Have we arrived at the point where we need sweeping changes?

REV-G

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

It's wrong to talk history now? About the Montreal Canadiens? The team that believes in forum ghosts?

If you'd rather talk about history that's up to you. I mean, we can make some threads dedicated to the past, I just don't see how the past should creep up into every discussion on this board about the 2017 and future Montreal Canadiens. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Didn't you know the kool-aid drinkers only want to discuss the successful history, not the last 22 years of mainly hell - which they seem to be good with!

I don't think I need to respond to this comment other than saying it's plain to see how bad you make yourself look 

1 hour ago, Habsfan1989 said:

Better hope Nashville doesn't win a cup before we do or look out lol

Nashville has a great team and it'd be good to see them win. The fans there are passionate, especially in a non-traditional market. But yes, it would be a nightmare around here

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, illWill said:

If you'd rather talk about history that's up to you. I mean, we can make some threads dedicated to the past, I just don't see how the past should creep up into every discussion on this board about the 2017 and future Montreal Canadiens. 

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. 

Also looking at the header of this forum I don't see the faces of the 2017 Montreal Canadiens.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, illWill said:

Hab "fans" down-voting positive posts like 

salt-bae-making-of-meme-116~_v-img__16__

No kidding. Lately I've been upvoting posts not because I think they should be in the positive but because they damn sure don't deserve to be negative. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

No kidding. Lately I've been upvoting posts not because I think they should be in the positive but because they damn sure don't deserve to be negative. 

same.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
11 hours ago, Trizzak said:

The tab almost negates someone from posting. Lazy bastard 

Or show who gave the plus or minus. 

Since this thread title is discussing whether sweeping changes need to me made, I have wondered that since there are not very many French speaking coaches for us to chose from, compared to English speaking, I have to ask why there has not been a major emphasis on making sure that we develop coaches from within. For example, I wonder if Sylvain Lefebvre was considered for even a moment, or was he ever even in the conversation, to replace MT. Somehow I think not. But shouldn't that be an obvious for our AHL head coach? I would think that the three main aspects or priorities of that coaches job description should be:

1. Install and teach a system to the players that the parent club is using so that younger players will learn how to play and be prepared when they are called up.

2. Have the best possible French speaking coach in place in our AHL team so just as the players are being prepared, the coach [coaches] are being prepared and trained to be able to coach the parent club.

3. Win. Develop a winning attitude, game plan and build the team to win in all position.

Shouldn't that be an obvious priority for us since: 1. We must have a French speaking coach.   2. Our team is from Quebec where there are more French speaking coaches in waiting than anywhere in the world.

Why can't/shouldn't we have a great young up and coming French coach in the AHL? Seems pretty obvious to me. Instead.........

• Upvote 2

Julien, Burns, and Therrien all coached AHL teams for Montreal before going to the big leagues. Oh and Cunnyworth but nevermind him.

There's a lot of guys out there but they are not getting any NHL head coach experience and after Carbonneau and Cunnyworth the team has been reluctant to go with someone lacking experience at an NHL level. Even though coaches win in their first and second years quite a lot (at least in Pittsburgh). 

AHL Head Coaches that are French Canadian: Sylvain Lefebvre, Pascal Vincent, Benoit Groulx, Eric Veilleux (everyone except Lefebvre had won a Ron Lapointe trophy for QMJHL coach of the year in the past)

NHL Assistant Coaches that are French Canadian: Terry Murray, Dan Lambert, Martin Gelinas, Jacques Cloutier, Kevin Dineen, Mike Kelly, Clement Jodoin, JJ Daigneault, Dan Lacroix, Marc Crawford (speaks French), Andre Tourigny, Ian Laperriere (I'm going by an outdated list)

So right there is like 16 guys, probably more, who are French Canadian or speak French. Dineen has been shooting for an NHL head coaching gig, but there's a lot of others there who could be AHL coaches for Montreal. The fact that teams like Ottawa and Tampa seem to be getting a lot of really good potential guys that Montreal are skipping on because they stick to Lefebvre is pretty pathetic.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Julien, Burns, and Therrien all coached AHL teams for Montreal before going to the big leagues. Oh and Cunnyworth but nevermind him.

