Deadline Day GDT

dlbalr

Is the team better than it was a week ago? Yes.

Is it good enough to win the cup? To be determined. But with CP, you always have a shot.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bar said:

To be fair the fans expected deals to be made before this season that would increase offense, he didn't deliver, so you cannot blame fans for hoping beyond reason that he would actually go for it this year, especially with Montreal's cup chances closing.

Well your not being fair. He went out and got Radulov Shaw and Weber who all have contributed to scoring this season.

I don't think we expected Gallagher to go stone cold with the rest of the bottom six. People saw Pleks drop off coming but I don't think anyone expected it to be this bad. I get it though dude it can be frustrating at times but I think some of our guys that have gone cold will turn it around.

1 minute ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Is it good enough to win the cup? To be determined. But with CP, you always have a shot.

It is debatable that this team is better, more physical sure, but I wouldn't say better, since their issue was scoring.

1 minute ago, Scott462 said:

Well your not being fair. He went out and got Radulov Shaw and Weber who all have contributed to scoring this season.

I don't think we expected Gallagher to go stone cold with the rest of the bottom six. People saw Pleks drop off coming but I don't think anyone expected it to be this bad. I get it though dude it can be frustrating at times but I think some of our guys that have gone cold will turn it around.

I wish I could have your faith,  I had faith in MB when he first came, and every year people would say don't worry the deals will come, and they haven't. 

February is the abberation, not the statistical mean. 30th in Feb, but 17th overall. If we had 0.1 better goal per game average, we'd be in the top ten.

Why don't we talk about October when we were on top? Same reason we shouldn't be talking about February. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

If plek and Gallagher can start scoring, that's a good looking roster. Missing a mobile defenseman and a top 6 Centre , but the rest of the league also wants that. 

And if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle

Guest Stogey24
12 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Danault is playing as our first line center, Mitchell is our 4th. I'm also throwing in a first rounder and Beaulieu. Your comparison is more off than mine. 

Danault doesn't have higher trade value than Gallagher was my point 

Guest Stogey24
5 minutes ago, mineral said:

February is the abberation, not the statistical mean. 30th in Feb, but 17th overall. If we had 0.1 better goal per game average, we'd be in the top ten.

Why don't we talk about October when we were on top? Same reason we shouldn't be talking about February. 

You realize February was yesterday 

When is the post-deadline press conference by Bergevin? I really want to get my blood pressure up and risk a stroke from hearing him say "The prices just weren't where we wanted them to be for scoring forwards, but I'm happy with the character guys we've added" 20 times.

10 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Pleks and Gallagher have done squat all year. He had plenty of time to address those holes.  It's his frigid job.  I thought pleks should have been moved last year.

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

When is the post-deadline press conference by Bergevin? I really want to get my blood pressure up and risk a stroke from hearing him say "The prices just weren't where we wanted them to be for scoring forwards, but I'm happy with the character guys we've added" 20 times.

We can make it a drinking game:

1 shot for the following phrases/words:

- character guy

- prices too high
- believe in our core

- team toughness

13 minutes ago, bar said:

I wish I could have your faith,  I had faith in MB when he first came, and every year people would say don't worry the deals will come, and they haven't. 

Honestly a lot of this is because Bergevin was such a mover and shaker early on.

He walked in and basically told Kaberle he was done with the team and Subban would have to sign a bridge or stay home. He traded Erik Cole and his contract and not only got a pick back, but got Michael Ryder who people expected would go for a first rounder. The next year when people said Monteal needed a tough guy he added Parros. When he traded Diaz he got Weise and everyone hated him for it but he proved them wrong. And at the trade deadline, with people thinking Tomas Vanek would cost a first round pick, he got him for a second and a prospect that busted. Bergevin had swagger to make the deals he wanted to make and get the players to sign at how much he wanted to sign them. He got Subban for a bridge. He got Price without a no trade clause at a decent price. He looked extremely competent.

Now I'm not saying Bergevin is bad at trading. I think for the most part he has a very good track record. But Bergevin has also had a #2RW hole for five years and constantly fills it with temporary one year players (Ryder, Vanek, PAP, Radulov), he has a #2LW hole he tried filling with our future #1 centre for too long, he had to get a top four LD and never did, and filled the top four RD hole with Jeff Petry, which was a good move that unfortunately might not have worked as well as the Habs hoped.

So now we're in year five with a team that is getting dangerously close to repeating their last year collapse, holding onto first in the Atlantic by a thread, having just fired the coach Bergevin said he was in a foxhole in, and when the organization needs something positive to kick them into high gear and focus on both making the playoffs and winning a Stanley Cup? Marc Bergevin signs a bunch of #SANDPAPER bottom sixers and doesn't fill the holes in the top six/top four. Nothing about today gave the impression Montreal is IN IT to WIN IT. Everything looks like they are IN IT to SURVIVE MAYBE. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I'm not convinced its better. 

The biggest issue, putting the puck in the net, was not addressed. 

8 minutes ago, bar said:

It seems every year our deadline improvements are "Players will just get better", haha.

Vanek and Petry were big adds. 

I don't like this deadline, but I'm not going to forget that Bergevin made big moves in 2014 and 15. 

Thats why i was so hopeful he'd get something today. 

13 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

But what deals my man? 

I wanted Duchene too but Sakic wanted the moon for him and apparently needed Serg for it to work and IMO that just wasn't going to fly for the Habs.

The Coyotes wanted a second for Vrbata.  They held out for that and when no one would do it they held him.

I would have given a second for a guy with 47 points so far this year.  

He could have helped the second line wing. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm not convinced its better. 

The biggest issue, putting the puck in the net, was not addressed. 

Or the secondary issue of who plays with Weber. 

Hell, on a top 5 list of issues with the Habs, Bergevin fixed #6.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The Coyotes wanted a second for Vrbata.  They held out for that and when no one would do it they held him.

I would have given a second for a guy with 47 points so far this year.  

He could have helped the second line wing. 

Thats interesting if true. Isn't he a UFA next year? Maybe that played a roll but I would of done that trade as well

Every team passed on him though so it looks like there was issues there. It happened last year with him too.

20 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Danault doesn't have higher trade value than Gallagher was my point 

Fair enough but Gallagher is vastly underrated just because of this season. I wouldn't want to trade him for Duchene and I've loved Duchene since his draft year. I constantly see posts about trading Gallagher but I can only shake my head at the thought.

• Upvote 1