Is it time for NHL to make changes to the draft??

Habsfan1989

Was just thinking that it's time for the nhl to make changes to the draft to stop teams from getting the top pick over and over. 

There is flaws in the draft and the new way to build a team is to tank for 3-4 years ,and get as many top five picks as you can. It isn't fare to the teams that don't do this a try and make the playoffs every year, like Montreal.

i think that every 3 years the nhl should put all nhl teams in the lottery so they have a chance at the top pick. Like they did in the lock out year of Sid's draft.

the points for the season would just be used for playoff seeds.

i think it could eventually even out the talent for nhl teams.

Nothing wrong with tanking.

At this point it honestly should be encouraged. If 10 teams were always poop because they tanked, 10 teams were in their prime, and the final 10 were figuring themselves out, we'd have a lot more scoring and a lot less parity.

Instead we got 25 teams who think they can make the playoffs and with the right hot goalie or hot streak they can, and only 5 teams that end up sucking which everyone complains about that they suck on purpose.

They just changed things two years ago as well that finishing last only gives you about ~20% chance of top pick and ~50% in the top 3.  We saw Colorado fall to 4th.  The advantages of tanking have been greatly reduced. 

Plus if your idea is to "spread talent around the league"... wouldn't the worst teams need the best youth?

Everything is wrong with tanking.

It's a plague in every sports.

We want the Wheel !!!

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nbas-possible-solution-for-tanking-good-bye-to-the-lottery-hello-to-the-wheel/

• Upvote 1

The proposed method doesn't work because two of the three years you keep it the way it's been. In this scenario, it's not fair to the teams who finished near the bottom on that third year since teams benefited the prior two seasons. 

I would never support the idea of the Habs tanking but I don't really think there are teams out there who go into a year and plan this as a method. Tanking only becomes a thought three  quarters of the way into the year when a team has been struggling. We should be happy that the Habs rarely have had to tank and that we do have a shot at the playoffs most years. Not think it's unfair that other teams are able to.

52 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They just changed things two years ago as well that finishing last only gives you about ~20% chance of top pick and ~50% in the top 3.  We saw Colorado fall to 4th.  The advantages of tanking have been greatly reduced. 

Plus if your idea is to "spread talent around the league"... wouldn't the worst teams need the best youth?

I think that if TO had dropped down in last year's draft, there'd be a much higher awareness of the dangers of dropping. Unfortunately the Matthews pick reinforced the message that tanking rewards you with a franchise player, but that's not really an accurate message any more, even in years where such players are available.

10 minutes ago, dreegking said:

No. Good as it is. What about evening the playing field by making the Habs a bottom quarter salary spender instead of an annual top quarter budgeted team? What about them apples? 

Are you going to leave them facing the Quebec Tax issue as well?

7 hours ago, Chris said:

Just relegate the worst few teams in the league like they do in soccer, 

If expansion continues, I would be a fan of relegation. 40 teams. Bottom 20 drop to tier 2 League. Draft lottery for bottom 20 teams. Tanking would be costly then. 

45 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

If expansion continues, I would be a fan of relegation. 40 teams. Bottom 20 drop to tier 2 League. Draft lottery for bottom 20 teams. Tanking would be costly then. 

I can't see it. Too foreign to the North American experience. And it's a pretty drastic change just to deal with the problem of a small number of teams tanking, usually after January.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I can't see it. Too foreign to the North American experience. And it's a pretty drastic change just to deal with the problem of a small number of teams tanking, usually after January.

NHL has no desire to see a team in a big market get relegated.  The TV hit of relegating the Rangers in the US, or the Leafs, or the Habs in Canada would be immense.  There is just no desire to see that happen.  TV execs would lose their minds if this was possible and it would cost the NHL huge as that risk would have to be factored into any TV deals. 

On 5/31/2017 at 4:34 PM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I would never support the idea of the Habs tanking but I don't really think there are teams out there who go into a year and plan this as a method. 

I would argue Buffalo did to get McDavid. There's no way they looked at that roster and thought "we can win tonight." Their loss in the lottery would have been awesome if it weren't for Edmonton.

2 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I would argue Buffalo did to get McDavid. There's no way they looked at that roster and thought "we can win tonight." Their loss in the lottery would have been awesome if it weren't for Edmonton.

What both Toronto (Matthews) and Buffalo (for McDavid, settled for Eichal)  did was a disgrace.  They were fielding rosters that would have trouble winning in the AHL.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What both Toronto (Matthews) and Buffalo (for McDavid, settled for Eichal)  did was a disgrace.  They were fielding rosters that would have trouble winning in the AHL.

Every time a goalie had 3 good games in a row Buffalo traded him away for a worse goalie. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Every time a goalie had 3 good games in a row Buffalo traded him away for a worse goalie. 

well you got to admit they followed their plan. Just didn't get the result they wanted.:D

On 5/31/2017 at 4:11 PM, JoeLassister said:

Everything is wrong with tanking.

It's a plague in every sports.

We want the Wheel !!!

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nbas-possible-solution-for-tanking-good-bye-to-the-lottery-hello-to-the-wheel/

I'm a fan of the wheel.

16 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

This too is something I've talked about. I think at first people would be upset and any time a major team fell to the second league there would be controversy but playing for the secondary championship would get fans excited still. 

If we had the 40 team/two league then I wouldn't do the wheel. Because if you are bottom 4, you can't compete for the cup for another year so why worry about tanking?

I just think winning a championship would mean so much more if teams knew that one bad year could mean you can't compete for the Cup for a year as you have to get out of the second league. And fans of middling franchises would celebrate huge if their team became top four in the secondary league to move up to compete for the Stanley Cup.

But it'll never happen.

A league, B league  systems don't work with a salary cap/floor system.

There is no way that you make the same kind of money in a B league for a full season. Therefore, you could not afford your big money players.

It doesn't go along with a league who get players through a annual draft either.

• Upvote 1

I have no issue with draft lottery as is. Seems to be working just fine and they say Habs were darn close to moving up last year, but Sergachev may end up as very fine pick anyways.