Expansion Draft Discussion, Emelin to Vegas

dlbalr

Maybe its better having a decent D overpayed at 4.1M than trading him and retaining half his salary and have nothing for 2.05M...

I kinda hope we trade for Emelin to return here at half salary. Offer a pick for him.

On 6/18/2017 at 9:45 PM, illWill said:

I don't recall any expansion team having as much power as Vegas has right now. It seems like they will have a competitive team right off the bat and will also have a ton of draft picks. This isn't your father's expansion team 

They turbocharged the process by reducing the number of players teams could protect. In the 90's and 00's expansion drafts, you could protect 5 D and 9 forwards plus a goalie. The 3 and 7 from this draft was only for teams protecting two goalies back then. Vegas should be much more competitive then traditional expansion teams.

Wow, if it is indeed Emelin that's a bullet dodged and some salary relief.  Now it remains to be seen if Hudon is just another French prospect that I overrate wishfully, or if he can be effective out of the gate like Lekhonen last year.

45 minutes ago, Neech said:

Wow, if it is indeed Emelin that's a bullet dodged and some salary relief.  Now it remains to be seen if Hudon is just another French prospect that I overrate wishfully, or if he can be effective out of the gate like Lekhonen last year.

And a bigger WOW is that it didn't cost Habs a pick!

1 hour ago, illWill said:

I think Emelin at 4.1m is a better value than Plekanec at 6m. If they select one of those players it will help our cap hit, but the downside is those positions are already our weakness

I'm alright with losing either of them even though I like both of them but we better be putting that cap space to good use. We're a worse team as soon as we lose either of those players regardless of the cap implications. 

I actually think losing Plekanec will/would have a bigger impact than people realize and possibly more than losing Emelin. Hopefully I'm wrong since he wasn't good last season but does Danault now become our shutdown center?  

4 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I'm alright with losing either of them even though I like both of them but we better be putting that cap space to good use. We're a worse team as soon as we lose either of those players regardless of the cap implications. 

I actually think losing Plekanec will/would have a bigger impact than people realize and possibly more than losing Emelin. Hopefully I'm wrong since he wasn't good last season but does Danault now become our shutdown center?  

Wont know for another week and 1/2 how all shakes out. I think they have $23m to sign the three Russian free agents and have $6m left over...so will they add a top pairing LH d-man and a top six centre (losing Galchenyuk of course)? Or simply add a top pairing d-man and go with mixture of centres in top six...but keep Galchenyuk?

I'm fine with Emelin gone. 

We already know we are acquiring a LHDman  so the depth chart is 

New Guy

Markov

Jerabek

Davidson

Keep in mind as well Benn is on the right side and can flip back to LHD if one of Juulsen, Lernout or Redmond is in the lineup.

So yeah we have to pick up one guy, but losing Emelin doesn't change that need.   He was an overpaid 4.1 million 3rd pair guy. 

• dlbalr changed the title to Expansion Draft Discussion, Emelin to Vegas

I'm sorry to see Emelin go. He was one of my favorite Habs before his knee injury. Since then, he hasn't been as effective.

PS...all of these leaks are a serious buzzkill. Couldn't they have just waited? With the draft being what it is, hockey fans have free agency, and that is it until preseason.

7 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I'm sorry to see Emelin go. He was one of my favorite Habs before his knee injury. Since then, he hasn't been as effective.

PS...all of these leaks are a serious buzzkill. Couldn't they have just waited? With the draft being what it is, hockey fans have free agency, and that is it until preseason.

He was a good player for a while - it's just that the contract was iffy.  I think a lot of people will miss him and his physical style.

As for the leaks, I wish they'd have just done a half hour show to announce it or issue a press release this morning.  This way, I know who the Habs are picking (and can have the HW piece ready to post when it's announced) without suffering through the total joke of an NHL Awards show. 

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He was a good player for a while - it's just that the contract was iffy.  I think a lot of people will miss him and his physical style.

As for the leaks, I wish they'd have just done a half hour show to announce it or issue a press release this morning.  This way, I know who the Habs are picking (and can have the HW piece ready to post when it's announced) without suffering through the total joke of an NHL Awards show. 

I think they should have announced it immediately after the players found out they were being selected. I'm sure angry players were all too happy to leak. Or perhaps the US State Department and 97 intelligence agencies got a hold of the list.

Guest Stogey24
13 minutes ago, Chris said:

Me too, He was one of my favorites too.

his physical play will be sorely missed. 

He single handedly lost this team games on multiple occasions too

I always appreciated Emelin's blood and guts game, but in a cap system you can't carry contracts like that. Hopefully the team replaces him with a guy who can make plays and move the puck. Knowing MB he'll go out and get Johnny Oduya.

I really liked him but most of my favorite moments of his were against the Bruins when Lucic was on the team. Now they're both out west. 

This has been a rough off season for our back end. The good news is that now that it seems as though we have to pick up a defenseman, we have the opportunity to upgrade our defense from what it was. The player we acquire is going to have to be someone better than Beaulieu or Emelin though. Those were both of our test runs on the top pairing prior to Markov being placed there so I'd like a solution. 

My personal opinion is that we now need a top 6 center but a top 2 left shooting defenseman. If we get that top 2, (easier said than done) our defense is fine.

Also our D is not as bad as some say.  Markov is likely re-signed.

_________ - Weber

Markov - Petry

Jerabek - Benn

Davidson

The callups would be Redmond, Lernout, Juulsen (if any is called up, Benn flips to LD). 

We just need one addition to be honest.