Ottawa vs Montreal 7:30pm

Guest Stogey24

36 minutes ago, Commandant said:

In Fairness, the show was in Montreal for the November 13th game when we played in Chicago, and it was the same type of coverage that night (ie Montreal centric)

The whole idea of the show is to focus on hockey in the community its being broadcast from, so I don't have a huge issue with it being Ottawa centric.  They already had their one game focused on Montreal.  The Ottawa local hockey stories at intermission are fine. 

Now, Gary Galley on the other hand, that guy is a tool, and biased in game.  Don't like him. 

Yeah, I guess those are fair points I hadn't thought about. It's difficult for me because I find the entire 'Hometown Hockey' approach to be dreary, sentimental, and asinine, so the entire business turns me off.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, I guess those are fair points I hadn't thought about. It's difficult for me because I find the entire 'Hometown Hockey' approach to be dreary, sentimental, and asinine, so the entire business turns me off.

...its kinda embarrassing to watch...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

...its kinda embarrassing to watch...

It's always kinda funny when big business does sentimental. 

17 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

It's always kinda funny when big business does sentimental. 

I would like to know what their target demographic is for this junk. Their ideal viewer seems to be an older white male who lives in a small town and has a nostalgic turn of mind for an idealized childhood. In other words, this is a semi-obsolete demographic in today's heavily urban and multicultural Canada. I can't imagine a 25-year-old from a mixed cultural background living in suburban Vancouver or Toronto making heads or tails out of the sentimental hayseed nonsense they are spewing. Heck, I'm an older white male myself and I can't stomach it - maybe because I don't drive a pickup truck, think Tim Hortons is the epitome of fine coffee, and watch shows like When Calls the Heart.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I would like to know what their target demographic is for this junk. Their ideal viewer seems to be an older white male who lives in a small town and has a nostalgic turn of mind for an idealized childhood. In other words, this is a semi-obsolete demographic in today's heavily urban and multicultural Canada. I can't imagine a 25-year-old from a mixed cultural background living in suburban Vancouver or Toronto making heads or tails out of the sentimental nonsense they are spewing.

i think they are targeting much younger than 25 year olds...pre-teens?? whatever age i don't think anyone is really watching...its sandwich time for me...my daughter (who sometimes watches games with me and is 21) will go straight to her cell in between period lol

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

In HNIC's defence, it's Ottawa's 25th anniversary AND their late-season charge probably impressed them as a Cinderella story. This then would affect how they frame the matchup. 'Go Sens Go!!'

I also think - and I know I'm on risky ground here - the Habs just don't fit well into HN's 'small town Canadiana' bullsh*t in general. Small town Quebec is full of unilingual francophones, heavily nationalist and sovereigntist, who could not care less about their broadcasting personalities or the sentimental soft-lens patriotic pap Maclean et al. are selling. The culture and people around the Habs are also disproportionately francophone and not typically part of the Anglo-Canadian circles that dominate the show. Now none of this would matter if HN had decided to focus of professional sports broadcasting, period; but because their entire philosophy is predicated on sentimental, hayseed Canadian nationalism, the Habs slot awkwardly into their boosterish coverage. 

Hahahaha...as always beautifully expressed CC. :P

6 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

i think they are targeting much younger than 25 year olds...pre-teens?? whatever age i don't think anyone is really watching...its sandwich time for me...my daughter (who sometimes watches games with me and is 21) will go straight to her cell in between period lol

:lol: I'm envious, my daughter is 12 and could not give a whoop about hockey at all. My dreams of cheering for the Habs with my kid are all in smoking ruins.:(

I seriously doubt that little kids would get anything out of this CBC nonsense either. Certainly the 10-year-old I used to be would have wanted to see 'insider' footage of my hockey heroes (e.g., that PK Subban documentary from last summer - I would have LOVED that as a kid), or a careful Howie-Meeker-ish breakdown of key plays in the game. A bunch of old guys droning on about their Home Town? I'd have hit the table hockey game with my brother ASAP rather than suffer through that.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

:lol: I'm envious, my daughter is 12 and could not give a whoop about hockey at all. My dreams of cheering for the Habs with my kid are all in smoking ruins.

I seriously doubt that little kids would get anything out of this CBC nonsense either. Certainly the 10-year-old I used to be would have wanted to see 'insider' footage of my hockey heroes (e.g., that PK Subban documentary from last summer - I would have LOVED that as a kid), or a careful Howie-Meeker-ish breakdown of key plays in the game. A bunch of old guys droning on about their Home Town? I'd have hit the table hockey game with my brother ASAP rather than suffer through that.

ya...my daughter was into hockey (sidney crosby) when she was 10 maybe younger...had her in ringettes...fun. then she hit 12...bye bye...she's coming back slowly...there is hope CC

I have seen some young kids on the show getting interviewed for g-d knows what..Ron trying to be funny with the younger gen is really forced and no one gets his puns...its just odd

PS. my daughter watches NFL games with me...and that's a blast cause she's really into it.  She played one season of football when she was 12 and got hooked.  The only girl on the team.  She won the MVP that year. i still have her trophy *sigh She was the son i never had.hahaha

4 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

ya...my daughter was into hockey (sidney crosby) when she was 10 maybe younger...had her in ringettes...fun. then she hit 12...bye bye...she's coming back slowly...there is hope CC

I have seen some young kids on the show getting interviewed for g-d knows what..Ron trying to be funny with the younger gen is really forced and no one gets his puns...its just odd

They really missed their chance to reboot the whole show. Cherry and MacLean are going to have to retire or croak before we can all move on. What a shame that TSN failed to secure the contract, they would have done much better, I suspect.

