Series Discussion Thread: Rangers vs Habs

dlbalr

14 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I rarely talk like this, but: if Kreider injures Price again, I want to see his face smashed in, and I want to see one of our behemoth 4th liners take out Lundqvist. There, I said it.

I not only agree with that sentiment, but I will raise it to say that ANY Ranger colliding with #31 with any degree of force needs to be hurt...badly...and to hell with the major.  You have to send a message, and make sure that guy has to be helped off of the ice to seek out seek out emergency dental surgery (or worse) immediately.  Even if Carey is just fine, you have to send the SOB to the hospital to make sure the opposition understands what the cost of running Carey Price will be.  Cross-check his teeth out, bust his jaw, step on the back of his leg with your skate and cut him to the bone during the crease scrum...whatever it takes.

11 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I not only agree with that sentiment, but I will raise it to say that ANY Ranger colliding with #31 with any degree of force needs to be hurt...badly...and to hell with the major.  You have to send a message, and make sure that guy has to be helped off of the ice to seek out seek out emergency dental surgery (or worse) immediately.  Even if Carey is just fine, you have to send the SOB to the hospital to make sure the opposition understands what the cost of running Carey Price will be.  Cross-check his teeth out, bust his jaw, step on the back of his leg with your skate and cut him to the bone during the crease scrum...whatever it takes.

You're actually thinking more clearly than I was in that post...I was imagining revenge against anyone who injures Price, but it's obviously more important to DETER such an injury in the first place.

Price already made a start with his head-bashing temper tantrum earlier this year. Molson, Bergevin, and Julien need to be reinforcing this by relentless lobbying of the NHL and the series refs to protect the goalies. The refs should basically be hearing nothing but constant tirades from the Habs about this, from start to finish.

Coaches do not instruct players to injure opponents, but Julien should be absolutely clear that, if you get a chance to hit Kreider, you should do so as punishingly as possible. I'm talking about stuff like this:

Finally, the entire team, but especially the D-corps, needs to commit with grim intensity to protecting Price. I wouldn't endorse the level of violence you describe, but absolutely, any liberties taken in the crease should be met with an immediate and punishing response. (This would include running Lundqvist very hard in response, if the refs sit on their fat duffs). The message has to be clear from the first few minutes of Game One. I don't mean running around stupidly, Bruins-style; nor that we should go out there looking for trouble. I just mean a remorseless determination to show that you CANNOT TAKE LIBERTIES with #31. Period. Once everyone understands that, then hey, may the best team win.

• Upvote 1

There is something about this Rangers team that just gets under my skin...and it isn't just Kreider...

to be honest, i am not even looking forward to this series.  I can't put my finger on it but its an "ugly" feeling.  I hate the Bruins but i know why,  With the Rangers i don;t have the same hatred as i do for the Bruins; its closer to how i feel about the leafs. its just weird.   i'm rambling lol. Habs in six... 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Finally, the entire team, but especially the D-corps, needs to commit with grim intensity to protecting Price. I wouldn't endorse the level of violence you describe, but absolutely, any liberties taken in the crease should be met with an immediate and punishing response. (This would include running Lundqvist very hard in response, if the refs sit on their fat duffs). The message has to be clear from the first few minutes of Game One. I don't mean running around stupidly, Bruins-style; nor that we should go out there looking for trouble. I just mean a remorseless determination to show that you CANNOT TAKE LIBERTIES with #31. Period. Once everyone understands that, then hey, may the best team win.

We also have 4-5 easily replaceable tough guys who can send that message. I really don't want to see Weber getting 5 and a game, but if Ott does, for the right reason, he just earned his salary.

• Upvote 2

I think the main "under the radar" factor heading into this series is that the Rangers were the best team in the league on the road. That type of thing is huge in the playoffs. Other than that, I'll stick to my prediction that the Habs win in 7 games even though that 7th game would be on the road for the Rangers. 

Series starts in 35 minutes. Opportunity Awaits.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Why are we using two threads?

What's the other thread called?

I didn't see a GDT thread, so I've been posting here about/during the game.

20 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Game threads for specific games, series threads for over-arcing themes?

That's the plan.  Last night, quite a few GDT-type of posts were in here with the GDT going on as well (they've all been moved).

I believe we are really going to notice our lack of scoring in this series.  I know that I will get blasted for this, but by the end of this series, Duchene for Sergachev will seem like a good idea.  Especially when all it takes is one fluke goal to win a game. I am also sorry for saying this but Carey is prone to those types of goals.  We need to score goals!!!

I don't know much about Juulsen but I couldn't imagine that he would actually be an upgrade on Nesterov.

The problem right now with most of the bottom pairing players is that they have to play with one another. Nesterov and Beaulieu aren't as terrible as they are being portrayed but the problem is that they have to play with each other. Rotate any of Juulsen, Redmond, Davidson in and you'll still have a weak pair. 

Perhaps Jordie should play with one of them and Petry with the other.

I'm starting to think players should be starting to take the game in their hands again.  I'm totally on board with a mentality of; you run price, you lose teeth and/or consciousness, then someone flies shoulder first into your netminder.

This Methot/Crosby thing has me pissed beyond belief.  Took the top off of Methots finger and not even a penalty.  Someone needs to step in, knock Crosby the fark out, concuss him and look into a camera and say, "player safety isn't being player safety, so I'll serve my 8 games happily knowing I did what they should of."

Maybe then the NHL would be a little more serious about some of the happening around the NHL.

20 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Two wrongs don't make a right ;)

I 100% agree and that's the problem.  By not increasing suspensions and not suspending players for injuring other players on deliberate plays, it is a wrong by ignorance.

Crosbys slash was the same slash we see dozens of times every game.  The end result was unfortunate but it wasnt an intentional attempt to injure.  Crosby himself takes that same slash more than any other player in the league as he carries the puck more than anyone.  I dont think that is the situation that needs this type of retaliation.

Are we going to have full out brawls and dirty play at every injury.

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:22 PM, Commandant said:

Crosbys slash was the same slash we see dozens of times every game.  The end result was unfortunate but it wasnt an intentional attempt to injure.  Crosby himself takes that same slash more than any other player in the league as he carries the puck more than anyone.  I dont think that is the situation that needs this type of retaliation.

Are we going to have full out brawls and dirty play at every injury.

I agree with this, it was a freak accident on a play that happens a hundred times per game, to all who carries the puck...Crosby takes lots of abuse, and Methot tries to hit everyone he can, he's no angel, so too bad, tough break.

My pre-playoff wish was to see Boston and the Leafs lose round 1 and for us to beat Ottawa in round 2 but Ottawa is the tougher out. A lot of Bruins players aren't feeling 100%.