HABS VS RANGERS PLAYOFFS GAME 2 THREAD FRIDAY APRIL 14TH @ 7PM

xXx..CK..xXx

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

One of the reasons they won, is because galchenyuk wasn't playing with grunts.  The shifts he had with gally and lekhonan, that whole line was buzzing around.  If we are going to win, we need galchenyuk in the top 6, not buried with 4th line grunts.

we also need maxpac to play like he did in that OT.  Yesterday our skilled guys were all dangerous and the bottom 6 were effective.  Now if the bottom pairing D could be effective, we have a chance.

Ya, good post. 

Max held the puck in the offensive zone, instead of taking a 40 ft shot. It made the difference in OT. 

We just have to hope Pacioretty goes on a hot streak, because when he does, he buries everything. 

I also agree with everyone that Nesterov needs to come out. The problem is that Davidson is bad positionally and I don't think much of an upgrade.. Maybe Don has something with Juulsen? What even happened to Emelin?

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

One of the reasons they won, is because galchenyuk wasn't playing with grunts.  The shifts he had with gally and lekhonan, that whole line was buzzing around.  If we are going to win, we need galchenyuk in the top 6, not buried with 4th line grunts.

we also need maxpac to play like he did in that OT.  Yesterday our skilled guys were all dangerous and the bottom 6 were effective.  Now if the bottom pairing D could be effective, we have a chance.

The unnerving thought here is the old saw that a team is only as strong as its weakest link. 

From the look of it, our weak links are significantly weaker than the Rags.' Julien needs to find an answer for the bottom pairing.

33:40 for the old d-man to lead the team...is costly having boat anchor like Nesterov riding the bench (for good reason) and Habs also seemed much weaker with Weber in box for 5 minutes. Rangers likely would be smart, to try and get him to repeat dropping his gloves.

I didn't even notice that Radulov had 3 point game, sure makes up for his 2 dumb penalties.

Plekanec 62.2% on faceoffs, a bit early to mean much at all; but, he also is leading playoffs with 28 wins, hope he keeps up his play.

Guest Stogey24
7 minutes ago, DON said:

I didn't even notice that Radulov had 3 point game, sure makes up for his 2 dumb penalties.

Plekanec 62.2% on faceoffs, a bit early to mean much at all; but, he also is leading playoffs with 28 wins, hope he keeps up his play.

If somehow they can get Plekanec producing even a little, it would be huge for this team. 

He looked terrible in game 1, but game 2 was much better 

16 minutes ago, DON said:

33:40 for the old d-man to lead the team...is costly having boat anchor like Nesterov riding the bench (for good reason) and Habs also seemed much weaker with Weber in box for 5 minutes. Rangers likely would be smart, to try and get him to repeat dropping his gloves.

I know everyone was excited to see Weber drop 'em, but his absence even for 5 minutes really hurt the team. He is too important to lose like that.

9 hours ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

Wasn't that McSorley's stick?

Yeah, I was at that game - one of the greatest games in Habs' history, now half-forgotten. Last night's game was similar in its basic dynamics: the team looking at going to the opposition rink 0-2, generating relatively little despite trailing, then an explosive last second goal to save the day and a big win in OT. It lacked, of course, the insane element of the illegal stick and the harrowing drama of Demers's balls-to-the-wall decision to pull Roy despite having a PP. And it was only a first round tilt. Still, like I said, 'shades of.'

33 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I know everyone was excited to see Weber drop 'em, but his absence even for 5 minutes really hurt the team. He is too important to lose like that.

I guess I should take back that the Habs might be able to do well without their #1 defender playing like their #1 defender.

Pittsburgh, on the other hand...

Loving my avatar today !!!

I'm trully, deeply happy for Plekanec. 

We, and that includes myself, have been hard on him for the past season (kinda deserved though),  and he played a very solid game and got rewarded with that last minute goal.

In front of the net, stick down on the ice. Bravo !

