2016-17 General IceCaps/Beast Discussion Thread

dlbalr

More injury news for St. John's, Charles Hudon is out until after Christmas.  He suffered a lower body injury after colliding with Chris Terry yesterday but I think he remained in the game.  After losing Andrighetto/Barberio back to the Habs, the lineup is looking pretty weak all of a sudden (making yesterday's pitiful loss that much worse).

Mike Vernance has quit the Beast to play in Austria. To retain his rights, it will show on transactions as a team suspension. (BTW-Beast won 3-0 in Glen Falls NY tonight spoiling Adirondack's Teddy Bear Toss event). Zach got the shut out. Brampton has signed forward Connor Leen.

It's disappointing Vernace is leaving.  He was first on my shortlist for guys to call up on defence if another injury/recall strikes.  (Yes, Dalton Thrower is down there but he has been out for most of the season.)

It's an ankle sprain for Charles Hudon who expects to be ready to return on Boxing Day.

St. John's has been busy today in advance of their game against the Marlies tomorrow.  They've recalled Mathieu Coderre-Gagnon again while also signing Brandon MacLean to a PTO (both are wingers for those wondering).  On top of that, they've brought back goalie Bryan Pitton, he of the 5.00 GAA in the ECHL on his second (and final) PTO of the season.  I'm not aware of any injury to either Lindgren/Danis and up front, they're getting Andrighetto and possibly Scherbak back as well.  Tomorrow's lineup just got a bit more interesting (in particular, who won't be playing).

IceCaps now 6th in East

4th best PP, 22nd best PK

Lindgren tied 2nd with 13 wins

2.46gaa, .924%

Chris Terry leading scorer 20gms 10g 26pts (19th in league)

Andrighetto also >1.0ppg 22pts in 19gms.

Andrighetto was sent back to St. John's after the game yesterday.  Somewhere along the lines, at least one of his recalls was on an unstated emergency basis as he has been up with the team for more than 30 days cumulative since clearing waivers.  (Short-term emergency recalls don't count against that threshold.)  Unfortunately Johnston wasn't sent down surprisingly.

36 minutes ago, DON said:

How about Audette lately with 9pts in last 10 gms , of course getting prime icetime helps as well but still. 

He's had prime ice time for two months now.  It's certainly nice to see him do something with it though; he has played much better as of late.

St. John's has signed winger Alex Ranger and d-man Reggie Traccito to PTO deals.  Ranger finished last season with the IceCaps while Traccito plays in Brampton.  I'm a bit surprised they added another defenceman though, they're already dressing seven as it is.

Edit: Add Anthony Camara (you may remember the name from the World Juniors a few years ago) to the list of PTO deals. 

Make that four new contracts today as John McCarron (yes, Michael's older brother) has signed a PTO.

Two IceCaps were named to the All-Star Game although one (Barberio) won't play unless the Habs waive him and he clears.  The other one is Lindgren which should come as no surprise.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Make that four new contracts today as John McCarron (yes, Michael's older brother) has signed a PTO.

Two IceCaps were named to the All-Star Game although one (Barberio) won't play unless the Habs waive him and he clears.  The other one is Lindgren which should come as no surprise.

McCarron, like LaCarriere being hired on, are both just coincidences their relatives are with Habs.;)

1 hour ago, DON said:

McCarron, like LaCarriere being hired on, are both just coincidences their relatives are with Habs.;)

You can make a good case that McCarron's addition is based on merit actually.  30 points in 29 ECHL games is pretty good (T-31 league wide) and he had a great playoff performance last year as well.  You're not going to find much better in these types of situations (scouring for players who are unaffiliated with any NHL or AHL team).  As for Nick Carriere, I've yet to see a merit-based argument for his hire.  (That all said, I'm sure Michael McCarron being in the organization certainly helped in getting his brother to sign.)

8 hours ago, DON said:

But, just think of all the stress relief you will get ripping into his Corsi also!:P

I say we occasionally post "Should the Habs call up John McCarron to play with his brother?!?" and see how soon it takes Commandant's head to explode. 

• Upvote 2

• dlbalr changed the title to 2016-17 General IceCaps/Beast Discussion Thread
  • dlbalr pinned this topic
  • dlbalr unpinned this topic