2017-18 lineup could be?

titanfan

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Honestly why not offer sheet Draisatl for 9-9.8 mill a year, and immediately have him our 1st line centre if EDM didn't match? We lose 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd I believe. We sign a young, 20 year old who will almost certainly have more impact than those 4 picks. We could even try out Galchenyuk in the 2nd line role with easier minutes. Danault/Shaw/Flynn and Mitchell could take some of the hard minutes as well at centre.

Top 9 of:

Pacioretty - Draisaitl - Radulov

Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Byron - Danault - Shaw

That's honestly a really good top 9 all of a sudden. 

Defence:

Markov -  Weber

Beaulieu - Petry

Jerabek - ?

We could optionally trade Beaulieu and keep Benn in the draft. I'm assuming Vegas would take Beaulieu if left exposed. 

And how did you get rid of Plekanec $6M and Emelin  $4.1M ?

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Below 9.8 is only 2 1sts.

I'm not sure if forego 4 firsts. That's seriously impacting your prospect pool for the next half decade. 2 firsts yes.

also, wouldn't 7 years be the maximum since we don't have Draisaitls rights? I'd do the 7. Whatever it takes 9-9.8 mill that means EDM doesn't match. 

Number of years determines number of picks. But, yeah, we'd only be able to do 7 years.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Yup, thats why i was asking the years. 

Interesting. So a 7x7 is the lowest that would fall under the two firsts. 7x7 = 49/5 = 9.8 mill a year

EDM absolutely matches that. Which means I would offer a 9-9.8 over 5 years.

Also as for Plex, best case, we manage to get Vegas to take him, potentially by trading them a few picks/prsopects. Emelin..? Unsure. Can't see him being traded easily.

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

So we are also trading picks and prospects to get rid of plek, in addition to the picks needed to get Draisatl.

Everyone is going to lose out during the expansion draft, besides Vegas of course. We have quite a few seconds over the next few years. Its a matter of asking what you would rather lose? Nate, or say a second and some prospect if necessary for them to take Plex. We have a win now team, we might as well actually win now. 

Pacioretty  Danault  Radulov

Drouin  Galchenyuk  Gallagher

Lehkonen Plekanec Byron

Carr  Mitchell  Martinesen

Beaulieu  Weber

Markov  Petry

Emelin  Benn/Davidson  Jerabek

Problem is Habs brass says Galchenyuk ain't no centerman.  

On 2017-06-15 at 3:35 PM, kaos said:

Pacioretty  Danault  Radulov

Drouin  Galchenyuk  Gallagher

Lehkonen Plekanec Byron

Beaulieu  Weber

Markov  Petry

Emelin  Benn/Davidson  Jerabek

Problem is Habs brass says Galchenyuk ain't no centerman.  

I would love to see:

Pacioretty  Danault  Gallagher

Drouin  Galchenyuk  Radulov

Lehkonen Plekanec Byron

I think the line of Drouin, Galchenyuk, Radulov would be a beast

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I would love to see:

Lehkonen Plekanec Byron

I think the line of Drouin, Galchenyuk, Radulov would be a beast

Da auto on the top two lines is insane and keeping pleks is plain stupid

Guest Stogey24
6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I would love to see:

Lehkonen Plekanec Byron

I think the line of Drouin, Galchenyuk, Radulov would be a 

There is no way Beregvin goes into next season looking like that. Its basically the exact same line up as last year. 

Bergy's  career is on the line at this point. He can't just coast into next season like he has in previous year, using some bullshit excuse about players being too expensive 

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind if the team looks like this next year and we go all in for a cup run

pacioretty-Thornton-radulov 

drouin-galchenyuk-yakupov 

lehkonen-danault-gallagher 

byron-Mitchell-shaw

alzner- Weber 

markov-petry 

schlemko-benn

price

i think that's a much deeper roster and one that could make a cup run maybe even win it.

4 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Say what you want, I think that second line could do some damage 

I'd love to see it, but even if we did sign yakapov and give galchenyuk a shot at centre, can you see Julien putting three guys who are all weak defensively on one line?

Guest Stogey24
43 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'd love to see it, but even if we did sign yakapov and give galchenyuk a shot at centre, can you see Julien putting three guys who are all weak defensively on one line?

