Should Bergevin consider trading Carey Price?

illWill

For argument sake, let's say MB and Price's agent sit down and after talking it was agreed by both sides that the best option would be for us to trade him, Price agrees with the move. What do get for him.

With his awards, trophies, past successes and playing on the WJC, Olympics and other world tournaments and considered the best goalie in hockey by many this would be my asking price:

A top line centre.

A second top young asset.

Two first round picks, or a first and a high second.

What do you think? 

2 hours ago, REV-G said:

For argument sake, let's say MB and Price's agent sit down and after talking it was agreed by both sides that the best option would be for us to trade him, Price agrees with the move. What do get for him.

With his awards, trophies, past successes and playing on the WJC, Olympics and other world tournaments and considered the best goalie in hockey by many this would be my asking price:

A top line centre.

What do you think? 

Goalies never bring that type of return.

2 hours ago, REV-G said:

A top line centre.

What do you think? 

depends on the team doing the giving, and what the assets are.  But that trade won't ever happen, the difference  between the top 10 goalies in the league is not enough to warrant that kind of return imho.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Goalies never bring that type of return.

Do you think Martin Brodeur or Patrick Roy could have brought that kind of return? 

10 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Do you think Martin Brodeur or Patrick Roy could have brought that kind of return? 

10 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Patrick roy would likely get you 

A decent lw with speed.

An enigmatic russian powerforward wgo wouldnt live up to expectations.

And a high end prospect goalie who would become an average starter and never quite live up to the hype.

Oh ans youd have to make your captain a throw in to go with Roy too.

• Upvote 1

A Red Wings staff member once told me that Scotty Bowman almost flipped a table in rage for how cheap Colorado got Roy. Everyone knew that nothing was stopping Detroit that year. And then Roy came to Denver. I guess Houle/Corey traded him so fast Detroit didn't get a chance to make a proper offer. They would have matched and offered more.

Imagine the 96-02 Red Wings with Roy in net.

59 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Umm..  Do you not remember what we got for Roy?  Now administrative admittedly we had the unholy trinity running the team at the time, but I don't trust MB to do much better.

consider what the return for luongo (all three times) was underwhelming, and the team getting him, won the trade all 3 times.

the return for other starters (albeit lower profile), like Schneider were also nominal, I don't see price bringing more than a top 6 forward and a pick, unless he was part of a larger package.

28 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

A Red Wings staff member once told me that Scotty Bowman almost flipped a table in rage for how cheap Colorado got Roy. Everyone knew that nothing was stopping Detroit that year. And then Roy came to Denver. I guess Houle/Corey traded him so fast Detroit didn't get a chance to make a proper offer. They would have matched and offered more.

Imagine the 96-02 Red Wings with Roy in net.

When I heard Roy was traded I asked my buddy, who did we get, Forsburg or Sakic?  I was speechless when I heard the return.  When I did speak, it was mainly a lot of swearing at the unholy trinity and mainly at Tremblay, who IMO should have his name stricken from every cup he won in Montreal and never be invited to any future habs alumni event again.  Than I'd really like to start hurting him!

• Upvote 1

To blow it up right, fire all Mgmt personal and ship out most valuable piece to start with. Pretty hard to tank for a couple years with all star goalie winning games by himself!

They're two completely different statements.  I can't remember Bergevin explicitly saying he's not trading Subban (maybe I'm wrong there, that was a while ago...).  I thought he said he wasn't looking to trade him (and wasn't shopping him) which is a small but notable difference versus saying he's not being traded as he said with Price. 

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

They're two completely different statements.  I can't remember Bergevin explicitly saying he's not trading Subban (maybe I'm wrong there, that was a while ago...).  I thought he said he wasn't looking to trade him (and wasn't shopping him) which is a small but notable difference versus saying he's not being traded as he said with Price. 

Come on, to be a GM of Habs you need to be part politician and we all know how you can tell when a politician is lying.

Image result for how can you tell a politician is lying?

