Montreal Canadiens vs. Vancouver Canucks | March 7th, 2017 | 10:00 EST

Habsfan84

1 hour ago, illWill said:

My take on face offs is that they are important , but they are way overrated. Possession changes a billion times throughout a game and face offs are only a small percentage of that. There are definitely ones that are more important than others, like when a team is on the powerplay or shorthanded, or late in the game. A face off at even strength outside the blue line doesn't compare to those. I guess I'd just want a guy who is clutch at winning them in those situations rather than focus on his overall number. 

Yup and would be a bonus if Galchenyuk could be used on last minute PP/PK or d-zone, but he would be just about the last forward to take that faceoff. But, have him on the wing makes sense (where he should be all the time) and Julien would have Danault take faceoff, which also makes sense. 

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Shaw has come around big-time...FINALLY. He's a dynamo lately. I agree on Davidson, but most commentators seem to think he did fine, so maybe it's just us (although I was sober, alas)

No wasn't impressed with Davidson, but fairly insignificant as is just another depth d-man.

2 minutes ago, DON said:

No wasn't impressed with Davidson, but fairly insignificant as is just another depth d-man.

Exactly.  I was not impressed with Davidson, just as I was not impressed with Nesterov/Pateryn/Johnston/Barberio.

2 hours ago, illWill said:

My take on face offs is that they are important , but they are way overrated. Possession changes a billion times throughout a game and face offs are only a small percentage of that. There are definitely ones that are more important than others, like when a team is on the powerplay or shorthanded, or late in the game. A face off at even strength outside the blue line doesn't compare to those. I guess I'd just want a guy who is clutch at winning them in those situations rather than focus on his overall number. 

3 hours ago, KoRP said:

Saw a highlight reel of plays last night where Schiefele lost numerous battles in front of his net(Malkin's 3rd last night), and along the boards as well, and showed poor defensive awareness,  he is young as is Chucky, and I'll bet that Chucky would be right up near the top of the scoring race without the injury trouble he had this year.

45%-55% on the draw, meh, I can live with that because he brings such excitement and skill when he gets that bisquit on his stick.

I don't really buy in to the idea and modern narrative however, that face offs aren't important, they most certainly are, especially in your own zone, and when you have a point man like Weber, or Markov in the O zone, they aren't the be all end all, but they are still an important part of the game...start with possession, or start having to get possession, it's a no brainer that they are important.

Exactly what Will said.... Faceoffs are important, but they are way overrated, and not near as important as they are made out to be. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Shaw has come around big-time...FINALLY. He's a dynamo lately. I agree on Davidson, but most commentators seem to think he did fine, so maybe it's just us (although I was sober, alas)

Davidson was just ok in my book. Especially considering it was his first game on a new team and with a new coach (and he hadn't been playing much in Edmonton either).  I expect him to get better. 

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Exactly.  I was not impressed with Davidson, just as I was not impressed with Nesterov/Pateryn/Johnston/Barberio.

That's the first game he's played in like 2 weeks. 

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, DON said:

Yup and would be a bonus if Galchenyuk could be used on last minute PP/PK or d-zone, but he would be just about the last forward to take that faceoff. But, have him on the wing makes sense (where he should be all the time) and Julien would have Danault take faceoff, which also makes sense. 

You think Galchenyuk should be on the wing all the time?

12 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

That's the first game he's played in like 2 weeks. 

So what ?   This was  Crosby's 1st game in 10 months...  One is a bit more impressive than the other...

I doubt that Davidson's game will ever impress me at all. 

13 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

So what ?   This was  Crosby's 1st game in 10 months...  One is a bit more impressive than the other...

Well there's a bulletproof argument. :rastapop:

27 minutes ago, mineral said:

Well there's a bulletproof argument. :rastapop:

Ok,  i will elaborate.

We traded Desharnais for this guy.

He's a 3rd pair dman. Period.

He played like a 3rd pair dman and, of course, didn't impress me.

Do I believe that he played like a 3rd pair dman because it was his first game in like 2 weeks ?  Hell no.  He won't sudently play like a top pair dman because it's his 7th game in 2 weeks.

I was referring more about the return from injury comparison. Crosby is unequivocally one of the best players on planet, and not just between the ears; he is a physical specimen that doesn't quite compare to many, especially a 3rd pair defenseman. And Syd did come back to the same team, teammates, system and coach. That said, there is room to argue about some of this - I can't find the game by game logs for Davidson on TSN at the moment or details on his injury, what rehab he needed, etc. 

Everything else you elaborated on can't be argued, however.  I've heard a lot of intriguing things about Davidson, but it's hard to judge given he's been on a shit team with crappy teammates. I remain a little optimistic and kind of hoping for a Gorges 2.0. 

Edited by mineral

I don't think Davidson is suddenly going to be a top pair guy. He's a third pair defenceman. 

I do think he can be as good as Emelin though (who realistically isn't a top 4 guy unless sheltered by his partner)

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

How does that have any relevance at all

15 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

How does that have any relevance at all

See a few posts above.

You kinda implied that his play was not impressive because it was his 1st game in 2 weeks.

My take on it  is that even if it was his 7th game in 2 weeks, he would not have been more impressive anyway.

A 2 weeks absence BARELY explains being rusty for what,  2-3 shifts ?  Maybe 1 single period of hockey.  Not more than that.

3 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

You think Galchenyuk should be on the wing all the time?

Why not, he is more a finisher than playmaker, don't you think? Shouldn't he be busting up the middle looking for stretch breakaway pass like Pacioretty or Rick Nash.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
49 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

See a few posts above.

You kinda implied that his play was not impressive because it was his 1st game in 2 weeks.

My take on it  is that even if it was his 7th game in 2 weeks, he would not have been more impressive anyway.

A 2 weeks absence BARELY explains being rusty for what,  2-3 shifts ?  Maybe 1 single period of hockey.  Not more than that.

:huh:

The kid sat prior to the deadline. Then got traded to a new team, that has a completely different system. Yet, two shifts in you expect him to be in full flight. 

Give the kid a chance before any judgement is made. 

Julien said in an interview that he told his assistant coaches in Boston that he wanted Davidson on his team. 

Just cause a player is a goal scorer, doesn't mean they are more suited to the wing than centre. 

Especially given how much Galchenyuk's offence has improved by moving him from Wing to Centre last February. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Just cause a player is a goal scorer, doesn't mean they are more suited to the wing than centre. 

Especially given how much Galchenyuk's offence has improved by moving him from Wing to Centre last February. 

Don't you think he has been better defensively since he is up to speed again after his injury? I have been seeing him as better in puck battles and on his back checking game as positioning, but I am hoping for him so hard I don't know if that's an accurate assessment...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, KoRP said:

Fair enough, so long as he stays the same as he's been in overtime this season, I'll take it.

Yes 2 goals and assist in last 3 OTs is none too shabby!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

3 hours ago, KoRP said:

Don't you think he has been better defensively since he is up to speed again after his injury? I have been seeing him as better in puck battles and on his back checking game as positioning, but I am hoping for him so hard I don't know if that's an accurate assessment...

3 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

hes been better at the dot recently as well!

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

He has been a little better defensively lately, but i thought he was poor against vancouver... .so who knows if its a few good games or real development.  Too small a sample to know IMO. 

2 hours ago, KoRP said:

Fair enough, so long as he stays the same as he's been in overtime this season, I'll take it.

Ok, speak up.... who downvoted 5 posts in a row and why?  This seemed like a decent discussion. 

• Upvote 1