Deadline Day GDT

dlbalr

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think it helps, but it's no magic formula.

BOOOOOOOOO BERGEVIN

I just feel it has diminishing returns.

I second that booo Berg.

So with McCarron, my count puts us at 25 players...

Pacioretty-Danault-Radulov

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Shaw-Plekanec-Byron

King-Mitchell-Ott

Weber-Markov

Petry-Emelin

Benn-Beaulieu

Price

Extras:  Flynn, Martinsen, McCarron, Davidson, Nesterov, Montoya

1 minute ago, nhfarber said:

So with McCarron, my count puts us at 25 players...

Pacioretty-Danault-Radulov

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Shaw-Plekanec-Byron

King-Mitchell-Ott

Weber-Markov

Petry-Emelin

Benn-Beaulieu

Price

Extras:  Flynn, Martinsen, McCarron, Davidson, Nesterov, Montoya

This is the lineup of a first round 0-4 sweep.

Just now, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Does anybody know why Vrbata didn't move for the second year in a row?

Last year I think his wife was due to give birth soon and he didn't want to leave.  This year, it sounds like Arizona's asking price stayed high and no one bit.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

Well. What are the odds there's another completed trade in the pipeline? because it looks to me like all MB did was load us up with more 4th liners than we can use.

There are other deals coming...just not from the Habs.  3 or 4 writers have all said they're done for the day.

Just now, dlbalr said:

There are other deals coming...just not from the Habs.  3 or 4 writers have all said they're done for the day.

I don't get it. Bergevin never has been afraid to pull the trigger...but the things he added don't add anything we need.

3 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Does anybody know why Vrbata didn't move for the second year in a row?

Word is the price was set at a 1st rounder, and they would not budge.  And nobody was stupid enough to pay that price.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

I don't get it. Bergevin never has been afraid to pull the trigger...but the things he added don't add anything we need.

It's pretty clear the plan was to add toughness and shore up the D a bit, then depend on Price playing his best to eke out 2-1 wins.

Only four of our forwards are legitimate top-6 forwards.

Our D is pretty solid.  Weber, Petry, Markov are as good a top 4 as any in the league. We might be weak at 4, but  our 6th and 7th are probably 5th  on most teams depth charts. 

Just now, sbhatt said:

It's pretty clear the plan was to add toughness and shore up the D a bit, then depend on Price playing his best to eke out 2-1 wins.

The least exciting hockey zzzZZZzzz.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

They filled needs today, just not big ones.  They needed centre depth after dealing Desharnais, that's the Ott deal.  King might take Byron's spot on the checking line, allowing Byron to go to the 4th where he can be a bit more effective.  Martinsen adds grit in a depth role and is a better fit than Andrighetto was.  They're all very marginal upgrades but they fill holes.  The top six is still a big hole though.

23 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Habs are done for the day, per Renaud Lavoie.

Saved all the top picks anyways. 3 picks in top 62 gives scouts something to work with and Bergevin chips to trade up if need be.

5 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I think the plan is to hope price gets a shutout and win 1-0 in OT like last night 

2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I don't know what's worse. Not trading for Radim Vrbata or not trying for anyone that could be a top six forward.

Nashville got Parenteau for the same draft pick Montreal got Steve Ott. 

I wouldn't have wanted us to even trade a 2nd rounder for a washed up, old vrbata.  But really was hoping to fill one of our 2 major holes (top D, or top 6).  Instead, we now have 3 lines of 4th liners