TSN analysis was superior in every way. I miss nhl on TSN. I suspect sportsnet knows their target demographic. Market analysis is much easier with the Internet. I agree that hometown hockey is absolute trash though. 

• Upvote 1

Peter Puck or Hockey Showdown or Howie Meeker ... I enjoyed intermission as a kid. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, revvvrob said:

Peter Puck or Hockey Showdown or Howie Meeker ... I enjoyed intermission as a kid. 

Hockey Showdown was fun, yeah. In my mind, as a kid, those were epic battles that the players actually cared about...:lol: Here's a trip down memory lane for ya! Two great players and one guy whose number shouldn't be in the rafters, but was still pretty damned good.

3 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

I think that is why we ended back with Ron Maclean. I acutally like that George Stroumboulopoulas better than the Ron & Don shchtick.  But the ratings sucked so they brought back the guy people knew.  IMO the issue with Rogers is that other than Elliote friedman their analysts/panalists suck and it also didn't help that Canadian teams have sucked until this year.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

:lol: I'm envious, my daughter is 12 and could not give a whoop about hockey at all. My dreams of cheering for the Habs with my kid are all in smoking ruins.:(

I had gotten my now 7 year old son and 9 year old daughter to be habs fans despite been in redneck Calgary, mainly by showing them the youtube videos of Subban.  They'd watch some games to see the funny guy on youtube and actually started cheering on the habs.  They haven't watched a game this year.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I had gotten my now 7 year old son and 9 year old daughter to be habs fans despite been in redneck Calgary, mainly by showing them the youtube videos of Subban.  They'd watch some games to see the funny guy on youtube and actually started cheering on the habs.  They haven't watched a game this year.

Even the mighty PK was not enough to convert my daughter, who is simply not interested - although he did succeed in converting the 9-year-old son of a friend of mine to the Habs rather than the pathetic Canucks.

I agree with you about Snuffleupagus, and preferred last year's model by some distance to this tired old Ron and Don shtick. Either Sportsnet panicked and confused cause and effect (as you suggest), or the poor ratings allowed Ron/Don supporters within Sportsnet to get the upper hand and pull off a coup. It's a shame.

3 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

TSN analysis was superior in every way. I miss nhl on TSN. I suspect sportsnet knows their target demographic. Market analysis is much easier with the Internet. I agree that hometown hockey is absolute trash though. 

Apparently Mclean said he would not go back to hosting HNIC unless he could keep doing home town hockey. What an opportunity missed. :D Actually I don't watch Don and Ron  anymore.

With centreice I have watched some of some Bruins games...with everyone's favourite Jack Edwards calling game. And cant say he is near as irritating as the Toronto crews and also is surprisingly quick to call out Bruins players for cheap shot hits or diving.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's why I made sure I had three kids. 

And thankfully my first two (3rd is merely 2mths old) let all the boston fans in CT know they hate the bruins..

such a a proud dad sometimes!!

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I would like to know what their target demographic is for this junk. Their ideal viewer seems to be an older white male who lives in a small town and has a nostalgic turn of mind for an idealized childhood. In other words, this is a semi-obsolete demographic in today's heavily urban and multicultural Canada. I can't imagine a 25-year-old from a mixed cultural background living in suburban Vancouver or Toronto making heads or tails out of the sentimental hayseed nonsense they are spewing. Heck, I'm an older white male myself and I can't stomach it - maybe because I don't drive a pickup truck, think Tim Hortons is the epitome of fine coffee, and watch shows like When Calls the Heart.

Hahahaha .. God knows. Ha! 

41 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

And thankfully my first two (3rd is merely 2mths old) let all the boston fans in CT know they hate the bruins..

Excellent! 

1 hour ago, Helmethead said:

My dad is a Bruins fan. 

He says my fandom is his greatest failing as a parent. Sorry dad, but I loved Saint Patrick more than you. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

My dad is a Bruins fan. 

He says my fandom is his greatest failing as a parent. Sorry dad, but I loved Saint Patrick more than you. 

My first 2 kids have adopted the Habs as they should have. It did require me to move to Ohio from Toronto to ensure this - but so worth it. 

My failing is my 3rd child who has become a Ducks fan. 

For shame. I know. 

I was playing for a team that wore Ducks jerseys and found one that would fit him as a 1 year old. For cryin out loud he never forgot the d*mn jersey and has had a place in his heart for them ever since. I rue the day I let my 1yr old look cute in that jersey. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

My dad is a Bruins fan. 

Owwww, dat's gotta hoit!!

• Upvote 1