Ottawa vs Montreal 7:00pm

Guest Stogey24

Guest Stogey24
7 hours ago, Commandant said:

Ummmm.... I was just gonna make more posts in GDTs after wins.... 

The win has to be in regulation and by atleast 2 goals

20 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

this is funny...aaah no.  that's not how it works. An entire team does not 'subconsciously" decide not to play against  a lesser opponent.  You're clutching at straws brother.  

IMO, i think the lines are starting to gel...Plex is looking better, Shaw is playing much better than he did earlier in the season (he seems to be a better player under CJ), the top line is better with Danault at C (sad but true)...hopefully the lines continue to gel and solidify come playoff time..

How are you drawing this conclusion? Where are the goals from the 1st line since Danault moved to 1C? If you are using an eye test, I would say that Radulov is playing with more ferocity than he was when he was sick and injured. I am not seeing the production yet, so I don't know if I would throw out a blanket statement about how much better they are.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

How are you drawing this conclusion? Where are the goals from the 1st line since Danault moved to 1C? If you are using an eye test, I would say that Radulov is playing with more ferocity than he was when he was sick and injured. I am not seeing the production yet, so I don't know if I would throw out a blanket statement about how much better they are.

Couldn't get any worse, so better is likely safe to say.

58 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Because he hates galchenyuk at centre.  Thats the only evidence he needs to prove danault is better.

Doesnt matter that the numbers overwhelmingly support that radulov scores more playing with Chuck than playing apart

11 hours ago, KoRP said:

One thing I know is that this team is as good as it's been in a playoff style game, as it's been in a long, long time. Elite goalie, great first D pairing, arguably a bit more talent up front(Radulov, Lehkonen, but minus Plek), speed, some grit, size and depth at forward and defense, and last but not least, a decent coach, who is a proven winner.

Oh, another thing I know is, optimism isn't all that bad...in fact, it's a nice change from the constant degradation trip on the forum.

Elite goalie, elite goalie, elite goalie, I keep saying it and I get hopeful ...I believe we have a shot, at least better than in recent memory.

I'm just gonna ignore this thread's homoerotic turn ;) and say that I actually agree with you that this team has a definite 'playoff ready' cast to it, as I've mentioned in other posts, and been lambasted for saying. I disagree with you on some particulars, but agree that the grit will help (especially Benn, whom I think very highly of, and really believe is the kind of role player you win with); most of all , this core is as battle-tested as it's ever gonna get. They've been through the growing pains: big wins (2014 vs Boston), heartbreaking losses (2013 vs Boston), a semi-finals appearance, and disastrous debacle of a season, etc., etc.. I've always believed that that kind of accumulated experience makes a huge difference. And, of course, Price is the great X-factor. If he locks in, and we stay healthy, and everyone gets hot at the right time, well... 

But that's what it means to have an 'outside chance.' Everything has to go right, as it did for the Muller team in '93, although that team was more of a genuine contender than this one. One injury to our top-4 D or our top-6 FW unit, and it's game over. And even at full health, the team still has very striking structural weaknesses at C and on LD. True contenders generally have weaknesses, but not of that glaring variety. Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago and San Jose - Minnesota is a tougher case given their recent meltdown - would be regarded as having had failed seasons if they do not win the Cup. If the Habs crap out in the second round, nobody will be surprised or regard it as 'failed season' for this group (except for the players themselves and grumpy Habs fans). That's the difference between a top-tier and second-tier contender.

4 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

saying that the top line is better with Danault at C is not heaping praise on Danault ...and "measuring" how much better they are is not easy to explain.  Commandant goes by the numbers which show Chucky has better stats than Danault. Having said that, Danault at C makes that line better because they chase the puck less with him at center which gives them more offensive zone time.  I have said many times that i don't think Danault is a #1C.   

And i don't 'hate' #27 at all.  I am sure he will be a very good C one day.  He is certainly a top 6 forward in my mind.

Bottom line gentlemen and gentle ladies, I believe i want what ultimately everyone in this forum wants; to win a cup.  

It kind of weirds' me out (a bit) that some posters here get upset if a few ppl (or is it only me) disagrees on where a player should play.  Its especially weird since the current (and former) coach seems to be unsure about where Galchenyuk should play as well.  

I have also said ad-nauseum that i don't blame #27 for any of this. On the contrary I give him credit...I think he was f-ed by MT and MB.  

But honestly, i could care less if he plays on the wing or at C.  Heck play him on defence if that brings us a cup.  

