Deadline Day GDT

dlbalr

1 hour ago, mineral said:

At the end of the day, did any team really make a major move for a top 6? Outside of Vanek and Stafford (who has been a top 6 producer once in the last 5 years), what other big names at forward were moved/acquired? No, neither Iggy nor Hanzal are top 6.

The entire trade deadline was all about spare parts, save Shattenkirk. 

This is my thinking, and I'm no MB apologist. None of the teams dramatically improved. Shattenkirk and Hanzal were the big prizes, and they're complementary players. I don't think there was a piece available to make the team improve.

That's not to defend Bergevin, either. This roster, as constructed, has serious issues five seasons into a rebuild. After five years, you can't have three top-6 forwards. (Gallagher isn't one).

Managing a team has to be extremely difficult. Every year the needs move in a different direction. Sometimes a little time is all that's needed for a player to get out of a slump. Other times, they are just done.  If you told me that Gallagher would be completely useless this year, I would argue against it. We all expected plek to slow down but who thought he would fall off a cliff over night? Fans collectively wanted some  things to happen and many have happened.  Last year we wanted a better PP. It is better. Last year we wanted Eller and DD gone. They are gone. Last year we believed one more top 6er would put them over the top. Radulov is a high end top 6er. Last year we said Therrien needed to be gone.  He is gone. So all these adjustments are made and secondary scoring falls to almost zero. So you react and trade all the slumping players? Do you trade the farm and picks to go for it now? Do you try to fix some weaknesses that don't cost a lot and hope that your depth can improve? If I were to assess this team, I would say they are still not a contender, but the right players improve and they could win a cup. I would rather they continue improving over time and improve their drafting and player development. They need some players within the system to fill these holes.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

This is my thinking, and I'm no MB apologist. None of the teams dramatically improved. Shattenkirk and Hanzal were the big prizes, and they're complementary players. I don't think there was a piece available to make the team improve.

That's not to defend Bergevin, either. This roster, as constructed, has serious issues five seasons into a rebuild. After five years, you can't have three top-6 forwards. (Gallagher isn't one).

I believe Gallagher is a top 6 forward, but not sure he will show it this season.  

He needs to get grip strength back in his hand, which won't happen until at least the summer. 

The guy was scoring to start the year 9 points in 10 games, and then he got put with the blackhole of offence (Plekanec), and then he got hurt. 

I don't blame Bergevin for not predicting that. 

2 hours ago, bar said:

Yeah I obviously meant  trade Sergachev for Drew Stafford, are you dumb? All I ever see you do is play the devil's advocate card, I don't know why I am even wasting my time responding to you, trolls get off on the attention.

You do know you are whining about missing out on a 4g scorer.

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The problem is Montreal didn't even try to find a middle six forward who could play top six just not relied to be one. How do you know that?

• Upvote 1

Have to believe there was a deal that didn't get done...why else stock up on so many extra players and clear up a bit of cap room?  They aren't likely to say much about it but, to me, it seems pretty obvious they had a more impactful deal either fall through or not materialize.  Perhaps it was Duchene but possibly someone else we weren't hearing rumors about...either way, they simply remained too far apart or another GM upped his asking trying to rape us at the 11th hour after MB made those moves.  Just my guess.

3 minutes ago, Zowpeb said:

Have to believe there was a deal that didn't get done...why else stock up on so many extra players and clear up a bit of cap room?  They aren't likely to say much about it but, to me, it seems pretty obvious they had a more impactful deal either fall through or not materialize.  Perhaps it was Duchene but possibly someone else we weren't hearing rumors about...either way, they simply remained too far apart or another GM upped his asking trying to rape us at the 11th hour after MB made those moves.  Just my guess.

you could very well be right.

I think this team is better today than it was a few days ago. No sexy acquisitions but some solid veterans that will definitely help. The team has won 3 in a row, Price is playing great again, new coach is getting adjusted, things are looking up

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, illWill said:

I think this team is better today than it was a few days ago. No sexy acquisitions but some solid veterans that will definitely help. The team has won 3 in a row, Price is playing great again, new coach is getting adjusted, things are looking up

I agree that it is better today.

I'm just not sure its good enough since the big weaknesses weren't addressed. 

I'm pretty sure that Benn and King are both upgrades.

I also like Davidson for depth. 

Not a fan of Ott, I think he's washed up and a liability, and I think Martinsen isn't very good... but meh we gave up virtually nothing on those deals so I'm okay with it.

I guess I don't have a problem with any of the trades we did do. 

I feel like there is something we didn't do though, and that was get one more scorer. 

4 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

At the end of the day, no true contender has a glaring weakness like the Habs do. 

Like I said, 30th in the league in scoring in February. Yet, we add ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that can help this team put the puck in the net. Atleast bring in a dark horse player. 

The window is almost no more. 

MB is counting on Galchenyuk to become a stud C.  Let's pray he is right.  I know, i know..he scored two goals in two nights and that's great...those two goals BTW had nothing to do with him playing center.  I might be the only voice here that is not sold on him as a C.  As a winger sure..but not a C. This obsession with #27 as our top C is hurting us because it gives MB an excuse (time and again) for not pulling the trigger on a bonafide heart and soul centerman.

At this point WHY try to make him a C?  Just put him on the wing and let him score goals ...I would rather see Max at center with Rad and Chuck on the wings  Now wouldn't that be a line?  why not. 

