Game Notes

Goals Pacioretty (33) Kane (30) Puck Drop: 7:30 PM EST
Assists Radulov (31) Kane (43) National TV: NBCSN
Points Pacioretty (60) Kane (73) Regional TV: SNE, RDS, CSN-CH
PIMS Shaw (101) Hartman (55) English Radio: TSN 690
+/- Byron/Weber (+14) Campbell (+19) French Radio: FM 98.5

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Chicago - the exemplary organization when it comes to replacing complementary players with high-quality, affordable young successors. I don't know how they keep doing it. 

To be fair, I have no doubt the Habs tried to sign Panarin as well, Chicago has an advantage for signing talent as a known perennial contender is likely the difference

39 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

They draft and develope and sign. They let complimentary players cough cough shaw, who wasn't too much money and term walk, so that they can pay the real talent. 

I know. But you have to have quality talent consistently coming down the pipe in order to do that. And I guess my real point is that I don't see the Habs being anywhere near that point, despite having had a bettet draft position than the Hawks for most of the past decade. 

59 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

To be fair, I have no doubt the Habs tried to sign Panarin as well, Chicago has an advantage for signing talent as a known perennial contender is likely the difference

Its not just Panarin, though he is the best of the group. 

Chicago has also signed guys who have filled roles out of the college free agent ranks, like a Trevor van Riemsdyk for example. Michal Kempny, Dennis Rasmussen, Tanner Kero, Multiple teams were in on all these guys, so yes part of it is identifying talent, but another part is convincing them to sign with Chicago. 

The fact that its known that Quenneville will give them a chance to contribute does not hurt. 

When Bergevin took over, I had hopes we could build such a 'permanent contender.' But now it looks more and more as though the game is to try to win one Cup during Weber's limited window, then crap out. Hopefully this is an overly pessimistic reading of the overall talent in the pipeline.

• Upvote 1

Chicago's younger players look good because they are always playing beside elite talent. (Toews, Kane, Keith)

Panarin would have looked good it Montreal, but I doubt he would have had the success he has had in Chicago... especially under MT.

Habs are getting there though.. Juulsen and Serg are top D prospects.. Scherbak is young and Lehkonen looks special. 

Just lock up 31 long term and the window stays open.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I know. But you have to have quality talent consistently coming down the pipe in order to do that. And I guess my real point is that I don't see the Habs being anywhere near that point, despite having had a bettet draft position than the Hawks for most of the past decade. 

The Habs didn't effectively suck as bad as the Hawks before the Hawks current stretch of strong seasons, giving a bit a credence to tanking.  Strangely enough, excluding the Galchenyuk draft year, the Habs have been +/- a couple of picks around the Hawks in terms of 1st round draft position. It's crazy how much the bitter taste of last year has sullied the overall strength of the Habs the past few years as well. Exclude the Martin/Cunneyworth/Gauthier debacle season for the 2012 pick and the rotating cast of sub-par backup goalies 2016 draft years, and the Habs have only had a couple of picks in the low teens, and more in the 20s. Of course, that shows the Habs have more highs/lows and less consistency.

Guest Stogey24

How is Emelin still playing. I cannot even stand to watch him anymore. He played a ton last game too. Joke

Mccarron will apparently be in the pressbox. It should be King. The guy does absolutely nothing. 

Apparently Davidson might replace Beaulieu. I really don't understand Julien's hate for Beaulieu. Emelin seems to do no wrong.

Sorry, had to vent a bit there 

22 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Apparently Davidson might replace Beaulieu. I really don't understand Julien's hate for Beaulieu. Emelin seems to do no wrong.

Julien said it's to keep the D-man always fresh. For that it does make sense but I don't feel it should be Beaulieu at this point. Emelin has been struggling as of late and could use some time off. 

14 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

Julien said it's to keep the D-man always fresh. For that it does make sense but I don't feel it should be Beaulieu at this point. Emelin has been struggling as of late and could use some time off. 

Maybe Julien feels that Beaulieu can't take Emelin's minutes. Nathan played less than 14 mins against Edmonton - roughly what we'd see Davidson play given his ice time against Vancouver. Certainly Beaulieu, the young buck, could easily handle more time, but not likely the responsibilities that come with it. That said, Davidson will be playing against a helluva better team than the Canucks.

Tonight's game is gonna be the REAL test! If we can keep up with Chicago, then we're in decent shape. If we get blown out once again, I don't thikn we'll get very far in the playoffs!!

Let's not forget that before Toews and Kane, Chicago sucked really bad for a long period of time. Something that the Habs have avoided!

