Prospect Graduation, 2017 season

huzer

I took a gander at our prospect pool, and it doesn't look super promising. Is there anyone that may be ready to make the jump to the team next year? I doubt any JR players (other than Sergachev) gets a serious look in camp. The only AHL names that jump out are Hudon and Scherbak, who seems to be on a nice little run right now. I haven't kept up on the Ice Caps, so other than stats to go by, I can't give a good opinion on players that may be solid, but not reflecting it on the stat sheet.

Sergachev, Hudon are likely ready out of training camp. 

Scherbak will need some time in the AHl, but i could see a midseason recall. 

Reway will be a wild card.  Does he come back.  Even if he does he needs some AHL time due to the layoff, but how much.  Most people said he would compete with Lehkonen for the job Lehkonen took (before his illness). 

De la Rose up full time in a fourth line role?

Lindgren might be ready to be a backup, but Montoya is in his way. 

Other than that, guys like Bitten, Mete, etc... are more long term. 

1 hour ago, JGC21 said:

I know it's early but any thoughts on who the Habs will lose in the expansion draft?   Can LV take Hudon?

They could, yes.

I think the Habs will lose Plekanec, cause we won't protect him, and there simply aren't a lot of centres available and they need to meet the cap floor. 

Vegas will take him.  Hope to give him a good season, and then move him at the deadline for a Hanzal like return of draft picks to build them for the future. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

They could, yes.

I think the Habs will lose Plekanec, cause we won't protect him, and there simply aren't a lot of centres available and they need to meet the cap floor. 

Vegas will take him.  Hope to give him a good season, and then move him at the deadline for a Hanzal like return of draft picks to build them for the future. 

How ugly is our center position going to be next year if that is the case? 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

How ugly is our center position going to be next year if that is the case? 

Options:

1.) Sign Shipachyov.  Third in KHL scoring this year. 

2.) Sign Martin Hanzal as a UFA. 

3.) Trade

4.) Cause a riot in the city.  Sign UFA David Desharnais. 

I think in an ideal situation for the Habs would be to have LV select Plekanec and free up $6 million. That'd give Montreal in the neighborhood of $27M in cap room with Galchenyuk $6M?, Beaulieu $2.5M?, Radulov possibly $6M? needing new deals. That leaves ~$12- $13M.  

Depending on how Nesterov $1M plays, give him a new deal.

Now there's ~$12 M 

Now the Markov spot needs to be filled and either a top 6 Centre or Left wing is required.  Little unfair to ask Sergachev to fill that hole.  

With Juulsen, Hudon, Scherbak, and with two 1st rounders and Five 2nd rounders over the next 2 drafts go find a solution. 

He's played enough with the Habs that he's probably not really a prospect now but don't forget about Carr for next season.  Like Hudon and de la Rose, he too will be eligible for waivers so he may be in the picture as well.

I know its only been a few games but I like Jordie Benn and hope LV doesn't take him.  MTL will protect Weber, Petry and Beaulieu most likely, leaving a few decent dmen exposed:

Emelin

Benn

Davidson

Nesterov

if I had my way, I'd rather LV take Plekanec than Emelin (both have stupid contracts) thereby freeing up significant cap space.