Addendum: BTW, i blame MT and his love for DD and DLR, etc...for #27's slow development at center, Sorry to say BUT  MTs signature on this team is a bit of a b-tch...PK is gone because of him, N8 hasn't developed into a top 4 because of him, and numerous other nuances.  hopefully CJ will put everything right for #27, and #28..and the rest of the team.

As i am sure all fans are, I am really excited for the next game... can't say i have felt that in a long while..its great.  Is this a CJ surge...maybe.    but they have proven they don't give up like they used to  

I think these depth moves will help us in the playoffs. Our bigger guys can lean on the other teams opening the way for our skilled guys to get it done and even chip in every once and a while.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

This line of thought only makes sense to me with EA Sports style overall scores.

The team went from a 77 to a 78 due to these trades. Hey, they are better! Wooo!

There's a fine line between winning and losing in the NHL, especially in a 7 game series. Any improvement increases the chances of winning

• Upvote 1

Just now, illWill said:

There's a fine line between winning and losing in the NHL, especially in a 7 game series. Any improvement increases the chances of winning

Yup. Four trades and the team got a blip better. Meanwhile the Caps added Shattenkirk, the Panthers added Vanek, and the Penguins added Streit and Hainsey. That's not even counting the west teams like Minnesota and San Jose that added pieces. This team is supposed to be playing for the Cup, remember?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

This line of thought only makes sense to me with EA Sports style overall scores.

The team went from a 77 to a 78 due to these trades. Hey, they are better! Wooo!

You don't agree that the team can be better, but still not good enough. 

7 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Yup. Four trades and the team got a blip better. Meanwhile the Caps added Shattenkirk, the Panthers added Vanek, and the Penguins added Streit and Hainsey. That's not even counting the west teams like Minnesota and San Jose that added pieces. This team is supposed to be playing for the Cup, remember?

There's a reason they play the games and not award the Cup based on names on a roster

16 minutes ago, illWill said:

There's a reason they play the games and not award the Cup based on names on a roster

Okay be real.

What's your confidence in this team winning the Stanley Cup?

I'm not asking your confidence in a few rounds.

Do you think this club is a favourite, or even a Top 5 favourite, to win the Stanley Cup?

If not, why are you fine with this?

Every year besides the Vanek year, I've smoked Bergevin's ass over an open fire after the deadline. I know it's disappointing, but I think this was the one year that nobody was available. It's really not a question of cost, imo. They might not have the pieces to get the big fish out of the Colorado, or perhaps, those players are just Yetis in an Avalanche? Sakic has one card left and then he'll probably get the gate. He's going to drag it out.

The only guy I can come up with that would have really helped them was Vanek, and it's possible that they soured on him or vice versa. I can't think of another time a team got the same player at the deadline twice. (Moore, Metropolit, Stempniak might be candidates).

On 3/1/2017 at 3:59 PM, huzer said:

I'm not saying that I think Bergevin is the bee's knees, but people clamored for MT's head and to get CJ...he did. People have been complaining about DD for the past 2, maybe 3 years. He's gone. Everybody knew that Duchene and Landeskog were not getting traded until the offseason. That left Vrbata, who stayed put, and Vanek, who people didn't really seem to want anyway. Maybe holding on to that 1st when it could used for a trade in the offseason is better management than using it for a couple of months of Vrbata? Where is the mythical top 6 available player that should've been added?

I'm not an Ott fan, but I do like King and appreciate the addition of Martinsen. Seeing him in person a few times, he's big and seemed fast out there. I'll appreciate those two on a bottom line instead of DD and Ghetto. Davidson and Benn make it seem like we won't see Nesterov in the lineup anymore.

People seem to forget that most teams "selling" are getting assets for UFAs that would walk at the end of the year. Seriously, take a look at the forwards that were traded today. Look at the top UFA lists for 2017...most of those players are already on playoff bound teams. I know you can't please all of the people all of the time, but man, this fan base expects the moon more often than not.

bravo! Best post in the whole thread!  Couldn't have said it better myself!

2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Okay be real.

What's your confidence in this team winning the Stanley Cup?

I'm not asking your confidence in a few rounds.

Do you think this club is a favourite, or even a Top 5 favourite, to win the Stanley Cup?

If not, why are you fine with this?

I have serious doubts they can get out of the first round against a Metro opponent. I think they can beat the Panthers or the Leafs and are going to have a long, brutal series against Boston or Ottawa. This team's window shut last year. Plekanec and Markov were big time pieces, and they haven't been replaced. Might be better for them to crash and burn and rebuild around Sergachev, Galchenyuk, and Charlie Lindgren to be honest. Weber looks like shit already.

I like how we're supposed to be happy with Bergevin for getting rid of David Desharnais in 2017.

It's like your parents telling you today they finally got you a Nintendo Wii-U. That's what you wanted right? Why aren't you happy? They got you what you wanted!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I like how we're supposed to be happy with Bergevin for getting rid of David Desharnais in 2017.

It's like your parents telling you today they finally got you a Nintendo Wii-U. That's what you wanted right? Why aren't you happy? They got you what you wanted!

I'm not happy, but I don't think (for once) that they had the pieces or the players available to really improve things for themselves. The season's gone off the rails, and is just getting back. I don't think it's really the year to go all in or if they can even get to that point again. 2014-15 was the year.