Canadiens trade for Jordie Benn

kaos

*I could quote so many people*

I'm not here to really praise the trade, I'm just happy with where we are because Weber is better than Subban even though Subban is a good player. 

Alright, now I know what it feels like to make delusional comments on this side of the fence as well. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2017 at 3:36 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

illWill, I don't 'bring it up all the time.' I just pipe in when the subject is either Weber or Subban; rarely, since my initial blasts on the subject right after the trade was made, have I initiated the discussion of it. Most of my posts have been on other things. But lately, with Habs29 taking potshots which quite accurately point out that the team has looked rudderless for half a season, and Commandant's point about the myth of Weber protecting Price above, sure, I've chimed in. I think there is so much sensitivity around this - and my own outrage to the trade was so fervent - that ANY reference to Weber or Subban, even incidental, raises people's hackles. I would deny, however, that I am continually going on and on about it.

I like your last line about "considering where we came from" because it may help to clarify a difference between us. My frame of reference is not last season, when Price was hurt and the team had no goaltending, and therefore no chance. It's 2014-15. This team is in no way improved relative to that one, which went 50-22-10 and got rave reviews for its internal chemistry. When I do think about the trade, it's with that in mind.

Your dog died? Poo who!  Did I ever tell you about my vole....?:D

So far, I'm very pleased with JoBe's game.

He makes good decisions with the puck like 95% of the time vs the 75% of Pateryn.

He's also very tough and clearly takes pride in dealing with unwanted visitors in Price's crease after the whistle.

Love it.

2 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

He makes good decisions with the puck like 95% of the time vs the 75% of Pateryn.

He's also very tough and clearly takes pride in dealing with unwanted visitors in Price's crease after the whistle.

Love it.

Epic beard as well.

3 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Love it.

Agreed! I really like what I'm seeing from Benn up to now! A solid 3rd pairing dman!

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I like his toughness for sure. I do have a feeling that people will grow more critical of his defensive-zone play as time wears on.

I agree because his +- wasn't the greatest while on the Stars. I know, a team stat but it is what it is. It's entirely possible that a new destination and possibly being the best Benn on a new team can inspire him though. 

I've liked what I've seen so far and it's possible that Benn ends up being our best late season addition this year but I also really liked what I saw from Martinsen for example, so it's too early to tell. We really need to see 25-40 games of a player before it's possible to really get an accurate assessment of a player. After time, a lot of their deficiencies may start to seep through as you alluded to.

I will say that I agree that he's an upgrade on Pateryn, however, and if that's all he ever becomes, that's good enough for me.

His +/- is easily explained by the low PDO.  He simply didn't get good goaltending behind him, and the forwards in front of him had low shooting percentages. 

He was a good player in Dallas... his possession is solid and his physical play is good.  We have a solid bottom pair D, who could play short stretches in the top 4 (but shouldn't be relied on there).  He's particularly good at killing penalties. Its easily an upgrade on Pateryn. 

• Upvote 1

The thing about this upgrade is that you can spread out the ice time a bit for all 3 defense pairings and markov can stay on the top pair where he is needed most. Increase the second and third pairing minutes and keep Marky at 20 minutes a game. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

The thing about this upgrade is that you can spread out the ice time a bit for all 3 defense pairings and markov can stay on the top pair where he is needed most. Increase the second and third pairing minutes and keep Marky at 20 minutes a game. 

You can also really take limit Markov's PK time, which are amongst the most physically taxing minutes he plays. 

PP are "easy" minutes... PK are "hard" minutes on a defenceman's body. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

You can also really take limit Markov's PK time, which are amongst the most physically taxing minutes he plays. 

PP are "easy" minutes... PK are "hard" minutes on a defenceman's body. 

Well I'm sure the time on the PP spent trying to enter the zone and then the subsequent skate back into their own zone is mentally taxing at this point ...

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Well I'm sure the time on the PP spent trying to enter the zone and then the subsequent skate back into their own zone is mentally taxing at this point ...

One of the positives you may find with CJ is that he likes to carry the puck through the neutral zone and enter the offensive zone with possession. I think over time the players will get better at it and their instincts and execution will improve. Maybe not though. CJ has had some poor performing pp teams in the past. 

5 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

CJ has had some poor performing pp teams in the past. 

Yeah, that team that was the worst PP team in the playoffs that year...the Cup winners.

Muller has some touch on the PP too, so no worries :)

13 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

So is this guy going to be protected for the expansion draft? Probably not so his stay in Montreal could be short.

Habs guaranteed to lose one player and if that is Benn, could be worse choices for Habs.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Habs guaranteed to lose one player and if that is Benn, could be worse choices for Habs.

I like the guy, has played well, would like to see him stay, but we shall see.

28 minutes ago, habs rule said:

I like the guy, has played well, would like to see him stay, but we shall see.

Yes he has looked OK so far, coulda-shoulda had Krieder and possibly helped Price get shutout, but he hasn't had any major gaffs and Craig Ludwig (Dallas commentator) had glowing comments on him as a teammate on/off the ice and bit of a mentor for young kids..