2017 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

With the playoffs now over, the focus shifts to what should be a very busy few weeks around the league with the Expansion Draft, the Entry Draft, and Free Agency.  This thread will be for discussion of general news league-wide.

If there are going to be trades before expansion (and there probably will be), they'll need to be done by this Saturday.  There's a trade/waiver freeze starting at 3 PM EST on Saturday lasting through to 8 AM EST on the 22nd thanks to expansion.  One exception will be any trade agreements with the Golden Knights.

• dlbalr pinned this topic

Can teams get Knights make a deal to agree not to select a certain young player that wouldn't be protected from a teams roster, for a draft pick or $ and select another from roster instead?

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Can teams get Knights make a deal to agree not to select a certain young player that wouldn't be protected from a teams roster, for a draft pick or $ and select another from roster instead?

A player has to be selected (or signed) from each team, but GMs can make "incentive" trades to get the Knights to pass over one of their players in favour of another player. 

One rumored deal already out there is that Chicago will trade Trevor Van Riemsdyk to the Knights IF the Knights also agree to select Krueger in the draft. (Or vice versa... Krueger is traded there, and Van Riemsdyk is left available to be drafted.)

Thanks, I doubt Bergy would offer up a pick to get them to take a bad contract.

Habs don't have anyone vital that really would be missed badly. Losing a Beaulieu, Benn or Hudon/de la Rose just wouldn't be a big loss.

4 hours ago, DON said:

Habs don't have anyone vital that really would be missed badly. Losing a Beaulieu, Benn or Hudon/de la Rose just wouldn't be a big loss.

I think need all the assets we can get or keep so I can see Beaulieu being traded or a side deal being made so they don't lose a D-man. If Bergevin protects Plex over Hudon then he really is an idiot and I will be on the fire Bergy bandwagon. Plexs is done offensively and Hudon has potential 

7 hours ago, PMAC said:

I think need all the assets we can get or keep so I can see Beaulieu being traded or a side deal being made so they don't lose a D-man. If Bergevin protects Plex over Hudon then he really is an idiot and I will be on the fire Bergy bandwagon. Plexs is done offensively and Hudon has potential 

Eric Staal was done offensively as well, till he wasn't.

12 hours ago, DON said:

I think losing Beaulieu for nothing would be regrettable...a bit like losing Hainsey on waivers all those years ago. I share the general ambivalence about N8, but we need puck moving defencemen, and he has the potential to be a productive second-tier guy.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think losing Beaulieu for nothing would be regrettable...a bit like losing Hainsey on waivers all those years ago. I share the general ambivalence about N8, but we need puck moving defencemen, and he has the potential to be a productive second-tier guy.

Well then, just gotta hope Nate the Great is traded in next 3 or 4 days then, but it is Bergevin so of course being as stupid as he is, he will do the wrong thing.

18 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

There's some people who believe Vegas will take Plekanec because he's a personal favourite of Gallant's. He might see Plek as the right guy to be the first Captain.

I'd sweeten the put to make it happen. 

Take Plekanec, here's a 2nd rounder 58th overall. 

52 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'd sweeten the put to make it happen. 

Take Plekanec, here's a 2nd rounder 58th overall. 

Sweeten the pot only if necessary. Pleks has a lot of respect around the league, and we've seen many times that a player's Rep often takes a while to catch up their actual performance. Whatever else happens, though, we need Pleks's contract off the books. And frankly, I also think we need to excise him in order to remove any temptation by stodgy coaches to fall back upon him as a 'safe' option in the top 6. He is no longer in any way a top-6 FW, but I'm not sure I trust the coaches to 100% accept that. One way to soften the fetish for veterans is to ship out those vets when they become washed up.

The buyout window opens up tomorrow and we already have a couple of players who have been informed they'll be let go - Matt Greene of LA and Dan Girardi of the Rangers.  They'll be paying him for the next six years not to play for them with cap hits ranging from $1.11 million to as high as $3.61 million. 

16 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Dan Girardi over Anton Stralman is one of the dumbest moves in NHL recent history.

Forsberg for Erat move by Caps was a head scratcher also.

Two days left before roster freeze...will Bergy make a move before then?

17 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Dan Girardi over Anton Stralman is one of the dumbest moves in NHL recent history.

I would hit up Kordic for Courtnall in that top 5 :)

4 minutes ago, ehjay said:

I would hit up Kordic for Courtnall in that top 5 :)

Your definition of "recent" is a bit different from mine ;) It *is* nice to be reminded of a major trade the Habs actually won, however.

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Your definition of "recent" is a bit different from mine ;) It *is* nice to be reminded of a major trade the Habs actually won, however.

I blame legalization :D

Mike Smith to the Flames for Brandon Hickey, third rounder and rights to Chad Johnson. Coyotes will retain 25% of his salary. 

Not sure he's the answer in Calgary but at least they are attempting to fix it.

17 hours ago, Trizzak said:

The salary cap is officially set at 75 million.

Is that higher/lower than expected? What was last years cap?

So was said Habs now have $17m left for 27-47 & 79.

$4.5 for Markov, $6 Galchenyuk would leave $6.5 for Radulov. Seems darn tight, without off-loading Plekanec or Emelin's salary.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic