2017-18 lineup could be?

titanfan

I dont think we will have Radulov in the lineup next year...

If MB also trades away Chucky for a midpairing Dman I predict we are just a few years away from the dark ages again.

I am sure Price will head to UFA next year if we suck...

2018-19 team...

Pacioretty Bonino Drouin

Lekhonen Danault Scherbak

Shaw Plekanec Gallagher

De LaRose Hudon McCarron

Chuckys return - Weber

Juulsen - Petry

Schlemko - Benn

Haha. i hope I am wrong. ?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I've kinda settled in my own mind that I'd like to see the Habs sign Jumbo Joe as a patchup fix at C. Even in his dotage, he and Pacioretty could make a deadly duo. Whether it can work with the cap, term, etc, is another question.

But let me ask something else. Both Drouin and Galy have some experience at C. Is it completely insane to imagine that THEY could both be C for next season? I haven't heard a Galy-Drouin duo down the middle discussed much, but as crazy as it sounds, it would sure solve a lot of roster problems.

When the deal was made and it was pointed out that Drouin played centre, I had proposed trying both at centres.  Lineups could look as follows:

pacioretty-Drouin-Radulov 

lekhonan-galchenyuk-Gallagher 

Byron-danault-Hudon

Shaw- McCain-Mitchell 

of of course we need to find someone to dump pleks on and resign radulov.  If we go this route we need to make a commitment to both Drouin and galchenyuk and not screw around with changing positions like in the past.

most won't agree with Shaw on the 4th line, but that's how i see him.

I've kinda settled in my own mind that I'd like to see the Habs sign Jumbo Joe as a patchup fix at C. Even in his dotage, he and Pacioretty could make a deadly duo. Whether it can work with the cap, term, etc, is another question.

But let me ask something else. Both Drouin and Galy have some experience at C. Is it completely insane to imagine that THEY could both be C for next season? I haven't heard a Galy-Drouin duo down the middle discussed much, but as crazy as it sounds, it would sure solve a lot of roster problems.

I think the Habs could be a solid team with Drouin and Galchenyuk at center

Pacioretty-Drouin-Radulov

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

The problem is Danault was played higher on the depth chart than Galchenyuk at the end of last season so the feeling I get, like with Jumbo Joe, is that acquiring another top 6 would settle the issue. If we keep Galchenyuk and start the season with him and Drouin at center, there's always the risk that Plekanec or Danault, or even worse, both will end up back in the top 6. 

I do get the feeling that if we don't acquire a top 6 center, we might end up seeing what you suggested to start the season but in all honesty it's just as likely that we see Danault in the top 6 again. Although I keep slotting them in on the 3rd or 4th lines in my mock lineups, it's hard to envision either Plekanec or Danault actually centering the 4th line and they're both still on the team.

As it stands right now with the team we have, I'd be interested in seeing a Drouin/Galchenyuk 1a 1b. I think the more likely outcome with Julien would be a Drouin/Danault 1 2 and I'm not so thrilled with that.

With all the names out there, my preference would be to go with a Thornton/Drouin combo up the middle. We need a center like that more than anyone and it would give us a real chance this year. I think I'd be just as excited about our chances as I was after acquiring Vanek.

I agree on Jumbo Joe, but the other posters are surely right it ain't happening.

It sounds as though many of us agree on the following:

1. Drouin/Galchenyuk makes some sense as a duo at C, thereby resolving the organization's biggest, most chronic problem in one fell swoop without necessitating further player moves.

AND

2. The coaching staff is too hidebound by anxiety over the '200 foot game' and too unimaginative to make this a possibility They prefer to miscast an obvious plumber like Danault in an offensive role, hampering the team's ability to win just as much as any defensive miscues by Galy might do.

Therefore,

3. The Habs seem to be forced by their own plodding, risk-averse fuddy-duddyism into either signing some bad UFA contract or else making some risky trade in order to "fix" what doesn't even have to be a problem in the first place.

In other words, we have here a portrait of an organization determined to manufacture problems for itself rather than take the solutions ready to hand. This is just what you'd expect of a group that "solved" a make-believe problem via the Subban trade and succeeded mainly in shortening its own Cup window.

Team Fuddy-Duddy 4ever!!!

6 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Man...  if Radu is back,  Plekanec has got to go.