30 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

In February he said he's not trading him: 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-gm-bergevin-says-he-wont-trade-p-k-subban/

In June he said he's not shopping him: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-gm-bergevin-says-he-wont-trade-p-k-subban/

"If someone offered me half their team"

What if the Oilers ultimately get eliminated and believe it was because of poor goal tending. They think they are very close to the cup.

They approach us about Price...

Is there a plausible package that they could offer, without gutting their team that would make us interested?

I think there are only two teams that could tempt us, Oilers and Vegas. I don't think we should trade Price but I think either one of those teams could make us a plausible offer that we would consider.

23 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

What if the Oilers ultimately get eliminated and believe it was because of poor goal tending. They think they are very close to the cup.

Is there a plausible package that they could offer, without gutting their team that would make us interested?

I think there are only two teams that could tempt us, Oilers and Vegas. I don't think we should trade Price but I think either one of those teams could make us a plausible offer that we would consider.

You're thinking   Price + ___ for  Talbot +  Draisaitl ?

Why do we want Edmonton to win the cup? Because I'm pretty sure they win a few if he ends up there. 

It's really short term thinking to trade away Price. If we think he's worth trading then that's a scary thought for our future because I strongly believe he remains here for awhile either way. 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

How does Vegas offer us a package that is tempting for Carey Price?

Why do the Oilers think their elimination was because of goaltending?

These are two questions I don't know the answers to. 

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

How does Vegas offer us a package that is tempting for Carey Price?

Why do the Oilers think their elimination was because of goaltending?

These are two questions I don't know the answers to. 

My thinking on Vegas was high draft picks. I would expect maybe two top 5 picks.

Talbot has been okay but he has not been lights out. Imagine Price on that team right now.

I was trying to find plausible trade partners. Maybe there really aren't any!

From this draft, I have no interest in the 6th overall pick for Carey Price.  This draft is garbage after the top 2 picks, and even the top 2 picks are not at Auston Matthews/Connor McDavid level of the last two years. 

Also with the combo of Carey Price on Vegas, and the draft lottery I have no guarantee that next year's pick is going to be top 2 or 3 high.  Vegas is not guaranteed anything next year.  Their pick will be determined the same way every other NHL team's picks are determined. 

So no, a package of Vegas' draft picks doesn't entice me. Not for Price anyway. 

The trouble with trading Price is not that he is sacred but that he has no internally-developed successor. This isn't like the Luongo-Schneider situation in Van a few years ago; rather it's symptomatic of the Habs' structural problem of not being able to groom high-end talent from within, which forces us to over-rely on expensive veterans.

As it stands right now, if we trade Price, we either have to get a legit #1 goalie back, which lessens Price's effectiveness as a trading chip to improve our offence, since our trade partner will count that goalie as part of the cost; or else we leave a massive hole that has to be filled through further moves.

I probably wouldn't trade Price anyway. He's more like one of those elite 'core pieces' that teams like Chicago lock up. But if we had a very promising 20something goalie knocking on the door, that would make it a lot easier to think about.

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The trouble with trading Price is not that he is sacred but that he has no internally-developed successor. This isn't like the Luongo-Schneider situation in Van a few years ago; rather it's symptomatic of the Habs' structural problem of not being able to groom high-end talent from within, which forces us to over-rely on expensive veterans.

As it stands right now, if we trade Price, we either have to get a legit #1 goalie back, which lessens Price's effectiveness as a trading chip to improve our offence, since our trade partner will count that goalie as part of the cost; or else we leave a massive hole that has to be filled through further moves.

I probably wouldn't trade Price anyway. He's more like one of those elite 'core pieces' that teams like Chicago lock up. But if we had a very promising 20something goalie knocking on the door, that would make it a lot easier to think about.

Could simply ship Price out and sign one of many upcoming UFA goalies, saving a crap load of $, especially for Prices next contract.

Lindgren is 20 something (23 and is 3-0 1.65 and .943 in his three NHL starts), McNivan is OHL goalie of year, so maybe one of those could develop, but who knows with goalies and how they may turn out.

On 5/6/2017 at 11:15 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

. But if we had a very promising 20something goalie knocking on the door, that would make it a lot easier to think about.

She'd have to be crazy pretty. 

• Upvote 1