There's a lot of guys out there but they are not getting any NHL head coach experience and after Carbonneau and Cunnyworth the team has been reluctant to go with someone lacking experience at an NHL level. Even though coaches win in their first and second years quite a lot (at least in Pittsburgh). 

AHL Head Coaches that are French Canadian: Sylvain Lefebvre, Pascal Vincent, Benoit Groulx, Eric Veilleux (everyone except Lefebvre had won a Ron Lapointe trophy for QMJHL coach of the year in the past)

NHL Assistant Coaches that are French Canadian: Terry Murray, Dan Lambert, Martin Gelinas, Jacques Cloutier, Kevin Dineen, Mike Kelly, Clement Jodoin, JJ Daigneault, Dan Lacroix, Marc Crawford (speaks French), Andre Tourigny, Ian Laperriere (I'm going by an outdated list)

So right there is like 16 guys, probably more, who are French Canadian or speak French. Dineen has been shooting for an NHL head coaching gig, but there's a lot of others there who could be AHL coaches for Montreal. The fact that teams like Ottawa and Tampa seem to be getting a lot of really good potential guys that Montreal are skipping on because they stick to Lefebvre is pretty pathetic.

Benoit Groulx would be my pick.  Pascal Vincent second.

Since we sucked at the end of the season vacuums clearly aren't the answer and indeed serious commenters or at least commenters with serious issues took issue with some comments issued. 

I need some help here..

As I was saying or naysaying, nay, saying in the comment at issue.. I suspect the forum ghosts failed to appear out of fear of the vacuum. All of which of course suggests a sweep which of course makes some bristle. 

If any of you could follow my admittedly obscure... nay impenetrable line of thought..please seek good professional help..perhaps in emergency rooms..

5 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

Since we sacked at the end vacuums clearly aren't the answer and indeed serious commenters or at least commenters with serious issues took issue with some comments issued. 

I need some help here..

As I was saying or naysaying, nay, saying in the comment at issue.. I suspect the forum ghosts failed to appear out of fear of the vacuum. All of which of course suggests a sweep which of course makes some bristle. 

If any of you could follow my admittedly obscure... nay impenetrable line of thought..please seek good professional help..perhaps in emergency rooms..

In Qc emergency Death will find you before the Doctor see your chart, try Ontario or Alberta first :D

12 minutes ago, ehjay said:

In Qc emergency Death will find you before the Doctor see your chart, try Ontario or Alberta first :D

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/healthcare-wait-times-hit-20-weeks-in-2016-report-1.3171718

Not really.  Ontario, sure, but not Alberta.

22 minutes ago, ehjay said:

I've been to a emergency hospital unit in Quebec.  It's MUCH shorter  wait times than Alberta!  I guess all of our equalization payments allow Quebec to afford better health care than we have

6 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

6 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I've been to a emergency hospital unit in Quebec.  It's MUCH shorter  wait times than Alberta!  I guess all of our equalization payments allow Quebec to afford better health care than we have

I'll be honest I was just talking about Montreal emerg. I would not know anything about anywhere else. I have been lucky enough to not have to go but after what I think I understood from Torontohab's post I might take a trip out to TO :D 

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I've looked into it in the past - it's not an option.

Ya, I think we've gone over this before. 

Only clowns give -1's anyways ;)

21 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Just heard on TSN http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/rapid-fire-with-francois-gagnon-habs-farm-team-1.747690

that Lefebvre will not be with the Laval Rocket. Apparently, the Canadiens are conducting interviews for a new head coach. I am not sure why Lefebvre quit :P

However, I would be happy with Vincent or  Groulx but I think Dineen (didn't know he was French Canadian) would be an excellent hire if he would take the job, Pretty sure Jodoin is out of the running since he just left to " pursue other opportunitites"  Actually, at this point, I don't care who they hire as long as it is not Michel Therrien.

On 5/9/2017 at 2:35 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

I find that by the time I drive to Alberta , quite often I'm better.. or worse. Or neither. 

On 5/9/2017 at 9:20 PM, ehjay said:

I'll be honest I was just talking about Montreal emerg. I would not know anything about anywhere else. I have been lucky enough to not have to go but after what I think I understood from Torontohab's post I might take a trip out to TO :D 

Welcome.. God knows we need more Montrealers in Toronto! Beer's on me.. I'm a sloppy drinker...... :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1