Nashville Predators vs. Montreal Canadiens | March 2nd, 2017 | 7:30 EST

Habsfan84

8 minutes ago, KoRP said:

That's fair enough I guess Habs Rule, you make some good points, your opinion though, and your expectations, same as I have, doesn't mean either one of us is right.

But in the end,  isn't it really all relative? Seguin hasn't got the Dallas Stars anywhere, Kane and O'Reilly have not got Buffalo anywhere, Kessel joined a stacked team at C, and the Kings aren't in the playoffs just now, but if they make it, they may scare the top teams.

All I'm saying is, although maybe not top contenders, Habs are still contenders, and I am happy enough in this new NHL era, there are much worse teams and GM's in the league, and MTL isn't the only team with holes, but we roll 4 lines...

All I want is a stanley cup and I don't think we are going to get it by switching 3 and 4th liners.

Bergevin add to current roster from Gauthier's;

Weber

Petry

Beaulieu

Radulov

Lehkonen

Galchenyuk

Gallagher

Danault

McCarron

dela Rose

Mitchell

Flynn

Montoya

Benn

King

Edited by DON
add beaulieu

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Great post! However, this data does suggest that the team performance has stagnated rather than taken the next step into the inner circle of front-ranked contenders. Otherwise put, yes, we are second tier contenders and have been so since 2013-14. Your interpretation is to suggest we be thankful that the team has not slipped significantly downwards; those of us who wanted a rebuild that led to an elite, league-feared contender will ask instead why MB's team has not improved in any discernable way over the past 3-4 seasons, given that it has never been in the top tier during that time.

I agree that we've stagnated to an extent but I'm basing that on our run to the conference finals a few years ago. Time will tell but in my opinion we're missing a key veteran contributor in the playoffs. All of our most important playoff players with experience are generally depth players. We don't quite have a Gionta or Cammalleri anymore. That would be what worries me the most. Dwight King and Alex Shaw won't win us a series. Pacioretty and Price seem to be our main hope when it comes down to it. 

With that being said, the Habs and their fanbase are passionate and I can see us being able to contend with any team out there when it really comes down to it. 

On another note, (nothing to do with the quoted text), bashing Bergevin for inheriting many of our better core players is kind of a silly criticism. It's not his fault and in general, Bergevin has made more moves than most GMs out there. In addition, he's done more than only chase after depth players. Of course If I remember correctly, with Radulov he was simply lucky. 

50 minutes ago, DON said:

Bergevin add to current roster from Gauthier's;

Weber

Petry

Beaulieu

Radulov

Lehkonen

Galchenyuk

Gallagher

Danault

McCarron

dela Rose

Mitchell

Flynn

Montoya

Benn

King

How many of those are impact players who are developed through the draft and farm system under Bergevin 's watch? Not one. Chucky is the only one and he was developed in juniors and drafted 3 days after MB was hired. This is not a statement about the team or its success. More a condemnation of Bergevin's insistence on not mortgaging the future. Without trades what future was there to mortgage? A pile of AHL forwards and defenseman, fringe #7 defenseman and 4th liners. Until one of the "future stars"  from this farm system actually steps up and has an impact, I am sticking to this theory. 

14 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

On another note, (nothing to do with the quoted text), bashing Bergevin for inheriting many of our better core players is kind of a silly criticism. It's not his fault and in general, Bergevin has made more moves than most GMs out there. In addition, he's done more than only chase after depth players. Of course If I remember correctly, with Radulov he was simply lucky. 

I think MB is very good at making trades (subban being the exception). I would say his biggest weakness is recognizing and correcting weakness in his management, coaching, and development group. In a cap world, teams need low paid players  from within the system to step up and take on larger roles. His group has failed in that sense over the last 5 years. 

31 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

How many of those are impact players who are developed through the draft and farm system under Bergevin 's watch? Not one. Chucky is the only one and he was developed in juniors and drafted 3 days after MB was hired. This is not a statement about the team or its success. More a condemnation of Bergevin's insistence on not mortgaging the future. Without trades what future was there to mortgage? A pile of AHL forwards and defenseman, fringe #7 defenseman and 4th liners. Until one of the "future stars"  from this farm system actually steps up and has an impact, I am sticking to this theory. 

The world...she is ahh flat eh!:rolleyes:

what great, or even good, trade and or pick-up has MB made?  the Weber - PK deal made absolutely no sense.  AT BEST it's a wash. Getting Radulov was pure luck...signing Vanek? ok that was a good one and it took some balls.  More recently tho??...Signing Shaw?? Montoya?...i don't think so.    Frankly his best move so far was stealing Byron from Calgary.. let's not even talk about his pal MT...so far i give him an E for effort. 

On the positive side he signed Price, Max, Gally, Weber, Chucky, Plex to long term deals, Plex was a mistake but let's give MB the benefit of the doubt - I don't believe anyone could have predicted what's happening to him.  But the core group is signed...he gave himself a 2 year window

Being a GM in the NHL and specifically in MTL, has to be the easiest job ever...  

I think Bergevin has done very well with trades a signings. (subban the exception) I would give him an A-. Vanek, Petry,  Radulov were all high end players acquired for very little. He has improved the bottom 6 very well . The issue I have is that he should continue and trade for that top 6 Centre . Even if it means trading highly rated prospects. Because, as I said before. ZERO. that's the number of prospects that his farm system has developed into impact players. So long term he needs to identify that Sly and mellanby and breeze by and any number of Scouts just aren't getting it done. Make the adjustments required to improve the farm system long term. Short term... Trade some of your prospects and get that #1 or #2 Centre man. History has shown that your prospect pool is crap anyway so why so afraid to trade them?