Guest Stogey24
29 minutes ago, mineral said:

Maybe Julien feels that Beaulieu can't take Emelin's minutes. Nathan played less than 14 mins against Edmonton - roughly what we'd see Davidson play given his ice time against Vancouver. Certainly Beaulieu, the young buck, could easily handle more time, but not likely the responsibilities that come with it. That said, Davidson will be playing against a helluva better team than the Canucks.

Have you watched Emelin play lately. Nightmare 

19 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Tonight's game is gonna be the REAL test! If we can keep up with Chicago, then we're in decent shape. If we get blown out once again, I don't thikn we'll get very far in the playoffs!!

Let's not forget that before Toews and Kane, Chicago sucked really bad for a long period of time. Something that the Habs have avoided!

I don't know.  First game back after a Western roadtrip is bad for many teams.  I don't know what to read into tonight. 

18 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Chicago's long Tanking explains why they have an elite core, but not why they've been able to continually replenish the supporting cast with quality cheap talent. 25's explanation that the superb core elevates the kids may be a big part of the story. Nonetheless they have done one hell of a job in drafting and player development, a significantly better job in those areas than MB's Habs, as far as I can tell.

Chicago also made bad picks while tanking.... Mikhail Yakubov (10), Pavel Vorobiev (11), Cam Barker (3rd), Jack Skille (7), Kyle Beach (11), 

thats a hell of a way to screw up 5 picks in the top 11 (3 in the top 10). 

1 hour ago, Habsfan said:

Are you serious? If win this one game then they are a contender... if lose this one game then they arnt? :rolleyes:

Anyways, shouldn't be a boring game and :gohabsgo:.

3 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Sorry, had to vent a bit there 

Julien has been here for what 10 games? And you say he hates Nate, I think that sample size is way too small. Let's just take Barber Bill at his word for now ok?

Should be a good game, The boys will rise to the challenge and scalp the Hawks.

:gohabsgo::clap::1gohabs:

8 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

They draft and develope and sign. They let complimentary players cough cough shaw, who wasn't too much money and term walk, so that they can pay the real talent. 

They let or they had to??

lets be honest here, Chicago was horrible for over 10 seasons after the departures of roenick, Belfour and chelios....

And it took a while to stock pile picks and assets.

drafting toews 3rd overall and finishing 4th last but managing to win the lottery and getting Kane really helped.

trading for guys like handzus and Ladd, and free agent signings like  Campbell, Panarin and Hossa to name a few have been able to take them to another level quicker, not to mention the willingness to get rid of Savard as coach and hire a stud like Quenville. So many factors come to play in the rise of what is Chicago today. All this while not mentioning the words Tallon and now Bowman.

gift wrapped superstars like a captains captain (toews) and the offensive dynamo (Kane) can transform a club instantly. Add a steady hand like seabrook 14th overall and steady G from Crawford and the core is substantial.

Crawford    Price

Seabrook    Weber* 

Keith.          Markov

Hossa.*      Pacioretty

Toews.       Galchenyuk

Kane.        Radulov*

*UFA 

keep in mind Duncan Keith and Crawford  at like 50th overall and the Big Dusty Buffy at like 250th (a late gem) will only make them that much better as 2nd round successes. we got subban at 45th and Gallagher at like a millionth so we've had our share...

The biggest difference between us, is their core has always been able to step up to the plate at the biggest of stages in the NHL and the jury is still out on our newly assembled and constantly revolving core

2 hours ago, habs rule said:

Julien has been here for what 10 games? And you say he hates Nate, I think that sample size is way too small. Let's just take Barber Bill at his word for now ok?

There has been a notable drop in Beaulieu's ice time since he took over.  Under Therrien, Beaulieu was a little over 20 minutes a night on average.  He's down to 17 under Julien.  It's justifiable in my opinion as Beaulieu hasn't played well in a while (nor has Emelin for that matter) but it's enough of a drop to be notable. 

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

For sure. It's been a long time since Montreal called up an impact player. MB has been especially unlucky. 

41 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There has been a notable drop in Beaulieu's ice time since he took over.  Under Therrien, Beaulieu was a little over 20 minutes a night on average.  He's down to 17 under Julien.  It's justifiable in my opinion as Beaulieu hasn't played well in a while (nor has Emelin for that matter) but it's enough of a drop to be notable. 

I don't think that means Barber Bill hates him.  With Le Genius you pretty much knew who he liked or didn't like.  Just look at DD traded right after coach fired. I just think we should give Barber Bill a little more time before we cast aspersions upon him.

i think Julien is just looking to get a proper look at davidson and as we know markov petry weber and surprisingly benn are staying in the line up. which leaves emelin and beau as the odd man out. with emelin already sitting, its beau's turn up. also, his TOI up under MT vs julien could actually be a reflection of him playing 20+ minutes during markov's extended injury absence. and now he's settled down to about 17+ min which is ideal for a 3rd pair (about 15% of available TOI)