling from centre to wing and back has made him lose confidence. 

Terrible most of season; but, still same pts/gm as Filip Forsberg/Sean Monahan and basically exact same production as Drouin/Kuznetsov/Wennberg. And all these guys haven't had bad seasons.

Seems many still love Cammalleri as a Hab but he couldn't play a lick of defense and is basically in the running for softest NHLer of all time. 

• Upvote 1

...but what about Arturi guys?  the 3rd best thing to happen to Habs this year...1) Firing Therrien 2) Radulov  3) Arturi...

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Terrible most of season; but, still same pts/gm as Filip Forsberg/Sean Monahan and basically exact same production as Drouin/Kuznetsov/Wennberg. And all these guys haven't had bad seasons.

Seems many still love Cammalleri as a Hab but he couldn't play a lick of defense and is basically in the running for softest NHLer of all time. 

i get what you are saying...at the risk of sounding like a broken record - to me Galchenyuk = Kessel,  Its a bit of a jagged pill to swallow, but that's how i think we need to see him going forward.  Not sure there is anything wrong with that.   

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Does anyone remember his second year in the league, when Galchenyuk game into the season hitting everything in sight and working hard for every puck. Where did that guy go?

I love Galchenyuk, but he's fackin soft man. Like big time. 

YES !!!  i remember when he played like an imposing 6'2" center....then he got beat up by his girlfriend, and has never been the same since lol...

Seriously though,  i truly believe MT screwed this kid up...(makes you wonder what else MT managed to f--k up along the way)

2 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

...but what about Arturi guys?  the 3rd best thing to happen to Habs this year...1) Firing Therrien 2) Radulov  3) Arturi...

i get what you are saying...at the risk of sounding like a broken record - to me Galchenyuk = Kessel,  Its a bit of a jagged pill to swallow, but that's how i think we need to see him going forward.  Not sure there is anything wrong with that.   

Kessel, I guess is OK comparison to his 'indifferent' play in last couple weeks.

But, from late Feb to Mid-March he was on scoreboard almost every game.

http://habsprospects.com/galchenyuk.html

and 0.73pts/gm simply isn't bad, hope he is just streaky and heats up at just the right time of year?

7 hours ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Terrible most of the season?

He has a higher ppg this season than last year.  The only difference is the injury.

6 hours ago, DON said:

So what's your point?  If they played for the Habs I'd be calling them out too.