I think he has to go regardless of whether Radulov is back

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think he has to go regardless of whether Radulov is back

hehehehe

It's funny cuz it's true.

Get the feeling that they do plan to go with committee of Drouin-Galchenyuk-Plekanec and maybe a #2 centre they sign tomorrow?

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Get the feeling that they do plan to go with committee of Drouin-Galchenyuk-Plekanec and maybe a #2 centre they sign tomorrow?

Let's hope so. Except for the Plekanec part.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Let's hope so. Except for the Plekanec part.

Still hanging on that he will rebound offensively...I know very unlikely but gotta hope he does.

2 hours ago, habscout said:

I also predict they will sign a lesser known higher rick player like Stephane Da Costa or Andrei Loktionov,. Both of which are bottom six players but could give the Habs the flexibility to temporarily bump them into the top 2 lines when the Habs offence is not working for a game or two. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Montreal is one of the teams in on Da Costa.  I'd be surprised if Loktionov got much interest though, he wasn't all that good in his last stint and hasn't been lighting it up in the KHL.

A little bit of a shameless plug here but don't forget to get your picks in for the UFA pool. http://www.habsworld.net/2017/06/2017-habsworld-ufa-pool/

so if all turns out in our favour and both radulov(7) and markov(6) sign we will have a log jam and another trade will be imminent as we will be at or over the cap. you would have to figure that Galchenyuk will be getting at least Drouin money at the very least, taking him to UFA. if we sign him for 8 years excpect at least 6.5mil

pacioretty galchenyuk radulov

drouin danault Lehkonen*

byron plex Gallagher

Hudon Mitchell Shaw

DeLaRose MCCarron Martinson*

markov weber

Alzner petry

Schlemko Benn

Jerabek Davidson*

Price 

Montoya

*offhand

i would think salary will need to be shed to fit galchenyuks raise in there plus we are 2 above the 23man roster?

my guess is plex, mitchell, mccarron are on the block as well as one of gallagher or shaw 

I'm going with the optimism here, Radulov and Markov both end up unable to actually say goodbye to Montreal, and come back. Also, No one is taking Plekanec off our hands, so I say we use what we got, give the old turtle neck one last season to show he can crack the 40 point mark, and last season was just a fluke. 

Pacioretty - Danault - Radulov  - because that line worked as good as it did last season, i'd say keep it together for the whole year, yes Danault is not an ideal top line center but he is all we have that worked extremely well with the two wingers, work with what you got.

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Drouin - yup i'm giving Pleky one last season with quality wingers to show he ain't finished, he is also going to be required to clean up the many defensive breakdowns the two dynamic kids will be causing. That said, i'm all for letting them go nuts in the playground and reap the rewards as long as someone of worth is babysitting. And as mentioned earlier Plekanec ain't goin no place this year, and i'd rather give him a last shot and spend 6 mill on a second line center than a 3rd.

Lehkonen - Shaw - Gallagher  - Shaw looked his best in awhile when he was centering the 3rd line in the playoffs, i'd go with it again, and give him some quality young wingers with offensive upside to see if we can't get a 3rd line capable of producing pretty regularly.

Hudon - McCaron - Byron  - McCaron and Hudon have a connection and Byron is well, Byron, this line could end up being dynamic and dangerous on some nights. The mix of Size, Speed, and Skill are meshed well between the 3 players and could be intriguing.

Mitchell and Martinsen are my extras, while Scherbak is my speed dial call up if an offensive top 9 player goes down to injury.

On Defense

Markov - Weber  - pretty obvious here, they played very well together last year when paired, and Markov showed by reducing his PK minutes to virtually nothing that he could handle top pair 5 on 5 and PP with little issues.

Alzner - Petry  - this duo should mesh very well, Alzner will stabilize this pair with his consistency, and I think Petry will play a much looser and relaxed game which will in turn help him have possibly his best year as a Hab.

Schlemko - Benn  - another duo that should mesh well, being polar opposite type player, they will compliment eachother very well and should provide an effective and rock steady bottom pair.

Jerabek and Davidson are my extras

32 minutes ago, Link67 said:

I'm going with the optimism here, Radulov and Markov both end up unable to actually say goodbye to Montreal, and come back. Also, No one is taking Plekanec off our hands, so I say we use what we got, give the old turtle neck one last season to show he can crack the 40 point mark, and last season was just a fluke. 

