Detroit vs Montreal 7:30pm

Guest Stogey24

Guest Stogey24
8 hours ago, Commandant said:

The three forwards acquired at the deadline, combined.... 17 GP, 0 goals, 1 assist.

Thanks Marc, that was the extra scoring we needed. 

Man oh man. 

11 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Jeff Petry 4th in the league in turn overs. Thats telling you something when a player like Petry has the many turn overs. 

Just for shits, Weber is 17th and Subban in now 66th. That's for you Don. 

As i showed when subban was traded, turnovers are a bullshit stat.  Montreal has 2.5x as many turnovers at home vs on the road.  The bell centre stats guy counts more things as turnovers than other teams do so montreal d are always amongst the league leaders.

Subban dropping out of the top 10 was easily predictable... and petry beong in the top 10 is a meaningless number.

12 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Just for shits, Weber is 17th and Subban in now 66th. That's for you Don. 

(Ellis 33, Josi 32, Subban 51 in fewer games, so that ex-hab still is gaff prone, but as a 2nd pairing d he likely dosent carry puck as much anymore:D)

11 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Here's the thing though...you look at a team like Pittsburgh...and they aren't using the excuses to play a crap game.  A slew of injuries...comfortably in a playoff spot, but they keep on going out there and executing and winning.  This time of year, there shouldn't be 'letdown' games against teams you should be able to beat.

Like Canucks beating Blackhawks yesterday? Yes shouldn't ever happen!

13 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

The silver lining is that if you decide to throw rotten eggs at them as they skate past, you won't have to lead them as much. Nice and slow. Perfect for egging. 

One thing that keeps drawing me back to you guys on this site is comments like this BCHabnut. 

You just don't get this level of insight on other boards. Period. 

I personally was ..call it coincidence... wondering whether free range or regular domestic eggs were appropriate at home games. A leading question indeed. But whither leadest it. Consider...

I mean.. the regular $2.99 domestic white egg just feels so right.. I'm sure all would agree.. but as Dr Jordan Peterson at U of T asks... is my concern about subtly imposing "white privilege" as neo-marxist postmodernists in academe insist, reflective of the sublime import of layered reality or rather an absurd "alienation-victim" rubric, a poseur '70's Sartrean faux intellectualism.

I know you guys are asking the same question. How could you not?   

And .. that we should  choose the quintessentially iconic egg...the oeuf in our oeuvre of white male entitlement..... can this be read as anything other than a microaggressive  victimization in the hyperrealistic idiom of identity politics? 

Leading questions indeed. 

Apologies to any snowflakes who found their stillness disturbed by the turbulence of this Neitzchean shelled missive of my will to power as we march towards the Hegelian eschaton. Despite our having lost 1-0. 

Where else could I find minds and insights like you guys... God bless y'all.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

As i showed when subban was traded, turnovers are a bullshit stat.  Montreal has 2.5x as many turnovers at home vs on the road.  The bell centre stats guy counts more things as turnovers than other teams do so montreal d are always amongst the league leaders.

Subban dropping out of the top 10 was easily predictable... and petry beong in the top 10 is a meaningless number.

Maybe the Bell centre stats guy needs a good shake.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

12 points in 15 games since Julien took over. 

Galchenyuk is terrible guys, terrible. 

If he produces on the wing position, I'm fine with it, but as you show, he does produce at centre. I'm not sure why everyone wants him to Be Toews when he is obviously more of a Carter type player. 

7 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

If he produces on the wing position, I'm fine with it, but as you show, he does produce at centre. I'm not sure why everyone wants him to Be Toews when he is obviously more of a Carter type player. 

And it brings back the old MoLG contention that Galchenyuk at center exposes their LW depth.

This team has a desperate need for scoring C, and we're actually having an argument about Galchenyuk's suitability for the role? :wacko:

There comes a point where you have to accept what a player is rather than beating your head against the wall that he's not something more than that. So his defensive play is sketchy? Keep working with him on it, but accept that he may never be Toews, just like we should have accepted that PK Subban would never be an emotionless robot. I have a feeling we are punishing Galchenyuk for the fact that we don't have an adequate #2 C who plays more of an all-around game to help compensate for Galy's weaknesses. Otherwise put, if we had the Pleks of 2015 I doubt that this would seem like such a big deal. 

I don't think he needs to be moved to the wing but I am saddened to see him making the same beer league defensive mistakes he made at the beginning of the year. Could he still be hurt or maybe even a mental safeguard of his knee? I hurt my knee last year in the gym and it's getting better but even now I have a caustious reaction to not put pressure on my knee so it could be the same thing. Might be the reason he flopped to the ice after he got deked. 

I don't think anyone is expecting him to be Toews but at least start showing signs of improving especially right before the playoffs where we will need him to be a little more responsible. His injury might be playing a big role in that and maybe the personal trainers around him should work with him on that.