Noticed a few things last night.  Missed the first game here in Mexico, but wasn't missing the 2nd.

When chucky was upgraded to the 3rd line, we looked twice as dangerous.  Let the 4th line be crashers and bangers.  Julian's patented 4th line in Boston didn't have a 30 goal scorer on it.  They went out, hit, crashed the net and irritated defenders and goaltenders.  

The problem with beaulieu and nesterov isn't beaulieu.   It's that they are the same type of offensive defenseman and nesterov is worse.  I understand why nesterov was dressed, but beaulieu looks better with Benn.  He needs the stability defensively.  Davidson is capable of being better than Benn.  Watched him a lot in edmonton.

What was up with the one-sided calls?  Radu's first call was a result of 3 previous missed calls after the whistle by the Rangers.  So how is it radu gets called first?  I'm still never going to understand the officiating.  3 blatant calls ignored in ot because it was ot?

lastly the habs need more puck support.  All game long it was 3 rangers on the puck to 1-2 Canadiens.  The idea of having an outlet for the puck battles is great, but useless when you lose 90% of those undermanned battles.  Really need to be more aggressive in those battles and at least match numbers.  The absolute worse is on the pp.  Up a man and still out manned in puck battles.  There's no excuse for that, none.  That's why the pp sucks so much.  Too much time trying to enter the zone because of the unwillingness to battle to keep the puck in.  The dump ins are atrocious because of the unwillingness to match or outnumber on the puck.  If we can make that minor change, we will have a dangerous pp.

Sorry for the lack of caps and spelling mistakes.  I hate typing on iPhones.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Juulsen is now available, likely headed for AHL (if IceCaps sneak into playoffs), but maybe he would be upgrade on Nesterov (cant be worse can he?)

Too bad Redman is still out hurt, likely best option, at least he is RH as is Juulsen?

Nesterov reminds me of Yannick Weber in 2010

4 hours ago, DON said:

Juulsen is now available, likely headed for AHL (if IceCaps sneak into playoffs), but maybe he would be upgrade on Nesterov (cant be worse can he?)

Too bad Redman is still out hurt, likely best option, at least he is RH as is Juulsen?

I'd classify Juulsen as an upgrade on Nesterov though it'd be tough to ask him to make his NHL debut in the middle of a series. 

Redmond's healthy now - he's recovered from the undisclosed injury that he suffered shortly after coming back from an undisclosed injury (I wish St. John's could be as forthcoming with injury info as the Habs - and that's really saying something considering how protective the Habs are).  However, he's in the same boat as Nesterov and Davidson, mobile options with decent offensive talent but are weak in their own zone.  Juulsen is at least a stable option defensively though I'd fear he'd be inclined to go for the big hit too often like he does in junior.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

My girlfriend was also at the 5-0 comeback game.  She wants a kickstarter to attend the rest of this series 

if you can convince enough habs zealots that she is a good luck charm,  then start a Fund Me campaign...

6 hours ago, habs rule said:

good for you. I would love to be there but only money stopping me.

Location stops me. I haven't been to la Belle Province in thirty years... My wife isn't into hockey, and I am not taking vacation by myself.

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

My girlfriend was also at the 5-0 comeback game.  She wants a kickstarter to attend the rest of this series 

15 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

if you can convince enough habs zealots that she is a good luck charm,  then start a Fund Me campaign...

I have no problem throwing many many dollars towards a cause like that if it results in Habs wins 

2 hours ago, illWill said:

I have no problem throwing many many dollars towards a cause like that if it results in Habs wins 

Same here ....its funny...im not very religious - but this time of year i seem to talk to the Big Hab a lot...lol. I realize today is Easter and the Big Hab has other things on His mind ...but i did ask him if He could give Chucky a goal tonight...if nothing else it will stop the Chucky fans from pulling the last of their hair out..

Happy Easter everyone..  

• Upvote 1