Expansion Draft Discussion, Emelin to Vegas

dlbalr

Love

Picking Perron. He'll get flipped for a first rounder for sure.

Same goes with Neal. Shocked Nashville didn't try to protect him.

I like Nosek a lot and think he was definitely making the Red Wings in 17-18. He was excellent for Grand Rapids in the playoffs. 

Fleury will either be good trade bait next year or he might stay on for longer. Good guy to be the first face of the franchise.

Schmidt and Theodore are good D to want to build on.

Garrison will be first round pick trade bait

I like picking up Reilly Smith. He's a bit like Michael Ryder. They gave up nothing for him and just have to pay him $5M for a while. He's gonna keep scoring a lot of goals in Vegas, and it'll eventually convince a team to trade a lot for him.

Pundits absolutely love Mark Methot. I'm sure that'll be GMs as well to give too much for him.

Meh

Good on them to take some bad contracts like Clarkson and Grabovski for draft picks.

Marchessault was either a product of first line time or he's a late bloomer.

Dislike

So many one dimensional defencemen who can't score like Emelin, Stoner, Sbisa, and Merill taking up a lot of money. They need to move them. Most are on one year deals anyway.

Eakin is a textbook McPhee pick.

Oscar Lindberg is trash. Same with Griffin Reinhart.

Hate

Going with Haula/Tuch over Dumba

Pickard and Berube? Really? Wow I guess you really do want to suck for like 5 years. You could have had Raanta and you took Lindberg?

McPhee could have taken Enstrom hostage. He didn't want to play in Vegas but Winnipeg was willing to risk him being taken. Instead, they pick up unrestricted free agent Chris Thorburn. Who is 34. All because Winnipeg was willing to swap picks and add a third. Absolute garbage. I don't care if it's playing nice. 

Overall: C+. Vegas won't be competitive for many years, but maybe they can be competitive around 2022 when most of these guys are gone and it's all about their draft picks. Maybe I'll be wrong about going with Tuch over Dumba. I know the reasoning but I still see Dumba as the more valuable piece. We all thought with THE PLEDGE he had the league by the balls but instead he just wanted to play nice with everyone. I hope he enjoys his three first round picks in a weak draft. Hope he doesn't Boston them.

Machine, that is exactly how I feel about how it shook down, except maybe I'd call the marchessault pick a love. After all, it's not like he has a big contract if he doesn't perform as well.

The Haula/Tuch versus Dumba? Don't get it. I feel like they could have got Tuch and a lot more than Haula if they were convinced not to take Dumba. Minnesota gets off with minimal losses, though Tuch is a good prospect.

Would have probably taken Mrazek instead of Nosek too, just think he could land a lot more in a trade. As as far as I'm concerned there are teams looking for starters, they could have taken Fleury, Mrazek, Raanta, and got more back in trades. 

Ya some of those players had me scratching my head. I ended up thinking, "you picked him when all those good guys were available? There must be a trade." them there was no trade. Haula and Thorburn come to mind. 

57 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Ya some of those players had me scratching my head. I ended up thinking, "you picked him when all those good guys were available? There must be a trade." them there was no trade. Haula and Thorburn come to mind. 

Minnesota was basically, "We're gonna expose Dumba and protect Brodin so take Haula and we will give you Tuch"

Winnipeg was basically, "We're gonna protect a crippled Tyler Myers and leave Enstrom available but he doesn't want to play for you so take a UFA Thorburn and we'll let you trade up in the draft."

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

LVK got a Haul'a assets to lay off Dumba et al. The only pick that really surprised me, other than Emelin was Engllyand (sp ) from Calgary. Must have been as he is close as they could get to a local

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Minnesota was basically, "We're gonna expose Dumba and protect Brodin so take Haula and we will give you Tuch"

Winnipeg was basically, "We're gonna protect a crippled Tyler Myers and leave Enstrom available but he doesn't want to play for you so take a UFA Thorburn and we'll let you trade up in the draft."

Oh yes. Forgot the trade up. I didn't really over analyze this whole thing, but I did look through the unprotected list and felt they could have iced a more competitive team. Lot of free agents I'm there too so meh