2016-17 General IceCaps/Beast Discussion Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Glad we went HUR DURR that guy has size, instead of taking someone with talent in the third round. 

I was happy with the pick and looking at those taken before Andrighetto, wasn't the only swing and miss.

70   NY Islanders Eamon McAdam      G Waterloo Black Hawks [USHL]            
3 71 Montreal Connor Crisp C Erie Otters [OHL]            
3 72 Philadelphia Tyrell Goulbourne L Kelowna Rockets [WHL]            
3 73 New Jersey Ryan Kujawinski C Kingston Frontenacs [OHL]            
3 74 Chicago John Hayden C U.S. National Development Team [USHL]            
3 75 NY Rangers Pavel Buchnevich F Cherepovets Jrs. (Russia) 9 3 4 7 4 2016-17
3 76 NY Islanders Taylor Cammarata C Waterloo Black Hawks [USHL]            
3 77 Pittsburgh Jake Guentzel C Sioux City Musketeers [USHL]            
3 78 Ottawa Marcus Hogberg G Linkoping Jrs. (Sweden)            
3 79 Detroit Mattias Janmark-Nylen C AIK [SEL] 73 15 14 29 16 2015-16
3 80 NY Rangers Anthony Duclair L Quebec Remparts [QMJHL] 111 22 32 54 55 2016-17
3 81 Minnesota Kurtis Gabriel R Owen Sound Attack [OHL] 3 0 0 0 10 2015-16
3 82 Toronto Carter Verhaeghe C Niagara IceDogs [OHL]            
3 83 Edmonton Bogdan Yakimov C Nizhnekamsk Jrs. (Russia) 1 0 0 0 0 2014-15
3 84 Winnipeg Jimmy Lodge C Saginaw Spirit [OHL]            
3 85 Vancouver Cole Cassels C Oshawa Generals [OHL]            
3 86 Montreal Sven Andrighetto R Rouyn-Noranda Huskies [QMJHL] 56 9 11 20 6 2015

Several good ones there.... Buchnevich, Duclair, Janmark are productive NHLers.... Jake Guentzel, Ryan Kujawinski, are considerably better NHL prospects than Crisp.

Duclair was well known in scouting circles.  He was playing less than a three hour drive from Montreal.... missing him for a guy who can't even keep up to AHL speed is a massive fail. 

Keep that in mind, Crisp isn't even a good AHL player, never mind the NHL. 

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Several good ones there.... Buchnevich, Duclair, Janmark are productive NHLers.... Jake Guentzel, Ryan Kujawinski, are considerably better NHL prospects than Crisp.

Duclair was well known in scouting circles.  He was playing less than a three hour drive from Montreal.... missing him for a guy who can't even keep up to AHL speed is a massive fail. 

Keep that in mind, Crisp isn't even a good AHL player, never mind the NHL. 

I know, just saying he wasn't only miss and most 'still' have done jack in the NHL.

Not that I think Crisp will ever be a NHL regular, but at the time was fine with him being picked. Kinda hoped at the time that he was another Prust type.

I read somewhere like a year ago that the Habs were never going to pick Duclair. Shane Churla just came in from Dallas and didn't like him at all. Timmins was still scouting the Q a lot at the time so he must have agreed with him somewhat. Maybe someone just saw the similarities in Churla and Crisp and made it up but there was talk that the Habs draft strategy in 2013 changed significantly after Montreal was bounced by Ottawa.

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I read somewhere like a year ago that the Habs were never going to pick Duclair. Shane Churla just came in from Dallas and didn't like him at all. Timmins was still scouting the Q a lot at the time so he must have agreed with him somewhat. Maybe someone just saw the similarities in Churla and Crisp and made it up but there was talk that the Habs draft strategy in 2013 changed significantly after Montreal was bounced by Ottawa.

he wasn't the only potential good pick.  Pavel Buchnevich. 

With Hudon being recalled, the IceCaps have brought up Yannick Veilleux from Brampton.  I'll be interested to see if they play him or just have him as an extra body as he wasn't half bad with St. Louis' AHL team last year.

Connor Crisp has been sent back to Brampton.  That brings St. John's back to 13 forwards in total with Veilleux being the designated scratch.  It has been a while since they had just 13 forwards.

By the way, Friday's game is available on RDS.  It looks like it'll be a tape delay game once again with coverage starting at 8 PM EST.

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Crisp just a pinball between leagues  

It's better for him to be in Brampton for a while (and not get yo-yoed).  Hopefully they'll actually keep him down long enough so that he starts to get a bit of confidence in his game as being a spare fourth liner in the AHL can't be helping him much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Stogey24

Your right. I should have added more to my post. 

I do think he's a talented player. It just seems like injuries seem to follow him around. 

If we gave up on players for a few injuries early in their career, we would have given up on Rocket Richard.   Not saying they are the same talent, just saying that you don't give up on a player cause he's been unlucky with a few injuries.

• dlbalr changed the title to 2016-17 General IceCaps/Beast Discussion Thread
  • dlbalr pinned this topic
  • dlbalr unpinned this topic