2017 World Championships Thread

dlbalr

2Q==

The 2017 IIHF World Championships are now underway.  They're not exactly featuring a whole lot of Montreal content this time around either as only three players are participating:

Jakub Jerabek - Czech Republic

Andreas Martinsen - Norway
Tomas Plekanec - Czech Republic

HW StatTracker

Schedule/Results

As always, we'll use this thread for any tournament talk.  Since the Habs seem to be once again interested in the international free agent market, this would be a good place to note any potential names of interest as well.

28 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I forgot Martinsen was even a Hab

:lol:

I liked him in the first game he played for us. After that, he became one of the seemingly infinite number of disposable fourth liners that this organization has marched through its revolving door over the past decade.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

USA and Canada must have finalized their rosters early. No Habs or Jackets on either team and I couldn't find anything about them turning down offers. 

Canada still has a spot on defence open.  I'm not sure about the US though.

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

Didn't make an offer. 

It's strange that the Italians and Germans got lit up like that against a powerhouse Russian team 

• Upvote 3

I didn't see anything about last year anywhere in this thread. My statement was in response to the post above about how he got 4 points against Italy and 2 against Germany. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, illWill said:

I didn't see anything about last year anywhere in this thread. My statement was in response to the post above about how he got 4 points against Italy and 2 against Germany. 

18 points in 10 games last year.
led the entire tournament in points.

Was named to the tournament all star team. 

It wasn't in this thread, but it was talked about how he dominated this tournament in the other threads about trying to sign him. 

Performances during this tournament are not totally relevant IMO.

His points production is inflated by the fact that he would never play that much and get that quality icetime with Malkin and Ovechkin on the team.

17 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Performances during this tournament are not totally relevant IMO.

His points production is inflated by the fact that he would never play that much and get that quality icetime with Malkin and Ovechkin on the team.

So he's not as good as Malkin and Ovechkin? great.

Does that mean he couldn't be better than Philip Danault?

No one is saying he can do this in a best on best tournament. 

But he can do it in a tournament that has a lot of pretty good NHL players, and he performed better than many NHL players in the tourney. Many of whom are also legit top 6 players on their team. 

I wonder if Stephane Da Costa may garner some interest this offseason.  He wasn't quite ready to be a top six player back with Ottawa a few years back but has put up decent numbers in three (injury riddled) seasons in the KHL, averaging just over a point per game.  He's also off to a nice start at the Worlds with four goals through the first three games.  His contract is up now and is now eligible for NHL free agency (he's 27) so the time might be right for him to take another crack at an NHL job.  He wouldn't solve the number one centre issue but he could be a secondary piece without needing to break the bank. 

(He's also not bad at the faceoff dot, coming in at 55.5% in his three KHL seasons.)

20 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I wonder if Stephane Da Costa may garner some interest this offseason.  He wasn't quite ready to be a top six player back with Ottawa a few years back but has put up decent numbers in three (injury riddled) seasons in the KHL, averaging just over a point per game.  He's also off to a nice start at the Worlds with four goals through the first three games.  His contract is up now and is now eligible for NHL free agency (he's 27) so the time might be right for him to take another crack at an NHL job.  He wouldn't solve the number one centre issue but he could be a secondary piece without needing to break the bank. 

(He's also not bad at the faceoff dot, coming in at 55.5% in his three KHL seasons.)

At 1 - 1.5 million as a roll of the dice, sure. 

But not as a move that precludes you from getting other centres. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

At 1 - 1.5 million as a roll of the dice, sure. 

But not as a move that precludes you from getting other centres. 

That's about the money I think it'd take to get him.  He doesn't have the track record to command a big ticket contract.

One of the bigger mysteries in international hockey over the past few years to me is how Leonardo Genoni hasn't got an NHL look.  I know he's a bit undersized for a goalie but he has been dominant in the Swiss league for a long time now and hasn't looked out of place in international competitions.  He had another strong outing today against Canada as the Swiss pulled off the comeback win in OT.  He has two more years on his current deal but someone would be wise to give him an NHL deal when it's done.

In 5-2 win Plekanec managed to get zero points again.

Is he basically done at 34 and we should expect another 10g season with Habs coming up?

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Is he basically done at 34 and we should expect another 10g season with Habs coming up?

Interesting you bring it up because just about a half hour ago while I was thinking about our center depth, I  was wondering if it was at all possible that we could hope for some type of bounce back season from him after the way he played this year. 

On paper something like Thornton-Galchenyuk-Plekanec or Thornton-Danault-Plekanec really doesn't look that bad up the middle. It has potential to be a lot better than people feel, mainly because this past season was a perfect storm with Plekanec and Galchenyuk.

Thornton might not be the right guy but place whoever we acquire there and as long as they are a top 6 center, it still doesn't look too bad on paper. The problem is Plekanec regressed quite nicely this season and Galchenyuk's life is confusing. 

Guest Stogey24
44 minutes ago, DON said:

Remember when you would fight tooth and nail to defend him. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Declining geezers sometimes adjust and have a bounce-back year, but yes, I'm guessing he is done like dinner. Certainly a good GM would not expect much offence from him going forward.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Declining geezers sometimes adjust and have a bounce-back year, but yes, I'm guessing he is done like dinner. Certainly a good GM would not expect much offence from him going forward.

Hey, I said that pleks should have been traded last year.  I can't even see vegas taking him in the expansion draft if Beaulieu is available.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think he's done, but it is silly to look at this world championships for reasons why. 

We just saw him have a 28 point regular season, while playing decent minutes and with good wingers.  I don't need to follow what he does at the World Championships.  Nothing about that 2 week sample size is relevant compared to his shit season.