Dallas vs Montreal 730pm

Guest Stogey24

2 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I sure hope Markov finishes his career on this team.

Oh ya... what a wonderful Montreal Canadien. :D

3 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

the next number to be retired will be Markov's 

It will be interesting to see if they retire a non cup player. Leafs retired Wendell Clark didn't they? Not sure why. Koivu or Marky could be candidates once day but I doubt it.  I'd say Price will be the next. 

6 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

It will be interesting to see if they retire a non cup player. Leafs retired Wendell Clark didn't they? Not sure why. Koivu or Marky could be candidates once day but I doubt it.  I'd say Price will be the next. 

In Montreal, you need a cup.  We aren't the leafs, although we are around half way to their years of futility.

price, Markov and koivu have been are best players, but without a cup, as far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't feel to retire their numbers.  They'd be out of place with the other numbers in n the rafters.  Remember, other teams also have banners for their divisional wins.  In Montreal it's only cup banners.  That's the way it should be.

The 'good' Petry & Emelin showed up to play and led team in icetime. Little Finn with another solid game, 4 shots and great to see he and Gallagher score. Hope Pacioretty just was winded and not hurt.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

In Montreal, you need a cup.  We aren't the leafs, although we are around half way to their years of futility.

price, Markov and koivu have been are best players, but without a cup, as far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't feel to retire their numbers.  They'd be out of place with the other numbers in n the rafters.  Remember, other teams also have banners for their divisional wins.  In Montreal it's only cup banners.  That's the way it should be.

I agree that cups is the standard. 

That standard would keep the likes of Koivu and Markov out of the circle of retired numbers. 

BUT - if Price continues a few more years on his current trajectory (consistent Vezina contender with another win of the trophy, starter for Team Canada) then I think his number goes up Cup or no Cup. 

29 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

I agree that cups is the standard. 

That standard would keep the likes of Koivu and Markov out of the circle of retired numbers. 

BUT - if Price continues a few more years on his current trajectory (consistent Vezina contender with another win of the trophy, starter for Team Canada) then I think his number goes up Cup or no Cup. 

This.

Markov is a great Montreal Canadien, and so was Koivu. But they are not all-time Great Players, the kind that give you goosebumps when your hear their names; they're not, in short, the kind of legendary figure that gets their number retired in Montreal. (By contrast, there has been serious talk in Van of retiring Burrows's number - :lol:)

But Carey Price is another story. Just as revvvrob says, if he continues on his trajectory as the dominant goalie of his time, then he will go down as one of those all-time greats at his position, a true Legend. I don't see how you can deny a bona fide great like that a jersey retirement just because he never received a sufficiently strong supporting cast. #31 should go in the rafters IF Price puts in several more seasons at this level.

48 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But Carey Price is another story. Just as revvvrob says, if he continues on his trajectory as the dominant goalie of his time, then he will go down as one of those all-time greats at his position, a true Legend. I don't see how you can deny a bona fide great like that a jersey retirement just because he never received a sufficiently strong supporting cast. #31 should go in the rafters IF Price puts in several more seasons at this level.

We gotta stop retiring goalies' numbers.  What # future goalies are gonna wear ???  :D

7 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

We gotta stop retiring goalies' numbers.  What # future goalies are gonna wear ???  :D

Yeah, it *is* kind of amazing how the Habs always manage to come up with goaltending - whethet it's all-time greats like Roy or playoff miracles like Penney or Halak. :thumbs_up:

it would be a shame if they don't retire Markov's #.  I honestly believe the "cup winner" standard is less relevant today; still important, just less so.  The entire hockey world has changed so much in the last 10-20 years..and when i say world..i mean world.  As a result of all the changes, , it is harder to win Cups today; which is a good thing. 

PS.  and Markov being the first Russian-born Hab would make it kinda cool too lol ...