Series Discussion Thread: Rangers vs Habs

dlbalr

Screen-Shot-2014-05-15-at-1.03.55-PM.png

As always, there will be plenty of news and notes throughout the series.  Rather than have them run through several different threads, let's keep the non-game related series discussion in here.

Schedule:

Game 1: Wed, Apr. 12, 7 PM - CBC, NBCSN, TVA Sports

Game 2: Fri, Apr. 14, 7 PM - CBC, USA Network, TVA Sports

Game 3: Sun, Apr. 16, 7 PM - SN, NBCSN, TVA Sports

Game 4: Tues, Apr. 18, 7 PM - CBC, NBCSN, TVA Sports

Game 5: Thurs, Apr. 20, TBD - TVA Sports (English networks TBD)*

Game 6: Sat, Apr. 22, TBD - TVA Sports (English networks TBD)*

Game 7: Mon, Apr. 24, TBD - TVA Sports (English networks TBD)*

* - if necessary

new-york-vs-mtl-game-1.jpg

• Upvote 2

I will accept nothing less than a trip to the finals this year. Enough is enough, time to see if this team has what it takes to go deep. 

Lehkonen for the Conn Smythe

:lol: 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

To go to game 3 or not to go?

Restaurant is closed on Easter Sunday. Might be a good time to take my daughter to her first habs game (she's 8). 

What do you think?

Are you kidding??  You have to take her....

i must warn you though; i took my daughter to her first game around that age ...and she wanted to leave after the 2nd period.  Still, it continues to be a good memory for both of us...

I don't see it lasting more than two games, but Galchenyuk being bumped to the fourth line for a guy with one point in 17 games is the first obvious mistake of the Julien Era. This reminds me of when Julien bumped Tyler Seguin to the 3rd line for Jagr in 2013...and Jagr didn't have a single goal in 22 playoff games. Then Seguin got dealt.

People take the Rangers lightly. Besides an aging Lundqvist, they don't have any real stars. But they also have above average everything. Imo, their logo should be a B+. Great forward corp and coaching, good enough D, and if Lundqvist gets hot the Habs might be in for a surprise. I think the Habs take it in 6.

• Upvote 2

Galchenyuk being bumped in practice is genius.

I'm guessing he'll see some shifts with the Shaw line and the Ott line, probably with Pacs and Raddy too.. make it tougher for the Rags to match up.

If the Rags use their top pairing against Radulov and Pacs (expected), it'll leave a good matchup for the Shaw or Ott line. Use Gally against the weaker D and let him contribute.

Price gets his revenge.

11 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I don't see it lasting more than two games, but Galchenyuk being bumped to the fourth line for a guy with one point in 17 games is the first obvious mistake of the Julien Era. This reminds me of when Julien bumped Tyler Seguin to the 3rd line for Jagr in 2013...and Jagr didn't have a single goal in 22 playoff games. Then Seguin got dealt.

People take the Rangers lightly. Besides an aging Lundqvist, they don't have any real stars. But they also have above average everything. Imo, their logo should be a B+. Great forward corp and coaching, good enough D, and if Lundqvist gets hot the Habs might be in for a surprise. I think the Habs take it in 6.

Good post. The Rags have only one point less than the Habs despite playing in a monster division. They are a strong, well-balanced club who certainly can beat the Canadiens, in principle. The main reason for optimism is our record against them when #31 is in nets. But we need to remember that our offence is unreliable and that Lundqvist has it in him to be quasi-Pricean. I like our chances, though. Habs in 6-7.

Whatever the result, it should be an exciting series between two classic franchises.

And...I rarely talk like this, but: if Kreider injures Price again, I want to see his face smashed in, and I want to see one of our behemoth 4th liners take out Lundqvist. There, I said it.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

And...I rarely talk like this, but: if Kreider injures Price again, I want to see his face smashed in, and I want to see one of our behemoth 4th liners take out Lundqvist. There, I said it.

I'm sure Galchenyuk will take care of it.

• Upvote 1

I actually like the idea of putting Galchenyuk on line 4, assuming line 4 gets full icetime.  New York only has one decent defense pairing, and they'll be trying to cover Patches. Galchenyuk on Line 4 will have free rein to shoot, and our grinders are good enough defensively to make up for his lack.

Of course, that's theory. In gameplay, maybe it doesn't work.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Jean Beliveau would roll over in his grave if he heard you...and you know that!:rastapop:

• Upvote 1

Guys...  Turns out that my girlfriend has an exam tomorrow.

I put the tix on sale on "la Voute du CH"  for 180$ each (paid them 100$ each).

If I'm not able to sell them (which will likely happen considering that tickets around mine are on sale for 130$ to 150$ each),  I'll attend the game with some other friend that is not my actual girlfriend. 

So sorry guys.  But I'm confident that this group can win playoffs game without my help. :D

25 minutes ago, DON said:

Jean Beliveau would roll over in his grave if he heard you...and you know that!:rastapop:

Are you sure about that? Le Gros Bill had guys like John Ferguson to take care of business, and also dropped the gloves quite a bit early in his career. Just saying.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Helmethead said:

To go to game 3 or not to go?

Restaurant is closed on Easter Sunday. Might be a good time to take my daughter to her first habs game (she's 8). 

What do you think?

Now THAT"S a dad!! :D

The child is blessed.!

2 hours ago, DON said:

We all get weak when it comes to Carey. Man up men!:B)

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

If I'm not able to sell them (which will likely happen considering that tickets around mine are on sale for 130$ to 150$ each),  I'll attend the game with some other friend that is not my actual girlfriend. 

So sorry guys.  But I'm confident that this group can win playoffs game without my help. :D

If I weren't so damned busy I'd buy them from you! I don't think you're my type fortunately.. and what kind of a woman shows up for an exam and misses a Habs playoff game??? Any relationship that can withstand that is sure to be a strong one. ... very forgiving of you. :wacko:

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Are you sure about that? Le Gros Bill had guys like John Ferguson to take care of business, and also dropped the gloves quite a bit early in his career. Just saying.

I remember a story I heard of how a well known wrestler had been rude to his wife and that he'd thrown him across a room.  What a guy. My favorite Hab of all time, A great man. Ever see that picture of him as he stopped what he was dong to talk to a young kid .. beautiful. 

... de Bertrand Raymond sur le décès de Jean Béliveau | RDS.ca

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good post. The Rags have only one point less than the Habs despite playing in a monster division. They are a strong, well-balanced club who certainly can beat the Canadiens, in principle. The main reason for optimism is our record against them when #31 is in nets. But we need to remember that our offence is unreliable and that Lundqvist has it in him to be quasi-Pricean. I like our chances, though. Habs in 6-7.

Whatever the result, it should be an exciting series between two classic franchises.

Martinsen would be a good pick to barrel into Lundqvist.

3 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Uh-oh.

I like our chances against the Rangers, but I certainly don't believe it's gonna be easy. Even though Carey has been red hot against the Rags, those stats are mostly regular season stats! Once the playoffs start, it's a whole new story!  The Rangers are a strong team, we can't take them lightly! Lets Hope Carey can be Carey and the boys in front can take care of business!

Habs in 6

Guest Stogey24

Price's playoff numbers 

Playoff appearances: 54
W-L: 23-27
GAA: 2.62
SO: 5

Henrik's

Playoff appearances: 116
W-L: 55-59
GAA: 2.28
SO: 9