Habs Playoff Preparations Begin

Commandant

After officially clinching a playoff spot, the Montreal Canadiens have the next five games to prepare for the post-season. In that time the Habs will need to do a few things, in order to have the best on-ice product.  These things include finally giving Carey Price, and other veterans like Andrei Markov and Shea Weber some much needed rest.  Another thing the Habs need to analyze is where will Alex Galchenyuk play in the playoffs. As well as will the red-hot third line stay intact come playoff time.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/04/01/montreal-canadiens-playoff-preparations-begin-now/

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

After officially clinching a playoff spot, the Montreal Canadiens have the next five games to prepare for the post-season. In that time the Habs will need to do a few things, in order to have the best on-ice product.  These things include finally giving Carey Price, and other veterans like Andrei Markov and Shea Weber some much needed rest.  Another thing the Habs need to analyze is where will Alex Galchenyuk play in the playoffs. As well as will the red-hot third line stay intact come playoff time.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/04/01/montreal-canadiens-playoff-preparations-begin-now/

Quite a sensible assessment :thumbs_up:

One new option for the Habs this year, is a rather chunky 4th line. Should see if their footspeed is an issue today vs Tampa. 

"The 680-pound line

Dwight King (6-foot-4, 229 pounds), Mike McCarron (6-foot-6, 231) and Andreas Martinsen (6-foot-3, 220), who will skate on the fourth line against the Lightning, weigh a combined 680 pounds." Stu Cowen

Guest Stogey24
21 hours ago, DON said:

One new option for the Habs this year, is a rather chunky 4th line. Should see if their footspeed is an issue today vs Tampa. 

"The 680-pound line

Dwight King (6-foot-4, 229 pounds), Mike McCarron (6-foot-6, 231) and Andreas Martinsen (6-foot-3, 220), who will skate on the fourth line against the Lightning, weigh a combined 680 pounds." Stu Cowen

Fat_bastard.jpeg

The Habs are as well-positioned as they are ever likely to be in the MB era. We have no major injuries (knock wood); the team is in the zone, with struggling players rounding into form at the right time; and, very importantly, the NHL's stupid playoff format ensures that at least one Metropolitan heavy hitter will be culled from the pool before we have to face them. As a second-tier contender, this team needs all three of these elements - health, players getting hot at the right time, and favourable matchups - to be in place if it is to go all the way. Right now, as of April 2, things look promising on all these fronts. One injury could muck it all up. But right now...:thumbs_up:

It was a weaker team than this that took out two heavy hitters in Washington and Pittsburgh using Martin's defense, halak goaltending and opportunistic goal scoring. Cammelleri. Anything can happen. But a second round exit is likely if I had to guess. 

9 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

It was a weaker team than this that took out two heavy hitters in Washington and Pittsburgh using Martin's defense, halak goaltending and opportunistic goal scoring. Cammelleri. Anything can happen. But a second round exit is likely if I had to guess. 

First Round will be tougher than the second.. 

The Rags are a tough team with a good goalie. Will be a tougher series than Ottawa or Toronto or Boston in the 2nd Round. 

I'm guessing the Habs make it to the Conference Finals.. then we'll see...

6 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

You don't think they could beat Leafs or Bruins? Why not?

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

So much rather columbus than Washington. 

Big time. Columbus is just happy to be there. They're not battle-hardened. Teams like that *can* become a miracle Cinderella story, but usually bow out in the first or second round - to great acclaim for a job well done. Washington is a whooooole other story, and surely has to be considered the Conference favourite.

Guest Stogey24
35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Big time. Columbus is just happy to be there. They're not battle-hardened. Teams like that *can* become a miracle Cinderella story, but usually bow out in the first or second round - to great acclaim for a job well done. Washington is a whooooole other story, and surely has to be considered the Conference favourite.

I've said it in previous years, but I truly think Washington wins it this year. Probably the deepest team in the game right now. They have something to prove too. 

It looks like Shea Weber will be getting his rest time early.  They announced on TSN690 a moment ago that he's a scratch from tonight's game against Florida. 

3 hours ago, DON said:

You don't think they could beat Leafs or Bruins? Why not?

Haha. My mistake. 1st round or ECF would probably be more likely. I don't know if I can take a Leafs habs series. Leafs fans would drive me nuts. 

41 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

No one is talking about it here but...the hated Laffs are in 2nd place and Ottawa seems to be fading...Honestly i hope they get knocked off early...I want no part of that team

I agree. While we *should* be able to beat them, their speed could prove a serious problem for our D, and they will be in an absolute frenzy of youthful excitement because of their city's hysteria over the match-up. Also, we will have to listen to all the old geezer wheezing on about the 'great' Habs-Leafs rivalry and the Greatest Year in Hockey History, i.e., 1967, which was great, of course, because the right team won :rolleyes: F*CK THAT, sez I.

37 minutes ago, habscout said:

It looks like Shea Weber will be getting his rest time early.  They announced on TSN690 a moment ago that he's a scratch from tonight's game against Florida. 

The update I heard now is that Weber will miss 2 games.  I hope this is not serious. 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I've said it in previous years, but I truly think Washington wins it this year. Probably the deepest team in the game right now. They have something to prove too. 

Still built around group of players who haven't be able to do it in the past, so I think still a huge ?

9 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Haha. My mistake. 1st round or ECF would probably be more likely. I don't know if I can take a Leafs habs series. Leafs fans would drive me nuts. 

I likely am in minority; but, would love to see Habs vs Leafs series. Might need to listen to all the games on TSN690, but minor issue.

3 minutes ago, DON said:

I likely am in minority; but, would love to see Habs vs Leafs series. Might need to listen to all the games on TSN690, but minor issue.

No thanks...just the idea of listening to Don Cherry and the Ron McMapleleafs of the world - for a series worth of games - is enough for me to say no thanks...

But seriously I think the Leafs might surprise in the playoffs...they have already overachieved.     

I agree that both Columbus and Washington are huge question marks deep in the playoffs. If either team makes the final, I'd predict they would lose to a Western team likely to be there outside of maybe Minnesota. 

A San Jose cup win would still surprise me as well but not as much as those two. 

I mention those teams because they are teams being brought up as having a great shot this year, and rightly so. 

We should just be focusing on the Rangers. They are a team that has just as much of a chance as us to do damage in the playoffs. They've also often made it tough or defeated much of the same core that Washington still has in recent playoffs.

They are are a good road team but I'm going to go with my extra early prediction of Habs in 7 if it does end up being the round 1 matchup. 

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree. While we *should* be able to beat them, their speed could prove a serious problem for our D, and they will be in an absolute frenzy of youthful excitement because of their city's hysteria over the match-up. Also, we will have to listen to all the old geezer wheezing on about the 'great' Habs-Leafs rivalry and the Greatest Year in Hockey History, i.e., 1967, which was great, of course, because the right team won :rolleyes: F*CK THAT, sez I.

The wrong forking team won and I am still pissed off about it.

45 minutes ago, habs rule said:

The wrong forking team won and I am still pissed off about it.

Agreed, but in fairness, how many series have Habs' goaltenders stolen over the years? :lol: I guess we were due.