Expansion Draft Discussion, Emelin to Vegas

dlbalr

This Vegas thing is really going to shake up the league. Bad timing on trying to go for a 3-peat if you're the Pens, although they'll have their core. Even MAF, coincidently. Who knows where the Pens would have been without him when Murray was injured. I saw a picture of him as the Pens were jumping off the bench when the final buzzer went and he didn't even have a smile on his face. Maybe it was just the timing... But it makes a little sense now. 

Washington Post got their hands on the list.

Alexander Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Andre Burakovsky, Marcus Johansson, Lars Eller and Tom Wilson.
John Carlson, Matt Niskanen et Dmitry Orlov

Braden Holtby

Habs protect Byron, Danault, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Shaw, Benn, Petry, Weber, Price

No real surprises there. The debate was only Shaw or Hudon at this point with Beaulieu out of the picture. 

Here's the full list: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-reveals-protection-lists-ahead-of-expansion-draft-1.782246

42 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

Habs protect Byron, Danault, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Shaw, Benn, Petry, Weber, Price

No real surprises there. The debate was only Shaw or Hudon at this point with Beaulieu out of the picture. 

So we are going to loose Hudon :( Why not just keep Beaulieu and let Vegas take him instead?

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

So we are going to loose Hudon :( Why not just keep Beaulieu and let Vegas take him instead?

One of dela Rose, Emelin or Plekanec could also be headed to Vegas, but Hudon does seems like most likely. Will be interesting to hear what side deals are made by teams. Emelin or Plekanec could be seen as good trade deadline options for next season.

For those wondering (and I've had a few PMs about this), I am putting together an expansion pool.  But there are a lot of names to type out so it will be a little while yet before it's on the site.

Here is the thing.... who is more valuable as an asset. 

Hudon today does not have more value than Beaulieu.  If you trade him, what are you getting?  A third round pick.

Vegas has already shown they want as many picks as possible. 

So why not take Plekanec, play him til February, and flip him at the deadline.  A good defensive centre, on an expiring deal as a rental is worth more than a 3rd round pick, and his contract is no longer as big an issue at the trade deadline. 

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Here is the thing.... who is more valuable as an asset. 

Hudon today does not have more value than Beaulieu.  If you trade him, what are you getting?  A third round pick.

Vegas has already shown they want as many picks as possible. 

So why not take Plekanec, play him til February, and flip him at the deadline.  A good defensive centre, on an expiring deal as a rental is worth more than a 3rd round pick, and his contract is no longer as big an issue at the trade deadline. 

i cannot understand protecting Plekanec, who is a bottom 6 C at a ridiculous cap hit. Whether Vegas would claim him is another question.

I don't like the idea of losing Hudon who has the ability to play centre.  He could potentially fill the #2 spot with a small cap hit but he never will get a chance now unless Vegas goes another direction.  Shaw did nothing for us and getting rid of that salary would have left more options open.  

What would it cost for us to have vegas take Emelin and pleks, and draft and trade either jack Johnson (1 yr left), dumba, scandella, Methot.  I would have considered bogasian as a stop gap if he didn't have so many years left at his cap hit.

it would vary with the player obviously, but could we improve our D without having to give up Galchenyuk.  For a dumba or methot, could a 1st rounder and hudon and de la rose get it done for them to take pleks as their pick and also include Emelin as part of the trade?

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

For those wondering (and I've had a few PMs about this), I am putting together an expansion pool.  But there are a lot of names to type out so it will be a little while yet before it's on the site.

Here's the pool link: http://www.habsworld.net/2017/06/hw-expansion-draft-pool/

1 hour ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

I don't like the idea of losing Hudon who has the ability to play centre.  He could potentially fill the #2 spot with a small cap hit but he never will get a chance now unless Vegas goes another direction.  Shaw did nothing for us and getting rid of that salary would have left more options open.  

Hudon isn't really a centre though.  They tried it for a bit in 2015-16 and it didn't go anywhere.  He may have had the odd game this season there by default but he was predominantly a left winger.  Even if Vegas doesn't take him, he's not a candidate for the 2C spot.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Neech said:

Losing Hudon instead of Shaw or Byron might look pretty bad a couple years down the line. 

I really do think Hudon is underappreciated by Habs management and some fans. At least if we lose him, LW is currently a position of depth for the Habs right now.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Here's the pool link: http://www.habsworld.net/2017/06/hw-expansion-draft-pool/

Hudon isn't really a centre though.  They tried it for a bit in 2015-16 and it didn't go anywhere.  He may have had the odd game this season there by default but he was predominantly a left winger.  Even if Vegas doesn't take him, he's not a candidate for the 2C spot.

I think it would be worth a try seeing as he has experience in the position and there's a lack of anyone else to try at centre.  If it works then it's a great gamble that pays off.  He's a playmaker first and he's defensively responsible.  Put him between two scorers and you got a good 2nd line.  Plus getting rid of Shaw's contract would make keeping Hudon protected even more sensible.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

i cannot understand protecting Plekanec, who is a bottom 6 C at a ridiculous cap hit. Whether Vegas would claim him is another question.

We aren't protecting him. 

I think Vegas is going to take him. 

Remember Vegas will have lots of forwards and Hudon is waiver eligible next year.  He needs to make their team or they lose him for nothing at that point. 

I think Plekanec is the move here if the strategy is just load up on picks. 

1 hour ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

I think it would be worth a try seeing as he has experience in the position and there's a lack of anyone else to try at centre.  If it works then it's a great gamble that pays off.  He's a playmaker first and he's defensively responsible.  Put him between two scorers and you got a good 2nd line.  Plus getting rid of Shaw's contract would make keeping Hudon protected even more sensible.

If Hudon at C didn't work in the AHL and they stopped the experiment, why is it going to work in the NHL?

I think now is the time to make a deal with vegas to secure a defence man. 

Throw first round pick(s)and players like Big Mac and Sherbak at them to make a deal.

For Sami vatenen or Dumba or scandalla 

there is a big time opportunity here to improve the club without removing any key pieces. 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

If Hudon at C didn't work in the AHL and they stopped the experiment, why is it going to work in the NHL?

It might work because Julien will be the coach instead of Lefebvre ?

I don't recall any expansion team having as much power as Vegas has right now. It seems like they will have a competitive team right off the bat and will also have a ton of draft picks. This isn't your father's expansion team 

5 minutes ago, illWill said:

I don't recall any expansion team having as much power as Vegas has right now. It seems like they will have a competitive team right off the bat and will also have a ton of draft picks. This isn't your father's expansion team 

$500 million likely had a lot to do with it.  It also helps that they're the only team incoming, it gives them a lot more control over the process than if they were alternating picks between two teams in a live draft scenario.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

$500 million likely had a lot to do with it.  It also helps that they're the only team incoming, it gives them a lot more control over the process than if they were alternating picks between two teams in a live draft scenario.

Also the cap implications in play now that weren't back in the 90's. There are lots of good players that are exposed only because their paycheck is more than their cap value. 

• dlbalr changed the title to Expansion Draft Discussion, Emelin to Vegas