Detroit vs Montreal 7:30pm

Guest Stogey24

Guest Stogey24
21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't think being agitating hurts us, any more than I think adding size and toughness hurts us. These are perfectly fine tweaks in themselves. But as you and Commandant rightly say, they don't address the structural weaknesses of this team: the lack of a #2 or #1a C, a lack of puck-moving defencemen - two weaknesses which go a long way to explaining our offensive woes - and a general weakness at LD. To win the Cup this team needs every single thing to go right; which is why it's still exactly where it was in 2014, i.e., the outer rather than inner circle of contenders. Looking at the big picture, the Bergevin era has basically been treading water since 2013-14.

Yup, mediocrity 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Carolina game pre-game trivia

Beaulieu sits again, big gaff must of pissed off coaches?

http://thereuschblog.com/?p=43987

Is it time to accept that Beaulieu is never going to become the top-4 puck mover we hoped he'd become? Or is three seasons of NHL play at age 24 still not enough to make that determination?

I know there are a lot of ppl here who have a ____-on for Chucky.  And i get it...and i also get the subtle hate that's directed to THE Bobby Orr....but this kid is a poster child for how an organization potentially effed-up a young player.  He should have been playing C from the get go - 4 years ago. Instead MT and MB decided it was better  a) flip-flopping him from W to C, b) playing him with players he had no business playing with, c) giving him top line responsibilities, and then moving him down to 3rd line...d) on and on.  Imagine if they did that to Max when he first came in?  Or Gally? Thank God this kid has very good skills and an obvious belief in himself...I like him a lot...just not as a #1 C.    

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Is it time to accept that Beaulieu is never going to become the top-4 puck mover we hoped he'd become? Or is three seasons of NHL play at age 24 still not enough to make that determination?

I gave up on that a while ago.  He's too inconsistent to really be relied upon long-term.  He's a 4/5 on average but even if he plays in a #4 role, I don't think he'll have the impact many were expecting (or hoping for) just a couple of years ago.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

I know there are a lot of ppl here who have a ____-on for Chucky.  And i get it...and i also get the subtle hate that's directed to THE Bobby Orr....but this kid is a poster child for how an organization potentially effed-up a young player.  He should have been playing C from the get go - 4 years ago. Instead MT and MB decided it was better  a) flip-flopping him from W to C, b) playing him with players he had no business playing with, c) giving him top line responsibilities, and then moving him down to 3rd line...d) on and on.  Imagine if they did that to Max when he first came in?  Or Gally? Thank God this kid has very good skills and an obvious belief in himself...I like him a lot...just not as a #1 C.    

He needs to play centre for at LEAST a FULL year, before we give up on him as a centre.  We need to live with the mistakes we should have been living with three years ago.   And yes that was another one of le genius's stupid gifts that is hurting us even when his fat ass is gone.

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth, Knuckles Nilan has been extremely vocal in claiming that Galchenyuk ASKED to play wing when he first arrived and explicitly did not want to play C. So it may not be entirely Therrien's fault that he didn't.

40 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

For what it's worth, Knuckles Nilan has been extremely vocal in claiming that Galchenyuk ASKED to play wing when he first arrived and explicitly did not want to play C. So it may not be entirely Therrien's fault that he didn't.

Ya i know...Nilan makes #27 out to be a bit of a diva ("but coach its too HARD to play center") which I don't think he is.  I think its obvious Nilan is not a fan of Chucky's...he has also mentioned #27's problems with face-offs, fly-byes, bad practice habits, etc...

12 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He needs to play centre for at LEAST a FULL year, before we give up on him as a centre.  We need to live with the mistakes we should have been living with three years ago.   And yes that was another one of le genius's stupid gifts that is hurting us even when his fat ass is gone.

Sure, but not as our #1C...    MB needs to get a top line center 

He just turned 23 a couple minutes ago, and hasn't had a full season at C. I like him at C as well. Like Joe pointed out, From left wing, how easy is it for him to transition to the right circle for the one timer?

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

He just turned 23 a couple minutes ago, and hasn't had a full season at C. I like him at C as well. Like Joe pointed out, From left wing, how easy is it for him to transition to the right circle for the one timer?

Why does he have to transition to his off-side to score?

2 hours ago, DON said:

Why does he have to transition to his off-side to score?

As a left hand shot, his one-timer from the right face-off circle is deadly. 

