Feb. 23, Islanders vs Canadiens, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

I don't know how to put these eloquently yet... but these guys look like such losers when they lose. At this point they might even look like losers when they win. I can't imagine the culture in the dressing room is a particularly inspiring one right now.

ok back to basics, drag the nets out, put the target circles. When everyone can hit 3 out 4 3 times in a row, practice is over until then everyone stays I don't care if the are there for 12 hours. Learn to hit the forking net you useless bastidges.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

I don't know how to put these eloquently yet... but these guys look like such losers when they lose. At this point they might even look like losers when they win. I can't imagine the culture in the dressing room is a particularly inspiring one right now.

does it even matter that we are still in first place??

Guest Stogey24

Good teams don't play that shitty for this long.

Tampa is starting to find their game and Stamkos is getting closer to a return. 

Panthers have turned a corner and are going to make a push down the stretch 

Playoffs aren't a given anymore. I could actually see this team missing. Pretty scary 

9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

What could possibly be wrong with the dressing room?  We got rid of the problem for the best leader in the game.?

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What could possibly be wrong with the dressing room?  We got rid of the problem for the best leader in the game.?

No kidding. The team created an aching need for a top-4 puck-mover whike solving exactly zero problems with that trade. However, too many Habs fans simply refuse to face the reality that the trade was stupid. It's too painful to accept, especially for a franchise with a history of chronically losing every blockbuster trade it makes.

That being said, the team played a strong game against the Rags. Climbing out of a slump, and getting rid of the bad habits and low confidence left over from Therrien, will be an uneven process. Let's not over-react to this one game.

• Upvote 1

The trade solved issues but that's besides the point. Why are we talking about this? Because we no longer have Therrien to blame, it's not on all the players or the new coach to take the blame, it's Weber and his lack of leadership that are at question. We have two top 4 caliber left handed defenseman in Beaulieu and Markov. Beaulieu has sucked and Markov can't play those types of minutes apparently. One of which I don't fully agree with in the crunch and the other was worth giving a shot. In addition, neither has really been given an extended look. I like Emelin more than almost everyone on here but there are better options on the current roster than him on the top pairing.

MB stated that he wanted to develop a culture which hated to lose and well that would go hand in hand with Trizzak's point that the culture must be very depressing right now in the locker room. I'm sure Subban throwing out a joke or two in the dressing room would really lighten the mood and solve everything in a jiffy. 

Our biggest weakness is our forward corps. One can talk all they want about how our defensemen can't carry the puck up the ice but we do have some puck movers on the back end. There was a good discussion about whether or not we should get a #2 defenseman or that elusive top 2 center and for me, the answer is the top 2 center if we can only get one or the other. We've needed that for way too long and it needs to be solved already. It also depends on the player. Shattenkirk would be mighty nice.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Our biggest weakness is our forward corps. One can talk all they want about how our defensemen can't carry the puck up the ice but we do have some puck movers on the back end. There was a good discussion about whether or not we should get a #2 defenseman or that elusive top 2 center and for me, the answer is the top 2 center if we can only get one or the other. We've needed that for way too long and it needs to be solved already. It also depends on the player. Shattenkirk would be mighty nice.

We've been hurting for forwards since Bergevin got hired, and what's worse is that was true with Plekanec and DD going full bore. Getting Petry at the deadline was a big mistake, and even now the motto is "you can never have enough defensemen." 3 goals in 3 games under Julien.

Give Julien some time.

I would imagine that Therrien's reaction to the recent slump was to be hard on the players and grind their self-esteem into an old school puree. These guys are good enough for a deep playoff run.

(I'm also seeing both Alberta games in mid-March. Those games better be fun and not a burden!)

1 minute ago, zumpano21 said:

Give Julien some time.

I would imagine that Therrien's reaction to the recent slump was to be hard on the players and grind their self-esteem into an old school puree. These guys are good enough for a deep playoff run.

(I'm also seeing both Alberta games in mid-March. Those games better be fun and not a burden!)

I think they can eke out a win in round one vs an inexperienced team, but they'll fail in the later rounds. Much like the 2010-2013 Nashville teams MB seems to be emulating. I really wouldn't be surprised to have a repeat of 2013 vs Ottawa. I don't think Julien has enough time to change the leopard's spots.

Guest Stogey24
45 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

We've been hurting for forwards since Bergevin got hired, and what's worse is that was true with Plekanec and DD going full bore. Getting Petry at the deadline was a big mistake, and even now the motto is "you can never have enough defensemen." 3 goals in 3 games under Julien.

Petry can look so facking bad at times. Yes, he can play well, but it's so inconsistent. 

I know he has a nmc or ntc, but he's a guy I'd look to swap for another D-man. No idea who, but he has some trade value. 

Just to add to the three goals thing. Montreal has been shutout out 4 of their last 8 games. 

51 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Wait when did Bergevein get fired?:D

Well after last night game. No wins in regulation time in February. And going back 41 games to end of November.. A quick glance shows about 11 regulations games in half a season equivalent. Despite all the injuries in that time period,  and compact schedule is not a sign of a top end contender.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/teams/montreal-canadiens/scores/

Any trade in the next few days will be a short term solution that may solidify a playoff spot, and perhaps an added series win. But I can't see more than that. So if it adds dollars to overall profitability of the club. Sure. But at expense of future futility in few years in the 2020's 

An overall Long term strategy is best option always.

Now, if we were one player away from being a TOP 4 contender ( serious semifinal team ) YES..all in.

But this team is far from that unfortunately despite having a few solid key pieces to contend. You are only as strong as your weakest link. And there is a few .

12 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I know he has a nmc or ntc, but he's a guy I'd look to swap for another D-man. No idea who, but he has some trade value.

He has four years left after this one at big money.  Players with those contracts are much more likely to go in June than they are now.

Guest Stogey24
12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He has four years left after this one at big money.  Players with those contracts are much more likely to go in June than they are now.

Very true