Pacioretty - Danault - Radulov  - because that line worked as good as it did last season, i'd say keep it together for the whole year, yes Danault is not an ideal top line center but he is all we have that worked extremely well with the two wingers, work with what you got.

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Drouin - yup i'm giving Pleky one last season with quality wingers to show he ain't finished, he is also going to be required to clean up the many defensive breakdowns the two dynamic kids will be causing. That said, i'm all for letting them go nuts in the playground and reap the rewards as long as someone of worth is babysitting. And as mentioned earlier Plekanec ain't goin no place this year, and i'd rather give him a last shot and spend 6 mill on a second line center than a 3rd.

Lehkonen - Shaw - Gallagher  - Shaw looked his best in awhile when he was centering the 3rd line in the playoffs, i'd go with it again, and give him some quality young wingers with offensive upside to see if we can't get a 3rd line capable of producing pretty regularly.

Hudon - McCaron - Byron  - McCaron and Hudon have a connection and Byron is well, Byron, this line could end up being dynamic and dangerous on some nights. The mix of Size, Speed, and Skill are meshed well between the 3 players and could be intriguing.

Mitchell and Martinsen are my extras, while Scherbak is my speed dial call up if an offensive top 9 player goes down to injury.

On Defense

Markov - Weber  - pretty obvious here, they played very well together last year when paired, and Markov showed by reducing his PK minutes to virtually nothing that he could handle top pair 5 on 5 and PP with little issues.

Alzner - Petry  - this duo should mesh very well, Alzner will stabilize this pair with his consistency, and I think Petry will play a much looser and relaxed game which will in turn help him have possibly his best year as a Hab.

Schlemko - Benn  - another duo that should mesh well, being polar opposite type player, they will compliment eachother very well and should provide an effective and rock steady bottom pair.

Jerabek and Davidson are my extras

By any reasonable expectations of salary for Galchenyuk, Radulov, and Markov, this team does not fit under the salary cap, and it's not even particularly close. 

Pick 2 of the 3, or basically pick Rads or Markov.

3 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

By any reasonable expectations of salary for Galchenyuk, Radulov, and Markov, this team does not fit under the salary cap, and it's not even particularly close. 

Pick 2 of the 3, or basically pick Rads or Markov.

If w sign all 3, amd offered two seconds or a first to vegas for pleks, we could probably make room. With our current D and maxpac's contract,I see a two year window.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If w sign all 3, amd offered two seconds or a first to vegas for pleks, we could probably make room. With our current D and maxpac's contract,I see a two year window.

Vegas is still in sell mode with the players they have now. Currently 7th in the league in cap hit, and you know they want to be in the bottom 3rd. 

The only teams sniffing near the bottom of the cap floor are NJ, Carolina, and Arizona. 

Just now, Trizzak said:

Vegas is still in sell mode with the players they have now. Currently 7th in the league in cap hit, and you know they want to be in the bottom 3rd. 

The only teams sniffing near the bottom of the cap floor are NJ, Carolina, and Arizona. 

Yeah, but if they get pleks for 3/4 of the year as a veteran presence and get picks from us and at the deadline, I can see them being interested.

So after July 1st we have gone back two years

the line up will probably look like this

pacoiretty-Galchenyuk-drouin

lehkonen-plekanec-Gallagher 

Byron-danault-shaw

martinsen-Hudson-mccarron 

?-weber 

alzner-petry 

schlemko-benn

price

wow we are in trouble if the injury bug hits us and guys are out for a long period of time.

Forgot about hemsky. Don't know why we signed him. Would of just saved the roster spot and is if by some miracle a young guy steps up.

58 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Who is Hudson? Why is he at Centre, when thats not his position?

Why is Plekanec ahead of Danault?

How did we go back two years?

We saw last season that Julien likes playing Plekanec in the top 6. It wouldn't surprise me. The only thing is that Plekanec in the top 6 still had him behind Danault.

I've got to give him credit when it comes to being able to adapt to the present but I really think Julien values Plekanec a lot based on the past.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Byron-Danault-Drouin

Lehkonen-Plekanec-Hemsky

Martinsen-DeLaRose-Shaw

Mitchell, Hudon

Markov-Weber

Alzner-Petry

Schlemko-Benn

Jerabek

Price

Montoya

Probably what I would go with on opening night with the current lineup and Markov. Everyone forgets poor little 20 goal scorer Byron.