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This team has a desperate need for scoring C, and we're actually having an argument about Galchenyuk's suitability for the role? :wacko:

There comes a point where you have to accept what a player is rather than beating your head against the wall that he's not something more than that. So his defensive play is sketchy? Keep working with him on it, but accept that he may never be Toews, just like we should have accepted that PK Subban would never be an emotionless robot. I have a feeling we are punishing Galchenyuk for the fact that we don't have an adequate #2 C who plays more of an all-around game to help compensate for Galy's weaknesses. Otherwise put, if we had the Pleks of 2015 I doubt that this would seem like such a big deal. 

oh please..Geezus CC, no one is comparing #27 to Toews (but you)...and that's an insult to Toews. Also, in an effort to elevate your favorite center, you compared Chucky to Carter (in a previous post)...sorry CC - i truly respect your insights but I just don't see it.  I mean, that's not even close.. 

oh and sure, let's blame Plex for Galchenyuk's lack of vision, poor defense, and overall dismal performance at center,.  Galchenyuk is what he is... a Phil Kessel type player..which is perfectly OK. This kid can, and will, score 30+ goals a year easy ---- but only if we can get a bonafide #1 C and put him on the wing.  You don't like the Phil Kessel comparison?  Ok then, how about comparing him to the Squid?  or dare i say it...a watered down Ovenchkin?   He needs a set-up man...

I salivate at the thought of having Pax and Chucky centered by a Henrik Zetterberg-type center.   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

oh please..Geezus CC, no one is comparing #27 to Toews (but you)...and that's an insult to Toews. Also, in an effort to elevate your favorite center, you compared Chucky to Carter (in a previous post)...sorry CC - i truly respect your insights but I just don't see it.  I mean, that's not even close.. 

oh and sure, let's blame Plex for Galchenyuk's lack of vision, poor defense, and overall dismal performance at center,.  Galchenyuk is what he is... a Phil Kessel type player..which is perfectly OK. This kid can, and will, score 30+ goals a year easy ---- but only if we can get a bonafide #1 C and put him on the wing.  You don't like the Phil Kessel comparison?  Ok then, how about comparing him to the Squid?  or dare i say it...a watered down Ovenchkin?   He needs a set-up man...

I salivate at the thought of having Pax and Chucky centered by a Henrik Zetterberg-type center.   

I don't think it was me who made the Carter comparison, BTW.

As for 'my favourite centre,' give me a break. He is the ONLY thing resembling a viable top-6 C anywhere close to this organization. My point was not to pile onto the washed-up Plekanec, just to point out that if we had two legitimate top-6 C, Chucky's weaknesses would not trouble us as much.

Would he be better as wing, given an elite C? Maybe. Once the Habs acquire this magical C, for whom we have been searching since about 1997, we can have that discussion. Until then, Chucky should be a top-6 C on this team.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't think it was me who made the Carter comparison, BTW.

As for 'my favourite centre,' give me a break. He is the ONLY thing resembling a viable top-6 C anywhere close to this organization. My point was not to pile onto the washed-up Plekanec, just to point out that if we had two legitimate top-6 C, Chucky's weaknesses would not trouble us as much.

Would he be better as wing, given an elite C? Maybe. Once the Habs acquire this magical C, for whom we have been searching since about 1997, we can have that discussion. Until then, Chucky should be a top-6 C on this team.

You forgot to include another irrelevant  #76 reference in this post? Your slipping.:B)

I guess you and Julien have different opinion on #27 playing wing.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/galchenyuk-prepared-for-move-to-wing~1083709

2 minutes ago, DON said:

You forgot to include another irrelevant  #76 reference in this post? Your slipping.:B)

I guess you and Julien have different opinion on #27 playing wing.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/galchenyuk-prepared-for-move-to-wing~1083709

FINALLY...some sanity...and yes i repeat - he has no vision as a C.  This is not a "new issue".  

Just now, THE Bobby Orr said:

FINALLY...some sanity...and yes i repeat - he has no vision as a C.  This is not a "new issue".  

So our #1 C is Danault (11 G, 35 pts) and our #2 is Pleks (8 G, 25 pts).

Enjoy the Cup parade - somewhere else than Montreal, that is

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

So our #1 C is Danault (11 G, 35 pts) and our #2 is Pleks (8 G, 25 pts).

Enjoy the Cup parade - somewhere else than Montreal, that is

are you saying we win the cup with Chucky as #1 C?????  ok whatever.  let's stop this discussion 

I just don't get why playing wing is seen as a demotion or something? Pacioretty and Radulov don't play centre and everyone is good with that. Why do we have to force a square peg in a round hole?

1 minute ago, DON said:

I just don't get why playing wing is seen as a demotion or something? Pacioretty and Radulov don't play centre and everyone is good with that. Why do we have to force a square peg in a round hole?

It might be because we are pretty shallow at centre and we were hoping that Chucky could be that guy for us. Looks like we are going to try something new

• Upvote 1