I'm a big believer in possession.  But I'm also a big believer that if you are the first line, you can have all the possession in the world, but it don't mean a thing if you don't score goals.   Possession is great on the third and fourth lines when you want them to play some defence, but I'll take Galchenyuk's possession (which is still a net positive by the way) and points, over Danault's slightly higher possession but the team not scoring. 

The difference in possession in no way makes up for the difference in scoring chances (Chucky produces more), quality shots (Chucky has more), expected goals for (Chucky has more) and Actual goals for (Chucky has more). 

54 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

Bottom line gentlemen and gentle ladies, I believe i want what ultimately everyone in this forum wants; to win a cup.  

It kind of weirds' me out (a bit) that some posters here get upset if a few ppl (or is it only me) disagrees on where a player should play.  Its especially weird since the current (and former) coach seems to be unsure about where Galchenyuk should play as well.  

I have also said ad-nauseum that i don't blame #27 for any of this. On the contrary I give him credit...I think he was f-ed by MT and MB.  

But honestly, i could care less if he plays on the wing or at C.  Heck play him on defence if that brings us a cup.  

How exactly do you think he was f'ed by Therrien and Bergevin?

1 hour ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

I'm not sure why you think people are upset? Disagreeing with a point, or countering an opinion with some facts, does not necessarily equate to being upset. Chucky and Rad both produce better when Chucky is on the first line. I'm not upset, I just disagree.

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I'm not sure why you think people are upset? Disagreeing with a point, or countering an opinion with some facts, does not necessarily equate to being upset. Chucky and Rad both produce better when Chucky is on the first line. I'm not upset, I just disagree.

"I'm just gonna ignore this thread's homoerotic turn ;)"

Upset may be wrong word, how bout really strange crap like this? Not sure what that even remotely refers to?

7 minutes ago, DON said:

"I'm just gonna ignore this thread's homoerotic turn ;)"

Upset may be wrong word, how bout really strange crap like this? Not sure what that even remotely refers to?

Just read back a few posts, good sir.

On 3/26/2017 at 2:42 PM, Commandant said:

Andrighetto was never going to be a solution for us.  Not on a team with byron and gallagher and with Hudon in the pipeline.  That he's scoring meaningless goals for Colorado isn't proving he would have done anything here. 

I think he's dime a dozen and didn't care for him in Montreal with how easy he was to knock off the puck but I feel like Therrien gave him zero shot this season, same to Carr. Both guys were wasted for various reasons. Maybe they just sucked but it just feels like this team does little to help develop young players. They either have it or they are abandoned.

Guest Stogey24
40 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I think he's dime a dozen and didn't care for him in Montreal with how easy he was to knock off the puck but I feel like Therrien gave him zero shot this season, same to Carr. Both guys were wasted for various reasons. Maybe they just sucked but it just feels like this team does little to help develop young players. They either have it or they are abandoned.

This is what happens when you draft a redundancy. Too many small players. 

50 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I hear you, but Carr was excellent in 2015-16 and pretty much useless this year. So I'd speculate that the issue was with him, not with Therrien.

If Ghetto really does emerge as an effective top-6 player, then the trade is a pretty big debacle, considering how much we need offensive talent. But I'd wait and see before pulling the alarm.

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

This is what happens when you draft a redundancy. Too many small players. 

He was a third round draft pick in 2013. Habs drafting since 2008 has been ugly. I think he's one of the 5 best Habs draft picks since 2010.

1. Alex Galchenyuk

2. Brendan Gallagher

3. Nathan Beaulieu

4. Artturi Lehkonen

5. Sven Andrighetto

Too many small players? Nah, not enough good draft selections. Which the blame either goes to Timmins or the blame goes to the team player development. Or both.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I hear you, but Carr was excellent in 2015-16 and pretty much useless this year. So I'd speculate that the issue was with him, not with Therrien.

If Ghetto really does emerge as an effective top-6 player, then the trade is a pretty big debacle, considering how much we need offensive talent. But I'd wait and see before pulling the alarm.

He's shooting 29% since the trade. 

This smells exactly like Devante Smith Pelly last year.  Everyone freaking out after the trade, due to an unsustainable hot streak, and then not a peep afterwards. 

What is DSP doing now?  Nothing. 

42 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He's shooting 29% since the trade. 

This smells exactly like Devante Smith Pelly last year.  Everyone freaking out after the trade, due to an unsustainable hot streak, and then not a peep afterwards. 

What is DSP doing now?  Nothing. 

Good call. Shooting percentage is an overlooked stat quite often.