Is it the only way he can score? No... but its his best asset and his best opportunity to wrack up goals... just like Kucherov and Ovechkin and Stamkos all do from their off wing. 

4 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

Sure, but not as our #1C...    MB needs to get a top line center 

Fine. But UNTIL THEN Galchenyuk is the only C in the entire organization who can produce offence from that position, and therefore he should probably play at that position.

• Upvote 1

A guy who scores at the pace Galchenyuk scores at, is a #1 Centre... the numbers don't lie. 

They need a quality 50-60 point 2 way guy to pair with him, but there is nothing wrong with Galchenyuk in the number 1 slot. 

On 23/03/2017 at 6:29 PM, dlbalr said:

I gave up on that a while ago.  He's too inconsistent to really be relied upon long-term.  He's a 4/5 on average but even if he plays in a #4 role, I don't think he'll have the impact many were expecting (or hoping for) just a couple of years ago.

He should stop thinking he is Letang or Karlson because he is not. He has some great abilities though. Not the whole package but he should develop his play around his strengths.

23 minutes ago, sakiqc said:

He should stop thinking he is Letang or Karlson because he is not. He has some great abilities though. Not the whole package but he should develop his play around his strengths.

I still have to believe that Beaulieu will eventually become a top 4 defenseman in his career. He has a higher skill set when compared to a lot of prospects we've had who will make it as bottom pairing players out there (Tinordi, Pateryn etc.) The argument may be more about what he has between the ears but as stated he's only 24 and it would only be an assumption to conclude he couldn't progress mentally. In my opinion he'll be a top 4 at worst but whether or not it's while he's with the Habs is another question. 

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Even if he's third pair, he needs to be used on the powerplay.  

I agree with that. For God's sake, he's one of the only D-men who can both move the puck and make creative offensive plays. (I think he is more dynamic at the latter than Petry, who can move the puck but doesn't show much pizazz once he crosses the blueline). Those virtues, at least, suggest a guy who should be on the PP.

In terms of Galchenyuk, I would have no problem with (say) him and Duschene as our 1-2 down the middle, and it wouldn't matter to me which guy is classified as the "#1 C." But what I find baffling is people who seem to have a problem with Galy being used as a C right now, on a team that has absolutely zero legitimate top-6 C other than him. Even if we go out and get Joe Thornton, moving Galy to the wing would leave us with Danault or Shaw as the #2 guy - a bit of a joke, really. So I just can't see the point of banging our heads against the wall crying that Galchenyuk is "not a centre" when there is basically no realistic scenario where moving him to wing does NOT leave a sizeable organizational hole at C.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Fine. But UNTIL THEN Galchenyuk is the only C in the entire organization who can produce offence from that position, and therefore he should probably play at that position.

You don't think 1 game on the wing and 1 goal is a sign that the kid will get his goals no matter where he plays, put Pacioretty at centre and no doubt he will score as a centre.

Not sure why 30g from the wing is so different than 30 from centre?

11 hours ago, DON said:

You don't think 1 game on the wing and 1 goal is a sign that the kid will get his goals no matter where he plays, put Pacioretty at centre and no doubt he will score as a centre.

Not sure why 30g from the wing is so different than 30 from centre?

we all agree on one thing the kid can score.

The rumours are already starting re. Galchenyuk being traded this summer.   That would be a mistake...but hey, if PK can be traded anything is possible 

12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree with that. For God's sake, he's one of the only D-men who can both move the puck and make creative offensive plays. (I think he is more dynamic at the latter than Petry, who can move the puck but doesn't show much pizazz once he crosses the blueline). Those virtues, at least, suggest a guy who should be on the PP.

In terms of Galchenyuk, I would have no problem with (say) him and Duschene as our 1-2 down the middle, and it wouldn't matter to me which guy is classified as the "#1 C." But what I find baffling is people who seem to have a problem with Galy being used as a C right now, on a team that has absolutely zero legitimate top-6 C other than him. Even if we go out and get Joe Thornton, moving Galy to the wing would leave us with Danault or Shaw as the #2 guy - a bit of a joke, really. So I just can't see the point of banging our heads against the wall crying that Galchenyuk is "not a centre" when there is basically no realistic scenario where moving him to wing does NOT leave a sizeable organizational hole at C.

the "people" you are referring to is Claude Julien and Kirk Muller (not to mention MB)