True. Probably not 

Here's my prediction at next year's lineup:

Pacioretty - Nugent-Hopkins - Radulov

Drouin - Danault - Galchenyuk

Lehkonen - Bonino - Shaw

Martinsen - Mitchell - Byron

De La Rose

Markov - Weber

Schlemko - Petry

Davidson - Benn

Jerabek

Price

Montoya

*Note: Gallagher traded for Nugent-Hopkins, Plekanec traded for draft pick (50% salary retained)

1 hour ago, JGC21 said:

Here's my prediction at next year's lineup:

Pacioretty - Nugent-Hopkins - Radulov

Drouin - Danault - Galchenyuk

Lehkonen - Bonino - Shaw

Martinsen - Mitchell - Byron

De La Rose

Markov - Weber

Schlemko - Petry

Davidson - Benn

Jerabek

Price

Montoya

*Note: Gallagher traded for Nugent-Hopkins, Plekanec traded for draft pick (50% salary retained)

That's a brutal D and I'd value Gallagher over the Nuge.  All my oiler friend hate him.  There is a reason he is on he third line in Edmonton 

51 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That's a brutal D and I'd value Gallagher over the Nuge.  All my oiler friend hate him.  There is a reason he is on he third line in Edmonton 

No doubt that McDavid and Draisatl passed him by on the depth chart.  They probably need to save some money and dealing RNH makes sense.  Now, dealing Gallagher means that Radulov and Galchenyuk are signed and ahead of him on the RW depth chart for the Habs.  Makes sense for both teams really.

Agreed, the D is weak and no doubt MB signs a new LHD - questions is who?

58 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He's on the third line cause McDavid and Draisaitl are REALLY ####ING GOOD. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He's on the third line cause McDavid and Draisaitl are REALLY ####ING GOOD. 

He was regressing for the past 4 years.  If he wasn't so average, they'd play him on the wing on the top two lines.  He has never lived up to his hype or potential.  Given that most teams value a centre over a winger, it's an indictment on him that the oilers could only get a quality Dman for Hall.

fascinating bit on the Nuge here:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3478384/blog-todd-mclellan-goes-to-bat-for-eberle-and-nugent-hopkins-on-oilers-now/

Basically his coach is encouraging him to be *less* of a complete player and to take more risks on offence! :crazy:

This sounds like Team Fuddy Duddy's dream player

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He was regressing for the past 4 years.  If he wasn't so average, they'd play him on the wing on the top two lines.  He has never lived up to his hype or potential.  Given that most teams value a centre over a winger, it's an indictment on him that the oilers could only get a quality Dman for Hall.

RNH spent most of the season centering the second line while Draisatl played wing with McDavid. 

The Hall return had nothing to do with RNH and everything to do with bringing in a defenseman. They were able to take a loss on that deal because they had Lucic waiting to sign there and replace Hall in the lineup. 

Show me the money... 

Bonino - 4 years/$16M (AAV $4M)

Galchenyuk - 2 years/$10M (AAV $5M)

Markov - 2 years/$11.5M (AAV $5.75M)

Alzner - 4 years/$18M (AAV $4.5M)

Pacioretty - Bonino - Galchenyuk

Drouin - Danault - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Shaw - Hudon

Martinsen - De La Rose - Byron

Plekanec, Mitchell

Alzner - Weber

Markov - Petry

Schlemko - Benn

Davidson

Price

Montoya

The only trade MB makes is dumping Plex (some salary retained, for a 3rd round pick).

13 minutes ago, illWill said:

RNH spent most of the season centering the second line while Draisatl played wing with McDavid. 

The Hall return had nothing to do with RNH and everything to do with bringing in a defenseman. They were able to take a loss on that deal because they had Lucic waiting to sign there and replace Hall in the lineup. 

It was widely reported that chiarrelli tried moving RNH for a top pairing dman but wasn't able to do so.  He also tried hard to move RNH for Larsson, but NJ insisted on Hall.

As much as I would love to see both Markov and Radulov back, I predict that only one of them will return, or neither will.  Radulov appears to be looking for a home run contract and I suspect another team will give him the term he's looking for.

Markov's move to represent himself, along with his previous action to become a Canadian citizen a few years ago, indicates he wants to stay.  Bergevin would probably prefer to only give him 1 season but I think in the end they will settle on 2 seasons.  

As much as the Habs desperately need a top 6 center, it's unlikely they will attract any of the big names such as Thornton, Marleau or even Bonino.  They may have a chance at Sam Gagner, who seems to have the least amount of rumours about where he may end up.  

I also predict they will sign a lesser known higher rick player like Stephane Da Costa or Andrei Loktionov,. Both of which are bottom six players but could give the Habs the flexibility to temporarily bump them into the top 2 lines when the Habs offence is not working for a game or two.  

Another UFA the Habs may consider signing is Francois Beauchemin, who played relatively well on a terrible Avalanche team last season.  

I've kinda settled in my own mind that I'd like to see the Habs sign Jumbo Joe as a patchup fix at C. Even in his dotage, he and Pacioretty could make a deadly duo. Whether it can work with the cap, term, etc, is another question.

But let me ask something else. Both Drouin and Galy have some experience at C. Is it completely insane to imagine that THEY could both be C for next season? I haven't heard a Galy-Drouin duo down the middle discussed much, but as crazy as it sounds, it would sure solve a lot of roster problems.