Canadiens Sign MARTINSEN

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Why?  He was useless.  I'd rather see JDLR, McCarron, Hudon, etc... on that fourth line.  He really brought nothing to the table. 

And what about Andrighetto? McCarron I won't argue with but I'd rather see Martinsen on the 4th line than the other two. 

8 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

And what about Andrighetto? McCarron I won't argue with but I'd rather see Martinsen on the 4th line than the other two. 

You mean the Andrighetto that now plays for Colorado?

CJ is a different coach than MT, he wants big tough players who can skate, fore check and play physical. 

As for being useless, he had as many goals as Pacioretty did in the playoffs

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Why?  He was useless.  I'd rather see JDLR, McCarron, Hudon, etc... on that fourth line.  He really brought nothing to the table. 

What about the press box? Martinson is better suited to the 13th forward role than any of those 3.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Chris said:

CJ is a different coach than MT, he wants big tough players who can skate, fore check and play physical. 

As for being useless, he had as many goals as Pacioretty did in the playoffs

Big, tough players aren't an issue. 

There are plenty of big tough players who aren't useless though. 

This guy wasn't even good at battling for loose pucks along the boards, or battling for space in front of the net.  Sure he was good at hitting with reckless abandon, but using his size to get control of the puck wasn't exactly a strength. 

Just now, Trizzak said:

What about the press box? Martinson is better suited to the 13th forward role than any of those 3.

2 of those 3 need waivers to go to the minors next year, and thus need to be part of the rosters.... (Hudon and JDLR)

1 hour ago, mineral said:

You mean the Andrighetto that now plays for Colorado?

Yes, I meant that we traded Andrighetto for Martinsen and no one seemed to mind. Would people have preferred that Andrighetto play on the 4th line over Martinsen as well? Martinsen is what he is, a 4th liner. Andrighetto, Hudon and DLR are all 2nd or 3rd line suited players with the exception being maybe DLR who hasn't proven anything as of yet and (McCaron). I don't think Hudon or Andrighetto bring anything to the table given 4th line minutes.  Martinsen, DLR, McCarron all have some size and I still don't mind Martinsen over (especially) De la Rose or McCarron as of now.

13 minutes ago, DON said:

Kinda surprising signing.

I figured they'd offer him another deal though I thought he may take a high two-way provision.  I think they're viewing him as insurance more than anything and if everyone's healthy at the end of the preseason, he's likely going to be on waivers.  I wouldn't be surprised if his role next year was what Matteau's was supposed to be this season - make a push for a end-of-roster spot in the preseason and be a serviceable fourth line call-up when injuries arise while being a decent checker in the minors.  (Unfortunately for Matteau he only checked off 1/3 of those boxes.)

13 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Apparently the Habs were short a forward to leave unprotected for the expansion draft, hence the Martinson re-signing now. 

They weren't. 

In Chris Terry and Torrey Mitchell they fulfilled the requirement... (and thats assuming they protect plekanec, who i don't think they will, but could also fill one of the two necessary forwards). 

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Apparently the Habs were short a forward to leave unprotected for the expansion draft, hence the Martinson re-signing now. 

Martinsen is actually exempt from the draft having only played in North American professional hockey for two years.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

They weren't. 

In Chris Terry and Torrey Mitchell they fulfilled the requirement... (and thats assuming they protect plekanec, who i don't think they will, but could also fill one of the two necessary forwards). 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Martinsen is actually exempt from the draft having only played in North American professional hockey for two years.

Oh, then I don't know what the people I read were thinking... other than grasping at a justification.

Glad to hear that MB is hard at work addressing our most glaring need.  All he has to do is sign 2 more like Martinson and we're all set.  We can have 3 solid lines of 4th liners.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I figured they'd offer him another deal though I thought he may take a high two-way provision.  I think they're viewing him as insurance more than anything and if everyone's healthy at the end of the preseason, he's likely going to be on waivers.  I wouldn't be surprised if his role next year was what Matteau's was supposed to be this season - make a push for a end-of-roster spot in the preseason and be a serviceable fourth line call-up when injuries arise while being a decent checker in the minors.  (Unfortunately for Matteau he only checked off 1/3 of those boxes.)

Not a big deal either way but Martinsen is better than Matteau in my opinion. I know you're not comparing the two in that way but I think Martinsen may check off more than one of those boxes. Then again, I kind of see him as the offensive version of where Barberio was in terms of their respective positions on the depth chart and he's gone. I prefer the Martinsen type over the Mitchells and Flynns on the 4th line but I guess that's like comparing 2014 sludge to 2017 sludge. 

7 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Not a big deal either way but Martinsen is better than Matteau in my opinion. I know you're not comparing the two in that way but I think Martinsen may check off more than one of those boxes. Then again, I kind of see him as the offensive version of where Barberio was in terms of their respective positions on the depth chart and he's gone. I prefer the Martinsen type over the Mitchells and Flynns on the 4th line but I guess that's like comparing 2014 sludge to 2017 sludge. 

I think Martinsen can check more of those boxes as well (mind you Matteau set the bar pretty low in his first full season in the organization).  If they do start him in the minors (assuming he clears waivers), he's not a bad call-up option to have down there when the time comes to bring someone up when injuries hit.

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Glad to hear that MB is hard at work addressing our most glaring need.  All he has to do is sign 2 more like Martinson and we're all set.  We can have 3 solid lines of 4th liners.

:lol:

Garbage in, garbage out. In a few years only the most hard core fan will remember his name.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

:lol:

Garbage in, garbage out. In a few years only the most hard core fan will remember his name.

He will join Brad Staubitz, Mike Brown, Davis Drewiske, and Eric Tangradi.

"The Sandpaper Hall of Fame"

I could find 20 posts on the Internet for every one of those guys that had people praising their play because they thought the Habs needed to get tougher. Heck I even was easy on Drewiske. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He will join Brad Staubitz, Mike Brown, Davis Drewiske, and Eric Tangradi.

"The Sandpaper Hall of Fame"

I could find 20 posts on the Internet for every one of those guys that had people praising their play because they thought the Habs needed to get tougher. Heck I even was easy on Drewiske. 

Tangradi should have been kept for the farm  

Martinsen isn't like Staubitz, Brown or Drewiske. Staubitz and Brown are fighters who average(d) over 2 penalty minutes a game throughout their careers. Drewiske is a defenseman. Martinsen averages less than a minute a game.

The main thing similar between the players are their salaries, size as well as in some cases their point totals in the NHL. Their style of play is different though. 

For those of you who don't remember him that well as has been claimed the thing he brings to the table that those players didn't, along with his physicality, is his speed. Everyone talks about how important speed is in today's NHL and for a big guy, he can skate pretty well for a 4th liner with size. 

Not a big deal either way but I'm fine with it. Martinsen was on a terribly managed Colorado team so there's a little bit of hope (as far as hope goes for a 4th liner) if he really is a Julien type player. In 2014-15, he was also the 16th leading scorer in the DEL with 41 points in 50 games, tied with former Hab, Glen Metropolit. :lol: