Montreal Canadiens vs. Toronto Maple Leafs | February 25th, 2017 | 7:00 EST

Habsfan84

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The big problem with the national commentators is that they're told to sell the story (that was the big thing Sportsnet promised when they got the rights was to tell a story over just calling the game).  For the Habs, the story is Price - Price is playing well, or why is Price struggling?  It rarely matters what the 18 skaters do, that will be the narrative most nights one way or the other.  And when you get Hughson/Simpson, you'll be inundated with comments about faceoff percentage and line matching.  (Case in point, the Habs get the 2-1 lead and Simpson's comment moments later is wondering whether Julien will change the lines.)

Jim Hughson is the worst. Hated him on the EA games and dread him calling games. I think the only time I've gotten to hear Bartlett this year was the AHL skills competition, interestingly enough.

To me, the best news about tonight was the play of Gallagher and Shaw. Both had an extra gear to their game that we haven't seen at all on most nights this season. If they can find that extra gear consistently down the stretch, then I guarantee you this team will suddenly become much harder to beat.

Price was amazing - although he's not quite at Peak Price, because he is visinly battling out there in a way not characteristic of the Zen master he is at his very best. Nonetheless, he took the bull by the horns tonight. Tremendous effort from him.

1 hour ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Not your typical Saturday night Leafs-Habs game. This feels more like a Thursday in Buffalo, but a lead is a lead.

They look a little more structured each game under Julien. Their passes are more crisp this game, and they're holding onto the puck. There's still a talent gap; indeed Shaw and Plekanec missed the net from in close by a mile.

Not really sure why they needed another player like Shaw, nevermind Shaw for 6 years. I just don't see it.

EDIT: Is it just me, or does Auston Matthews have ginormous nostrils?

Man. I'm the first guy to chirp on shaw, but I thought he was awesome tonight. I was saying early that the plek line looked great and shaw deserved a goal. I like the lines. Other than dd. 

Matthews does have ridiculously large nostrils. 

Guest Stogey24

Good 2 pts. Pacioretty buried a beauty.

Desharnais was absolutely terrible. He's not NHL calibre anymore. 

In four games under Julien, the penalty-kill is a perfect 11-for-11.

Plekanec and Shaw look rejuvenated since Julien took over.

Chucky seems to be getting it as well.

Danault is exposed as not a top 6 c

Emelin is exposed as not a top 4 d.

Those are the areas to fix imo.

Some want chucky back with max and radu.  The only issue is that leaves no second line.  Bergevin must get a top 6 c and lhd.

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Only problem was how many shots missed the net.  Holy crap.  They had 5 shots in the second but must have missed the net 15 times.

Chris Higgins has been doing all that he can to help them on their shot. Give it time.

48 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Plekanec and Shaw look rejuvenated since Julien took over.

Chucky seems to be getting it as well.

Danault is exposed as not a top 6 c

Emelin is exposed as not a top 4 d.

Those are the areas to fix imo.

Some want chucky back with max and radu.  The only issue is that leaves no second line.  Bergevin must get a top 6 c and lhd.

Agreed. But how frustrating is this? We've been 'one top-6 FW and one top-4 defenceman away from a Cup' for what seems like the past five years.

I have been saying all summer I wanted to wait and see with the Weber deal but right now it feels like that is trade is a big reason causing our offensive play. Weber is good but PK was the only real D we had that could create alot of offence. Now we are suffering alot and I think MB have to trade for shattenkirk or maybe Streit as a plan B.

First he trade PK so MT would be happy and half year later he fires MT.

MB better make a great move at the deadline and bring us at least to the eastern conferance finals or I will join the fire Bergevin bandwagon.

Guest Stogey24
40 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agreed. But how frustrating is this? We've been 'one top-6 FW and one top-4 defenceman away from a Cup' for what seems like the past five years.

I think as others have said, Sharp is a guy to target. 

1 minute ago, Dalhabs said:

I have been saying all summer I wanted to wait and see with the Weber deal but right now it feels like that is trade is a big reason causing our offensive play. Weber is good but PK was the only real D we had that could create alot of offence. Now we are suffering alot and I think MB have to trade for shattenkirk or maybe Streit as a plan B.

First he trade PK so MT would be happy and half year later he fires MT.

MB better make a great move at the deadline and bring us at least to the eastern conferance finals or I will join the fire Bergevin bandwagon.

I watched the Washington vs Nashville game last night. Subban has turned it on.

He looks like his former self. 9pts in last 10 games. 

He had something like 27pts in his last 30 games with the Habs.

I seriously miss that guy. I really hope one day he becomes a Hab again. 

Just now, Stogey24 said:

I think as others have said, Sharp is a guy to target. 

I watched the Washington vs Nashville game last night. Subban has turned it on.

He looks like his former self. 9pts in last 10 games. 

He had something like 27pts in his last 30 games with the Habs.

I seriously miss that guy. I really hope one day he becomes a Hab again. 

I doubt Nashville will be that stupid

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Who said need to fill every hole to win a cup? Those are the two most obvious weaknesses, but every team has em.

Anyways, that was a very entertaining game and awesome to see Price shut the door on that #34 in OT (who, by the way isn't a bad hockey player).

Just hope Lehkonen-Gallagher can start putting a few pucks in the net, both are working hard and getting some chances but...

I think the Nesterov experiment is over and he is weak d-man and Desharnais looks softer and softer all the time, sure hope both are not dressed vs Devils. See if new coach will change a lineup after a win?

I thought Nesterov was fine last night... the goal against wasn't his fault, it was more unlucky than anything.  He also made a nice play on Chucky's goal. 

I like his skating ability, and his stickhandling, passing. Its an area we don't have enough of on our blueline. 

Guest Stogey24

I don't even think Nesterov was passing to Galchenyuk. I think it was a super shitty shot that missed the net and hit Galchenyuk in the skates. 

Just now, Stogey24 said:

I don't even think Nesterov was passing to Galchenyuk. I think it was a super shitty shot that missed the net and hit Galchenyuk in the skates. 

We'll never know for sure, but his head was up and looking at the pass IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Nesterov did set up the Galchenyuk goal. He does have some good offensive upside to him if anything else.

DD was pretty useless except for a good start to the game, I think Julien benched him for the final 15 minutes.

Was that a bad pass or simply a missed shot by Nesterov? Goal was due Galchenyuk's skill to corral puck and get it up above goalie.

I think Nesterov and Marc Andre Bergeron are equal on softness scale, but both have/had some puck skills, otherwise wouldn't be in the league if relied only on their defense.

The MAB parallel for Nesterov isn't bad. He's got some skills, but he is one of the softest players I've seen in a while - too soft to carve out a long career as an NHL regular IMHO.