How many times do you fire GM and/or coach before you realize it's the team??

Habsfan1989

Just asking because from what I keep seeing over and over with this organization is they keep firing the GM and/or  coach , but the on ice results are always the same. 

This is is an organization in trouble if you ask me. Our core guys can't get it done in the playoffs and we have no talent coming up in the farm system. Price is a ufa after next year and Max's contract is up in 2 years. 

Do do we keep this team together our blow it up. 

5 minutes ago, Habsfan1989 said:

Just asking because from what I keep seeing over and over with this organization is they keep firing the GM and/or  coach , but the on ice results are always the same. 

This is is an organization in trouble if you ask me. Our core guys can't get it done in the playoffs and we have no talent coming up in the farm system. Price is a ufa after next year and Max's contract is up in 2 years. 

Do do we keep this team together our blow it up. 

I ever few years you fire the GM/coach then I think it becomes alot harder for the Team to "build from within". Drafting is never truly done with long therm vision as it can take in some cases over 5-7 years for a player to make first real strides in the Show (see Detroit). With that in mind I prone extreme time to be given to a GM once hired + I'm kinda sick from the last 15 years of "drafting program" changes. Let's see how Timmins Late round magic turns for MB still for a bit, for me.   

I think that is the point...It is the players. The players that our GM traded for, signed as UFAs or extended contracts or traded away franchise defenseman...

This is all on the general manager.

He either is incompetent by not understanding what we needed or he is so tight and careful that he won't invest his money.

Either way this is on the GM and we need a new one

48 minutes ago, Habsfan1989 said:

is it time to blow up the core of this time?

Of course it is...what do you think we can get for Price with 1 year left on contract? Can or should we package Price & Galchneyuk, or Pacioretty, Gallagher & Beaulieu or some other combo package to Aves and/or some other lottery pick team? Do we toss in Sergachev also?

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think that is the point...It is the players. The players that our GM traded for, signed as UFAs or extended contracts or traded away franchise defenseman...

This is all on the general manager.

He either is incompetent by not understanding what we needed or he is so tight and careful that he won't invest his money.

Either way this is on the GM and we need a new one

Well, exactly. GMs are not fired to give a jolt to the existing roster. They're fired because that roster is inadequate and they are not trusted to fix it. 

Been saying that for years. 

Have to do something pretty significant in the off season to address the center position and foot speed on Defense. 

As habsfan points out, they have a bunch of 2nd rounders in a pretty weak draft from accounts

2 hours ago, Habsfan1989 said:

The problem is this is a weak draft year. 

That's not real important. Habs are picking late 1st and have two late 2nd rounders (if keep both, as 2nd round picks seem to be commonly used to move up in draft).

I would like to see MB (I assume BeerBossMan won't fire him) pull some moves too... I suck pretty hard at NHL (can't play, can't GM) so I kinda get when he says "trades are hard" but this to makes me believe that a GM by comity system might be needed. I could safely says I have absolutely hated some moves (yes, PK) but I think he has a good GM head to get rid of some contracts to, since he has been here.

It might be some of the people he has around him, IMO Timmins, Capt'n Kirk, Dudley... are some Great hockey people, Maybe the Team should build from that. I would love to see Big Bird Larry or Teemu Salane (sp) or Pronger or someone not usual suspect join Habs mngmnt in some significant role. I think this would help change some of the same old methods of seeing/manage assets in house and maybe even out of system as well.

Boys in the top floor need to start doing something differently that is for sure.   

1 hour ago, Habsfan1989 said:

I think the problem in Montreal that sets us back from the rest of the nhl is the fact that we have to have a French speaking GM and coach. 

Montreal pushed for Jim Nill for GM and he turned them down. He doesn't speak French. They went for Bergevin instead.

When they fired Therrien, before Julien became available, they asked the Panthers for permission to speak to Gallant. He doesn't not speak French.

I don't mean to speak for Quebec but if someone makes an effort they are usually happy. It's the guys that don't make an effort and don't try that turns it into an issue. People forget that after Mike Keane refused to learn French as Captain and after being traded Turgeon and Damphousse got the C people thought Montreal would only pick a French Canadian as Captain. Koivu ended that.

11 hours ago, Habsfan1989 said:

I think the problem in Montreal that sets us back from the rest of the nhl is the fact that we have to have a French speaking GM and coach. 

Got to kowtow to the language police, so yes it sets Habs apart from all other NHL teams. The locals would rather riot and have a weaker team than simply hiring the best people for the jobs.

But is just a fact of life. 

20 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

replace MB with Vincent Damphousse as GM...don't laugh.  I really think this is going to happen.   

He has coached or managed at pro level?

45 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

did MB?

Wiki    - Damphousse was a member of the National Hockey League Players' Association (NHLPA) executive committee, serving as vice president under Trevor Linden.

MB was in management in Chicago for 4 years, including as assistant GM.  Damphousse has a position with the NHLPA that doesn't do much (the lawyers do the heavy lifting in the PA). 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

MB was in management in Chicago for 4 years, including as assistant GM.  Damphousse has a position with the NHLPA that doesn't do much (the lawyers do the heavy lifting in the PA). 

Lawyers - Heavy Lifting...who you trying to kid?

11 minutes ago, DON said:

Lawyers - Heavy Lifting...who you trying to kid?

Who do you think is negotiating and drafting the CBA?  The ex-players, or guys like Donald Fehr and his team of lawyers. 

guys like damphousse who didn't even finish high school?

Huge respect for Damphousse, but give me someone who has paid his dues learning NHL management (e.g. Brisebois). Of course, our last two GMs have had impeccable credentials and both have stunk out the joint, so who knows.

• Upvote 1

Bergevin on centers, paraphrased:

1. They're not available, ever, and don't you forget it.

2.  You have to draft them.

3. Alex Galchenyuk is a winger.

So, the greatest team need isn't avaliable, and they can't develop it when they have their pick of any center in an entire draft. Sounds like he's admitting he can't do his job and he should resign.

• Upvote 1