What kind of a player is Beaulieu?

Meller93

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, DON said:

A bit, yes, but Beaulieu is much more gritty and will defend his teammates at least.

Lol. Christ. 

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Bealieu did show the upside he has last night at least. It's there if he can put it together

Don't think the former was ever in question, but as to the latter bit, whether can he do it consistently and improve defensively are still the huge ?? And my guess is No, he wont put it all together.

But, obviously just my opinion and Mr. Stogey24 seems to strongly disagree, which is fine and he could be correct...these playoffs may be huge for him to show what he can do in crunch time and with new contract upcoming also.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, DON said:

Don't think the former was ever in question, but as to the latter bit, whether can he do it consistently and improve defensively are still the huge ?? And my guess is No, he wont put it all together.

But, obviously just my opinion and Mr. Stogey24 seems to strongly disagree, which is fine and he could be correct...these playoffs may be huge for him to show what he can do in crunch time and with new contract upcoming also.

That kid has real talent, I really hope he can get his head out of his a$$ and play like last night all the time. He has always been kind of a head case, right back to the Nate the great thingy. Maybe Barber Bill can get him under control, cross your fingers and your toes.:pray:

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised to see so much hate for Beaulieu!!  True, the kid has made alot of mistakes, but there's no denying that he has an offensive upside.  Once again, I think too many people seem to forget that defensemen take longer to develop compared to forwards. Generally speaking, D-men start getting good when they're about 26-27 years old. Beaulieu is 24. I'm willing to bet that by the time he's 26(two seasons from now) Beaulieu will have improved his game alot. Will he still make mistakes? Absolutely! But I think there will be less mistakes and more games like he had last night. We just need to be patient with him!

I believe that Nate will become a solid top 4 with offensive upside in the NHL.  I just hope the Habs are patient enough and provide him enough opportunity. Defense is much more easily learned than offence.

13 hours ago, Habsfan said:

I'm surprised to see so much hate for Beaulieu!!  True, the kid has made alot of mistakes, but there's no denying that he has an offensive upside.  Once again, I think too many people seem to forget that defensemen take longer to develop compared to forwards. Generally speaking, D-men start getting good when they're about 26-27 years old. Beaulieu is 24. I'm willing to bet that by the time he's 26(two seasons from now) Beaulieu will have improved his game alot. Will he still make mistakes? Absolutely! But I think there will be less mistakes and more games like he had last night. We just need to be patient with him!

I have no Hate for him at all, I just want him to give his best effort every nite. Show us some dedication to his craft.

The kid's offensive numbers are climbing every season. He might hit 30 points this year. 

Where he needs to be to earn his keep is about 40+.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him.  But if the right offer was made, he'd be gone.

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

The kid's offensive numbers are climbing every season. He might hit 30 points this year. 

Where he needs to be to earn his keep is about 40+.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him.  But if the right offer was made, he'd be gone.

Where did you come up with the idea that he "needs" hit 40+ points?

11 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Where did you come up with the idea that he "needs" hit 40+ points?

Not to speak for Jeff, but I suggested earlier in the thread that he needs to hit about 35-40 points in order for his offensive dynamism to override his defensive slips. One can always quibble with the specific numbers chosen, but there clearly does have to be a level of offensive production below which a player can't earn his keep IF he is not defensively impeccable. It's about strengths outweighing weaknesses. As this thread shows, it's not clear right now that Nate's strengths sufficiently outweigh his weaknesses. But if he can bump his offensive numbers up a notch, it'll become easier to make the argument that they do.

If they don't give him PP time, he'll never hit those numbers. 

If they do give him the time, he certainly can.  He's been very good on the PP this year. 

I've come around on just accepting what he is... a borderline 4/5 defenceman who will provide transition and offence (and some defensive miscues).  Thats not a bad thing as long as you don't over pay him. He might become a true #4 with time, but thats probably his ceiling. 

That also means if someone offers the moon for him, I'd include him in the trade. 

Look how much people nitpicked and bitched about Subban's rare defensive lapses despite 50-60 points per season. 

Nate has a few more lapses than Subban did. Of course, people who didn't like Subban's style of play were crazy, but that's not the point.

Nate doesn't have Subban's offensive upside, and has a greater defensive downside. He needs to continue improving those scoresheet numbers if he is going to carry his weight.